Author Topic: Clean By Design  (Read 19976 times)

kuri

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« on: March 30, 2007, 12:21:51 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards some (preferrably avaliable in Canada) resources for home design that are "self-cleaning" or "easier to clean".

For example, kitchen counters that are very slightly sloped towards the sink so as to make any spill run towards the sink instead of on the floor.

Or, for another example, toilets that are flat on the outside. I was looking at toilets at the Home Depot and they all have a relief of the pipe on the outside! Like so. Why not just have the whole thing be smooth and flat on the outside so there's no little crevices for dirt and water to go into? Does that just make too much sense?

Anyone know about stuff like this?

lagatta

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »
I have the opposite, although this flat is far easier to clean than the last, as its floors were ruined, and here I have nice varathaned wooden floors.

My kitchen is VERY crooked - our co-op has a suit against the architects who failed to have the building properly shored up - and my kitchen counter actually slopes backwards towards the wall a bit, so I have to lean over and make sure no water or other spills pool up at the corner and cause mould and mildew...

I have seen toilets like that in the Netherlands, as they are cleaning pros. However, some toilets in the Netherlands and Germany have a rather yucky "shelf" where one could examine the state of one's feces, were one into that kind of thing...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

kuri

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 01:16:54 PM »
I actually have the same problem in my kitchen, lagatta, not because the design of the counters is wrong, but because they're rotting slightly and are propped up by a piece of wood in the back. We want to redo our kitchen, but the upstairs is higher priority right now. (Just because we need the extra space! For one thing, I'll have *an office* after that reno is done!)

But the new upstairs will have a small bathroom, and neither L. nor I being particularly good housekeepers, I'd like to design this one so as to make it easy for us.

Those Dutch toilets sound good - they would be smart enough to do stuff like that. I bet it would be pricy to special order something like that from here....

vmichel

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 02:12:12 PM »
Don Aslett has written several books about how to design your home to make it easy to clean. I can't think of the names, but they are great. They are kind of cutesy-folksy, but if you can get past that it sounds like he might be up your alley.

I will warn you that you might not like him politically -- he is Mormon, very old-school, and these books are from the 70's and written for the "housewife." But the content is excellent.

It's actually one of those cases where the far left and far right collide. Because of his religion/politics he really believes in d-i-y, not spending a lot of money for commercial products if you don't need to, and keeping a clean home in the minimal amount of time so that you have more time for other things. He's very critical of the "cult of domesticity" and the consumer-istic expectation that women fetishize their living spaces. All of which is rather progressive, in my opinion.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »
What's the point of cleaning the house? It just gets dirty again. Big deal. I do a complete cleaning once in the summer, once in the winter. I live in a rural area. I don't get why folks are so peculiar about cleaning. Me bruddah lives in a country house with a family, half a dozen cats two or three dogs, and one door is often left open in the daytime when they're home in the summer.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Clean By Design
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 03:53:37 PM »
Yeah, but, Boom Boom, you and I live alone. We set our own standards. :wink: (How's the leg and assorted other hurty bits?)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 03:55:45 PM »
I saw the nurse this afternoon, and she's made another appointment for me to go to the hospital next Tuesday to get the escaped blood drained. The leg is still swollen, itchy, and sometimes painful to walk on. Last week she said keep it on ice and elevated. Now she says keep a warm compress on it and keep it elevated.  :roll:

kuri

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 03:56:24 PM »
Are his books still in print, vmichel?

Boom boom,  :lol: if you saw my house, you'd know I'm not very particular about cleaning. But bathrooms bother me quicker than other rooms...

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 03:59:04 PM »
I run a wet towel with my foot on the bathroom floor after a shower. I might clean the toilet bowl once a month if it needs it.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Clean By Design
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 04:12:32 PM »
I wish I cleaned more often than I do -- I like a certain level of cleanliness -- but I'm also very irritated by fuss. A place with six cats and one chain-smoker is never going to meet most people's standards, so ... there.

I worry sometimes, though, that some of the fussers I know might want to have me put away.

anne cameron

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 09:38:14 PM »
Boom...if ever I decide I need a man in my life, I'm going to beg you to come live with me.  At least you foot-towel the wet floor in the bathroom.  Too many just leave it.

I hate housework.  For the past couple of months, well, nearly three, I've had this thing called "frozen shoulder", and, of course, it's my right shoulder and I'm heavily right-sided.

Wonderful excuse.  Oh, when the shoulder is better I"ll do my windows... when the shoulder heals I'll...

My daughter, whom I adore, ws coming over to "do".  I know I gave birth to her , breast fed her, have pampered her and loved her completely, but at times I really wonder how I managed to raise Mrs. Clean.  We have reached a compromise, though, and she has agreed she will NOT bring my hovel up to her standards.

Three dogs, three cats...dust buggers the size of Euclid trucks greet me each morning.  Skinny Minnie Ambereyes is shedding, lordy, could make felt saddleblankets out of what is drifting off her.

SUNSHINE this afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!  YAY SUNSHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My darling Emily came in, one hand behind her back.  "I have a beautiful surprise for you, Grandma. Look!".  A five year old mittfull of crocus.  She got them from "the flower place over by Auntie's house".  The crocus are in a small vase and we've talked about why it is Grandma never picks her flowers..the bees need them for food...and after the talk Emily looked at me and asked "do you like your flowers".  Much smooching, much cuddling and of COURSE I like my flowers, thank you my nice girl.  Auntie came over a while later and I 'fessed up.

she shrugged.  Then grinned and said Well, at least they aren't daffodils and she didn't eat them.  When my youngest son was about two he went outside in the spring sunshine and ate the flowers off all the daffs.

I found a photo today of my mother, Annie, taken when my grandgrrrrl Jenelle was about three.  Jen graduates this year, two years ahead of herself.  She wants to go to medical school.  I look at that picture of Annie and , except for the face, I think it's me.   My face has never looked the least bit like Annie's but I recognize the body shape.

Yes, this is thread drift.  Is someone going to sue me?

It's what I do instead of housework!!

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 10:14:51 PM »
Quote from: anne cameron
Boom...if ever I decide I need a man in my life, I'm going to beg you to come live with me.

That would be a first. No one's ever begged me to move in with them. :shock:  :rotfl:

Timebandit

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 11:18:04 PM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
I saw the nurse this afternoon, and she's made another appointment for me to go to the hospital next Tuesday to get the escaped blood drained. The leg is still swollen, itchy, and sometimes painful to walk on. Last week she said keep it on ice and elevated. Now she says keep a warm compress on it and keep it elevated.  :roll:

Actually, good advice, Boom Boom.  At first you need the ice to slow down any residual bleeding.  Once that's over with, you want warmth to speed healing.  It does work, even if it seems contradictory.  Trust me, I live with a moto-crosser...  :shock:  :lol:
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Clean By Design
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 06:33:49 AM »
I'd beg you to move here, Boom Boom, but ... I don't have a bathtub.

So I think it would be better for me to move there.    :bath

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 07:25:41 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
I'd beg you to move here, Boom Boom, but ... I don't have a bathtub.

So I think it would be better for me to move there.    :bath

Well, if you insist...  :D

Return To TAT