Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 107487 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Facebook
« Reply #390 on: October 09, 2010, 01:50:41 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how to find Steve from Vancouver, Sylvia Hotel bar in 1968 ... ;)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 09, 2010, 02:09:53 PM »
A couple of friends from the past have found me on FB and invted me back to Ottawa for school reunions next summer. Aside from the problems I have with pollen allergies in Ottawa, there's the distance to cover. But it was interesting to have been found on FB. Usually I'm the one doing the looking.

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #392 on: October 18, 2010, 02:26:53 PM »
@BCCLA just reminded me on Twitter that I meant to post this earlier. FP Tech Desk: Facebook apps sending personal information to data tracking firms – WSJ
Facebook is facing a fresh round of privacy woes following the revelation that some of the most popular applications, or “apps” on the world’s largest social network have been relaying the personal information of millions of users — including their full names in some cases — to advertisers, in direct violation of the site’s revamped privacy policies.
I'm on the mailing list for the Diaspora project which is intended to be a competitor for Facebook with much better control over privacy. I'll let y'all know when it's open for business.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #393 on: December 28, 2010, 01:26:30 PM »
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 10, 2011, 07:36:20 PM »
ROTFL!!! Anonymous to Kill Facebook  :applause

The Anonymous Vid they speak of.

Today after arriving up at the boonies, I heard someone yell to another, LOL, literally, in their conversation.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 19, 2011, 09:40:54 AM »
Facebook friend tally is associated with differences in brain structure

People with lots of Facebook friends have denser grey matter in three regions of the brain, a study suggests The brains of people with large numbers of Facebook friends are different from those of people with fewer online connections, say neuroscientists.

The researchers at University College London found that users with the greatest number of friends on the social networking site had more grey matter in brain regions linked to social skills. The finding suggests that either social networking changes these brain regions, or that people born with these kinds of brains behave differently on websites like Facebook.

In August, Baroness Susan Greenfield, former director of the Royal Institution, made the controversial suggestion that greater use of digital technology might be responsible for increases in the number of people diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorders. The researchers said their work did not directly answer such questions but helped show how future studies could be designed to do so.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:41:27 AM by Boom Boom »

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #396 on: February 21, 2012, 06:42:29 AM »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 25, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »
I don't want to get timelined and I have removed pics etc., but I didn't know about Google. I followed the instructions to remove history and surprise, I did it!

http://www.itworld.com/security/253146/faq-how-tell-google-forget-you-and-make-it-stick
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

greenvie

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 25, 2012, 06:58:23 PM »
Thanks for that Toe. I removed my Google history too, which also means it "pauses" or "stops" them tracking my history.  But they could start doing it again in the future.

I had read about their new privacy policy, which will amalgamate all Google apps into one database, used to track our wanderings on the net, as of March 1. So if you want to stop this history harvesting, it needs to be done before then. I had to do it from https://google.ca/history, not google.com, as stated in the article.

anyone who has ever used Google Search has only until March 1 to delete their previous web history before it becomes part of a monstrous, permanent multifaceted customer-behavioral profile of them

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 26, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 14, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 20, 2012, 11:04:34 PM »
So when I made a comment on my First Cousin's twins birthdays, guess what came up? It said Try Again. Just because I registered a ficticious surname.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 23, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »
Facebook keeps asking me How I Feel? So when I say FB is not my fucking therapist, it's deleted.  :))

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #403 on: March 19, 2013, 06:46:30 AM »
So I deleted my Facebook account. There are people I seem to only see there but I can't continue to be part of an organization that is so blatantly misogynist.

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 19, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »
Debra, the misogyny is the worst part but I can't figure out their methods and motives.  I like to be in touch with people too. I had to get in touch with a friend the other day so I went to her timeline page to send her a private message. On her page, I saw all kinds of news and photos that I'd never seen -- pics of her with her kids, their recent vacation etc.

Meanwhile, over on my news feed, I continue to get the same three or four people who post unending lists of everything they're reading. Some of it might be interesting but lately, I'm just scrolling through.  And I like dogs as much as the next person, but on top of other people's reading material, I'm getting picture after picture of lost dogs.

Mixed into all this are the "inspirational" sayings, stupid posters and ecards.

It's reached the point where if I get a personal status report and a photo that someone has actually taken, I'm quite grateful!

Return To TAT