Author Topic: Feminist films/movies?  (Read 2471 times)

deBeauxOs

Feminist films/movies?
« on: June 27, 2006, 08:49:21 PM »
Suggestions?  Discussions?  Debates?

Some say that "Thelma and Louise" was the ultimate feminist movie hit.  It certainly became, with its sly humour and post-modern dissection of feminism in the US South-West, an iconic point of reference.

Two Grrrrlz On the Road.  I am certainly very fond of that movie.

lagatta

• View Profile
Feminist films/movies?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 09:22:34 PM »
My hippie-feminist days (and my youth) bring back "L'Une chante, l'autre pas", about the different lives of two women (an aspiring singer and a single mum) and their convergence at the famous procès de Bobigny (the French equivalent of the Morganthaler trials).

More locally, works by Anne-Claire Poirier, Léa Pool.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

Feminist films/movies?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 10:39:46 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
... back "L'Une chante, l'autre pas", about the different lives of two women ... More locally, works by Anne-Claire Poirier, Léa Pool.
 Oh yes, by the prolific Agnès Varda.  I did not see that one, but I saw others, such as "Le petit amour".  In many ways, Poirier and Pool are her Québecoises counterparts.  Documentaries and works of fiction.  Low-budget, high production values.

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: Feminist films/movies?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:58:14 PM »
In the course of waiting for the football game to begin, I bumped into this rant.

It is by Mark Kermode, who I mistook for Frank Kermode, a literary critic, as opposed to a film critic, of some repute.

If you agree with it or not, it is a fine rant .... it is of Sex in the City II; he advises not to see Sex in the City I, as it will just induce them to make another (vomit inducing) one. 
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:08:57 PM »
Drat, I didn't know it was a youtube. They just freeze my browser. No great problem, I just to a forced quit and read something else while it is loading again, but I was wondering where the thing came from, expecting a link. Serves me right for anything what do do with $hopping in the City.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 10:35:16 PM »
Drat, I didn't know it was a youtube. They just freeze my browser. No great problem, I just to a forced quit and read something else while it is loading again, but I was wondering where the thing came from, expecting a link. Serves me right for anything what do do with $hopping in the City.

OOPs .. I, maybe. should have communicated it in the blog where I originally found it.

That of AN UNREPENTANT COMMUNIST - from Britain.

Sorry, lagatta  ::)
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT