Author Topic: Spring deserves a new foodie thread  (Read 41044 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Spring deserves a new foodie thread
« on: April 01, 2007, 06:22:39 PM »
Although what I'm posting isn't specifically springlike - hell, there aren't a lot of new vegetables yet.

Claudia Roden has written yet another wonderful book, Arabesque the BBC link I found has several yummy recipes from it.

On another site, Roden confessed that she had wanted to include Syria and Iran, which have splendid food, but US and UK publishers thought it would be commercial death. Roden, who looks like everyone's favourite aunt (or great-aunt, for you young'uns), said perhaps she should bring out another book "The Cooking of the Axis of Evil"...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 06:55:09 PM »
How about doing new things with old vegetables?  :groucho-marx:  

And tho' they may not be as firm, their flavour perks up when roasted and tossed with a fresh, spring-tasty vinaigrette.  8)

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 06:57:15 PM »
Nectarines seem to be in, now, although they're in from California. No peaches yet.

It's also warm enough to start bbq-ing (but not eating outside). We're grilling some tilapia in a Trinidadian Scotch Bonnet sauce tonight, with a bean salad and regular salad to go with it.

On another site, Roden confessed that she had wanted to include Syria and Iran, which have splendid food, but US and UK publishers thought it would be commercial death.

Bloody hell, so even their food is evil now?  :roll:

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 07:36:32 PM »
Couscous with Spring Vegetables looks yummy.  Most of those recipes look good.  I love food.  Wish I could eat half a dozen times a day, but alas, my eyes are bigger than my appetite...think that's how the saying goes...

Tonight we had wild pacific salmon marinated in balsamic vinegar, orange juice, garlic & thyme.  The local IGA always seems to have the wild (not farmed) salmon affordably priced.  Many of the stores with the elabaorate seafood counters only have the (farmed) Atlantic salmon & it costs more.  Baked some mini crispy roast potatoes & steamed broccoli on the side.  

My aging dog is terrified of the oven these days.  I seem to make the smoke alarms go off on a regular basis :oops:  and he demands to be held tightly or hides.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 06:34:44 AM »
Oh, gosh, k'in -- whenever I set my alarm off, I'm with your aging dog. I feel like hugs or hiding too. My cooking hasn't done it that often, but I'm always a little nervous of searing and the smoke it produces. Problem is, I don't know how to turn the blasted alarm off, so the kitties and I just scatter and wait it out.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 05:04:22 AM »
Nothing to do with spring, and perhaps only a tenuous relation with food, but I read over this article on Döner Kebab: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Döner_kebap
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 09:09:08 AM »
Problem is, I don't know how to turn the blasted alarm off, so the kitties and I just scatter and wait it out.

Keep something like the lid of a box handy, or any thing flat and light, and when the alarm starts a'wailing, fan like mad.

In our old apartment we had a smoke alarm with a hair trigger.  Food wouldn't usually trip it, but a long steamy shower would.  Many's the shower that we had to exit prematurely, dripping all the way, to fan the smoke alarm.

but I read over this article on Döner Kebab

A Nova Scotia Donair is one of my disgustingly delicious guilty pleasures.  There's a place right around the corner that makes a good one; a little shop so small that the dude who owns it has his fridge up on a shelf, and if he needs something from "the back" he has to crawl under it.  It's him, a griddle, some veggies, and two big rotating cylinders of meat.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
Okay, so this put the bug in my ear for a Nova Scotia donair, and when I went to the little donair place, it's friggin' gone.  WTF? F! F! F!

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 03:36:44 PM »
Well, you'll have to go either to Halifax or to Berlin.
Rosa Luxemburg

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 04:37:30 PM »
Thank Gord I have options.  ;)

alisea

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/windsea/
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 04:38:05 PM »
Oh, god. Donairs. Sick, wrong, and incredibly tasty once every six months or so. In my younger, childless, carefree, clubbing days they seemed to be a foolproof hangover preventative when consumed at 3 am.

And Magoo, I can get donair any time I want. Neener, neener, neener  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Every donair shop in Halifax sells pizza too, I think, and vice versa. There's a little hole in the wall take-out a block and a half away from me, Tony's, and every few months I'll go there with The Dawg -- then I take her for a run (well, she runs, I walk) on  the North Commons across the street and we share it. One bite for her, one bite for me. Great dog training incentive :-D, and I've told you she has a cast iron stomach.

You can buy donair meat, pita, and sauce in Sobeys and the Superstore, but I've never done them at home. I think you need the Full Grease Experience.
Do not meddle with the Forces of Nature, for you are small, insignificant, and biodegradable.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 04:41:33 PM »
I must lead a sheltered life. What's a donair?

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 04:45:28 PM »
Often called Gyros in other parts of Canada.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 04:51:20 PM »
Ah. Thank you, Caissa.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 04:54:34 PM »
I believe that a Donair needs the sickly-sweet sauce, whereas a Gyros would likely have a more authentic Greek garlic-based sauce, like a taratour sauce.

But without a doubt, they're all dodgy. :)

Return To TAT