Author Topic: Spring deserves a new foodie thread  (Read 40303 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Spring deserves a new foodie thread
« Reply #240 on: March 20, 2013, 07:27:13 AM »
Oh, gosh - I love sweet desserts - I've always had a sweet tooth. But I try to get a lot of sweetness from fruits, and I don't keep refined white sugar in my house. I use alternatives.

I haven't even got around to the Japanese pizza recipe yet!

The tomato soup recipe is so simple and to die for.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 23, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
This savoury ricotta tart would be splendid for Eastertime, though alas nothing has come up here yet, not even the chives that were up this time last year, due to the very warm weather.
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/08/herbed-ricotta-tart/ Obviously you can put in the onion-family members (onions, chives, garlic, leek, shallots etc) and the herbs you want or can find, and spinach or chard might work well too. A benefit of spinach is that there is good frozen spinach, for cooks with a limited access to fresh produce.

Boom Boom, this site is nice food pron for you as he is a (sweet) pastry chef. However he does do some good savoury recipes as well!
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »
That's a beautiful tart, lagatta. I've made a similar item using various kinds of cheeses, but can't get ricotta here <sigh>.

I have so many recipes here - probably well over 1,000 in print, and another 2,000 on my computer. Insane.

But I love cooking - and it warms the house.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
Sometimes you can sub cottage cheese for ricotta, certainly in lasagne. It might be a bit too liquid for this recipe though, so you might want to drain it (don't discard the liquid; use it in something else) and you might want to mash the curds a bit, as ricotta has much smaller curds.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 23, 2013, 10:58:47 PM »
I always use cottage cheese in lasagne, but never in a tart - however it should work fine as a substitue for ricotta as drained as you suggest. Cottage cheese is popular here because it's healthy and reasonably cheap.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 15, 2013, 02:08:33 PM »
Saw this being prepared on the Anthony Bourdain show ("No Reservations") this morning. Almost worth a visit to Portugal, wouldn't you say?

Portuguese Sopas     

• 4 lbs chuck roast, bone-in
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 16 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 4 cups beef stock
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp allspice
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Mint leaves
  • Day old French bread
Sauté onion and garlic and remove from heat.  Cut roast into 2 inch chunks.  Brown meat, add bones and other ingredients.  Bring to a slow boil, lower heat, and simmer for 3-4 hours, or until meat is tender.

To serve: Place two slices of day old French bread in a bowl, add mint.  Spoon broth and meat over bread.

She has an easy recipe for cornmeal bread, too.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:20:20 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 15, 2013, 03:47:15 PM »
Lots of things are worth a trip to Portugal. Their grilled chicken is excellent, as is their fish. There were a lot of Portuguese on the Grand Banks. Basques too.

A southern cornbread recipe, with a LONG discussion. I make it more this way, though I don't add bacon drippings; I almost never eat bacon. I'd be more inclined to add in tiny pieces of smoked ham or something if I wanted that sort of taste, and I also like the Southwestern US touch of a bit of hot chiles.
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/southern_cornbread/ But it is fine plain. I'd never make it sweet, but I could well add a tbsp of honey, that would help it brown.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT