Author Topic: Clean By Design  (Read 20140 times)

k'in

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2007, 08:34:54 PM »
I know a couple (second marriage for both) that made a list of things they a) like to do b) are ambivalent about & c) detest when they first got together.  About 80% of the chores got allocated to one or the other or were things they did together.  The remaining 20% they take turns.  It sounds clinical but they seem to avoid conflict over the mundane stuff.

I wonder if part of the problem with house cleaning is that it is a dynamic challenge.  If one can manage to clean the whole house on one day, there is a fleeting satisfaction of equilibrium but living results in dust, dishes, disorder and so on.  So-there is never a sense of completion, that the job is *done* that you get with a building project, or even at least for a year with filing a tax return.

I agree with brebis noire and anne cameron that the scope of house work requires a broad skill set, and while most individuals are good at certain specific tasks, rare is the person who is good/efficient at doing all of them.

Scout

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2007, 11:27:10 PM »
I have 4 cats, a dog and a job so I have a cleaner. We are her favorite clients cause I never bitch or do the white glove test and we pay well and weekly. She's got tons of clients in our building on our refferal now. She says condo peeps pay better and aren't difficult. She must work for the non-annoying people in my building.

I have a cleaner because she and I see eye to eye about how tidy and clean things should be, sometimes she even out does me, the Boyscout has a different view on the matter. It saves us from scrapping about cleaning. She's good for my marriage.

I tidy before she comes and I can't be here when she's working. I feel shame, even though I shouldn't and we live in 900 square feet, so I can't escape the dread vaccum. I hate the vaccum.

Timebandit

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2007, 01:49:29 PM »
Yes, multiple critters increase the load.  We have three cats and a large dog in addition to the two kids.  Spring is a time of muddy boots and pawprints for us.  The only thing I miss about winter is the fact that footprints tend to evaporate.

Another thought -- I watched my mother attempt to do the superwoman thing when I was growing up.  Not quite the same situation as me, I have a much more flexible schedule than she does, but she worked full time, had two kids and we had numerous pets and still tried to keep her house up to what she felt was an acceptable standard.  She got soooo burnt out!  The stress of feeling she had to do it all coupled with chronic depression brought on a "nervous" breakdown.  She didn't feel she had any choice, either -- she had to go to work because we needed the income, and living in a dirty house was an enormous failure to her way of thinking.  

My standards of housekeeping are considerably lower than my mother's, and while I work because we need the income, I also work because I need to for other reasons.  I refuse to feel guilty for getting help with my housework.  I absolutely refuse.  I used to work as a house cleaner.  I know how bad it can be, and how it can actually work really well for someone.  Instead of feeling guilt, I pride myself on being a good employer, and do my best to live up to that.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

kuri

• View Profile
Clean By Design
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2007, 01:57:36 PM »
My mom did the superwoman thing, too. I never want to feel that stressed, or that resentful of my partner.

She actually did hire a cleaner for a bit though. It didn't work out, however, and we had very pink clothes, bed sheets and anything else you'd care to mention for a long time afterwards......

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Clean By Design
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2008, 07:20:26 PM »
Can anyone tell me the purpose of copper scouring pads?

As much as I can, I try to clean my pots and pans with slow work and hot water. I grew up with SOS (soaped steel) pads, but I've given them up because I think they destroy the surface of good enamel or stainless, which will come clean given half a chance. And then there is the cured cast iron, whose surface you really don't want to hurt, not with soap, anyway.

But the copper pads are just metal, no soap. Does anyone use them? What are they for?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »
According to Scotch Brite

Copper scouring pads are specially designed with long-lasting copper edges that cut through tough soil and burnt-on food. Ideal for copper, aluminum, grills, and broiler pans and unlike steel wool, this metal pad will not rust or splinter.

But I hear ketchup is best for copper bottom pots
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »
Do you use the ketchup on the inside (steel) or the outside (copper)?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2008, 08:04:39 PM »
copper side

here are more home made copper cleaners

http://www.everbrite.net/copper_cleaner.htm

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2008, 08:12:45 PM »
Got it.

The ketchup on the copper
Is the brew that is true.

And another classic: "Yondah is da castle of my foddah." (That's Tony Curtis doing medieval Bronx in the 1950s.)

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2008, 08:16:20 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
Got it.

The ketchup on the copper
Is the brew that is true.

And another classic: "Yondah is da castle of my foddah." (That's Tony Curtis doing medieval Bronx in the 1950s.)

Er... ah... well... um, that is to say...

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2008, 08:21:38 PM »
I saw that movie! In t'original! And he was definitely doing medieval Bronx.

"The chalice in the palace / Has the brew that is true" -- or however that goes -- that is not Tony Curtis. It is Danny Kaye in ... something.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2008, 08:27:05 PM »

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
I saw that movie! In t'original! And he was definitely doing medieval Bronx.

Yabbut he never said "Yondah lies da castle..." anymore than Humphrey Bogart, or Ingrid Bergman (or Claude Rains, or...) said "Play it again, Sam."

Or as the inimitable Yogi Berra put it, "I really didn't say everything I said."

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »
We fought over cleaning for a year or two in the early days - mostly I was atoning for the sins of R's last partner, who apparently did very little and made a big deal of what little he did.  Eventually we found a balance - split the house, take turns on which half.  I do dishes always because I can do it quick and it takes her until 10 pm for some reason.  She does some stuff that I never do.  It mostly works out.

For whatever reason, I am the crustiest grumpiest bastage when I'm doing the cleaning.  One long string of hard-done-by inner monologue invective going through my brain.  It's irrational, I keep it wholly to myself, but there is no denying that cleaning makes me a petulant teenager - not that I don't like it when it's all done.

Nowadays I'm often at home when the rest of the family is out, so I just do it and then it's done.  I'd still hire a cleaner in a flash if I thought we could afford it, but R's the high flyer in this family and even high flyers don't get paid all that much in the nonprofit world.

Now, one of those Scooba robot thingies that lives under your couch and comes out to wash all your floors for you while you are at the grocery store or the office, that I would like to buy.  I think there's a vacuum version too, but we aren't holding with carpet in this house.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »
For whatever reason, I am the crustiest grumpiest bastage when I'm doing the cleaning. One long string of hard-done-by inner monologue invective going through my brain
 :lol:

Me too. I'm good at cleaning and can do it very quickly but I detest and resent every minute of it.  :annoyed:

Return To TAT