Author Topic: Blog against Theocracy  (Read 7115 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Blog against Theocracy
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 08:00:13 AM »
I didn't forget, but I'm busy. I don't know whether this poll is inspiring or depressing.

Most see God-creation link: Poll

Jul 03, 2007 01:58 PM
Canadian Press

OTTAWA — Canadians may not be as religious as Americans, but a new poll suggests they are not prepared to rule out God’s essential role in creation.

The Canadian Press-Decima Research survey suggests that 60 per cent of Canadians believe God had either a direct or indirect role in creating mankind, shattering the myth that Canadians had long ago put their faith strictly behind the scientific explanation for creation.

The poll suggests Canadians divide in essentially three groups on the issue of creation: 34 per cent of those polled said humans developed over millions of years under a process guided by God; 26 per cent said God created humans alone within the last 10,000 years or so; and 29 per cent said they believe evolution occurred with no help from God.

Caissa

• View Profile
Blog against Theocracy
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 08:59:15 AM »
As usual, the poll question tries to intermingle science and faith. When will they learn they are two different paradigms dealing with two different topics.

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
Blog against Theocracy
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 01:41:22 AM »
Rats. It's not accepting my post--I followed all of the destructions, too :(

Oh well. I see they're having trouble sorting spam from real submissions, so perhaps I'll try again in the A.M.  In the meantime, here's my submission:
"It's just you & me against the world, baby!"

I think you'll like the YouTubery at the end, even if you can't stands the writing etc ;)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Blog against Theocracy
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 02:06:15 AM »
The writing is terrific  :rotfl:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
Blog against Theocracy
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 02:51:55 AM »
Thanks, Toe!  Isn't Chris Hedges fab? I've been looking for an excuse to post a bit of his stuff lately.

BTW, I loved his book, 'War is a force that gives us meaning.' It's one of those books you feel like thrusting into everybody's mailbox (so to speak). I haven't read his new book ("American Fascists") yet. On my list  :mrgreen:

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: Blog against Theocracy
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 04:57:50 PM »
Come Together

Brief musings on religion (not theology) and economics and science. (Pretty scary, eh kids?)

I like things that bring people together - uniters, consolidators. I was a fan (tepid) of Obama's until he decided to become the Second Coming of Bush and all things evul he had wrot.

Science is a great unified now. Cosmology tell us of our minuscule place in all creation and Darwin gave us our spot in the evolution of all species and life. We are no more special than a paramecium and our species remarkable only in that it is here when 99.99% of all species that ever existed have disappeared. But all humanity is united in that.

Concepts like the British White Man's Burden (note the name of the website that a google search led me to) not only does a disservice to Kipling but is condescending, wrong and set one group over another: American Exceptionalism is another one - it takes a divisive view of American's place in the world. 'We are not like everyone else because ... well we are not like everyone else.', which is a fallacy that is far from logical, as well as separating the American people from most of humanity, infuriate me.  

Rather than God Save the King/Queen, or claiming that America is 'the new Jerusalem' I prefer what Tommy Douglas often quoted (and adapted for Canada) William Blakes:
'...and we can build a new Jerusalem,
In this green and pleasant land.'

The new Jerusalem is not ordained as ours by any God (Tommy was an ordained minister, afer all) but has to be built, built by our efforts; the shining city on the hill must be constructed. Just like everyone else, we have to work to bring about a successful future. We are connected with all humanity in that way.

I guess I misspent the 80s. i was too busy trying to block a terribly polluting pulp mill from being built in Athabasca Alberta, , and working on various oil behemoths to find more environmentally sensitive ways to produce usable oil from the oil sands. (There are!) I missed a TV show called: Growing Pains with some kids named Kirk Cameron, who has given up acting in favour of thumping bibles.  

It seems our buy Kirk, has accepted that he cannot attack the science in 'The Origin of Species' directly - so he plans (planned apparently) to pass out 50,000 copies of it with a warning introduction. He even made a Yourtube video promoting the idea ..... He is not a uniter ... not a unifier ... in fact he is a prevaricator and a misleader. Here is a video that refutes his promo. If you watch it you can save yourself the time watching the original - it dismantles it bit by hunk.

[youtube:ofo49hk4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmHN3JtyUXg[/youtube:ofo49hk4]
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT