Author Topic: Spring deserves a new foodie thread  (Read 40327 times)

alisea

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/windsea/
Spring deserves a new foodie thread
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »
Well, it's like a gyro, except it's not. The Halifax donairs use an odd and different sauce, along with the grilled meat/tomato/onion. Here's all you could ever want to know.
Do not meddle with the Forces of Nature, for you are small, insignificant, and biodegradable.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 05:03:45 PM »
Oooh, I want one. I looked at the list and there are none in Toronto? Magoo, research is needed!

deBeauxOs

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 05:07:33 PM »
It would seem from lagatta's link above, that Halifax is notorious for, as well as quite proprietary about its donair.   :wink:

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 05:22:14 PM »
I thought gyros were smaller than donairs? In any case, you get get donairs out west. Nova Scotia donairs definately taste different.

I tried one in Cape Breton in some small town while I was driving from Ottawa to Newfoundland, where Leopold was at a retreat. I could've got a date at the same shop but I turned that down. Either way, NS donairs really aren't the best choice when you're going long hours between washroom facilities.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 09:07:11 PM »
Our speciality is especially the shish taouk (says so in the article) which people in Ottawa and perhaps Gatineau might call a chicken shawarma.

I got a very good one from a Lebanese restaurant in Cologne. It was a fairly nice sit-down restaurant, but also had a takeout counter for sandwiches. Probably not as hard to digest as donair or even Döner - If one comes from Montréal (probably also Ottawa/Gatineau) Lebanese will always say they have cousins here and practically ask about them, especially if they have a business or would otherwise be known.

I've had them a few times in France - usually made with veal (not the milk-fed veal that is so cruel, and tender, the grain-fed veal that is simply immature beef).

Vegetarians, I've also had the wonderful falafels with all sorts of vegetable garnishes on rue des Rosiers, the old Jewish nabe in the Marais...

Here is the big German search engine for Döner (also in English, at least some of the content): http://www.doener365.de
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 08:10:56 AM »
The world's best donairs were made in Saint John, N.B. by an immigrant from Greece. Unfortunately, his restaraunt burnt down about 5 years ago and he decided to retire instead of rebuilding.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 07:29:34 PM »
There are more than a few clichés (and more than a dose of USian ignorance) about both native Germans and Turks in this article about Döner Kebabs but there are a few valuable insights.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 07:31:54 PM »
(lagatta, I corrected your URL.)

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 07:44:13 PM »
Thanks Mandos! After all, in the interest of junque-food gastronomy and sound intercultural relations!
Rosa Luxemburg

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 07:58:17 PM »
We edited at the same time. I restored my version.

Madrid (the only European city that I've visited for longer than 4 hours at the airport) had a donair shop on every street corner in the vicinity of the Puerta del Sol.  Far more ubiquitous than MacDonalds.  Unfortunately, many Turks being liberals about food, I still had to watch out for the pork.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 09:31:01 PM »
In Amsterdam, supermarket showarma (as the Dutch write it) is almost always pork. Fortunately, I found a nice "Islamicsh Slagerij" (sorry remembered Dutch, sounds like "slayer" and ij is a long i) where there was wonderful lamb, and turkey, showarma.

In Montréal supermarkets (Métro etc) they also sell, or sold, pork merguez. That is very, very strange, as in the Maghreb everyone who isn't Muslim is Jewish, except a few stray colonists. But now one can easily find good halal or kosher merguez here.

In Amsterdam we had to be careful not to inadvertently purchase any pork (this at large wholesalers that cater to groups and commerces) to respect people's beliefs and customs.
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 10:10:06 PM »
I decided to throw caution to the wind yesterday and have my first shawarma, in the Rideau Mall.

I appreciated the taste, but the unlevened bread does not have the consistancy of my usual levened stuff .... after one bite a great many of the constitutents of said shawarma ended up on my lap.  :(

I needa course in advanced shawarma consuming.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

deBeauxOs

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 10:25:13 PM »
Your very first!  Holy moly, that was courageous.  Next time, you may want to try the Shawarma King on Bank Street across from James. Many consider it to be among the finest Lebanese food and best bargain in Ottawa.

The trick to eating one is this: Hold the shawarma vertically. Unwrap paper/foil from the top down, the equivalent of one and a half bite.  Take a bite.  Unwrap some more.  Take another bite.  The foil keeps the pita and its filling from falling apart, and the tomato/sauce juices from splashing everywhere.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 10:34:42 PM »
And if you use that method to eat a shawarma/donair (and I do) then you'll probably end up eating your last bite and leaving behind a little foil "cup", with the bottom twisted shut, full of sauce-juice and other goodies.

Slurp this back for bonus points and an extra life.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 10:47:13 PM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs
Your very first!  Holy moly, that was courageous.  Next time, you may want to try the Shawarma King on Bank Street across from James. Many consider it to be among the finest Lebanese food and best bargain in Ottawa.

The trick to eating one is this: Hold the shawarma vertically. Unwrap paper/foil from the top down, the equivalent of one and a half bite.  Take a bite.  Unwrap some more.  Take another bite.  The foil keeps the pita and its filling from falling apart, and the tomato/sauce juices from splashing everywhere.

Thank for the educational etiquette (and Magoo too) that Shararma King is about two blocks and a half from me - perhaps my next adventure in eating. even if there is a shawarma shop just about across the street from me, I think it is connected with an Iranain grocery I frequent.

I am really not that conservatinve in my eating habits, my numero uno is raw oysters but I enjoy squid and even frog's legs - it just happened I had never had one of these middle-eatern/caribbean delights.

I do not have to obey my mother as eating my 'green leafies' is a no-no for me, so long as I can chose my items in the mix it will be successful.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT