Author Topic: Spring deserves a new foodie thread  (Read 38422 times)

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
Spring deserves a new foodie thread
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 11:03:37 PM »
In Ottawa, my favorite shawarma place is Marroush's.  *hums Marroush's repetitive jingle* They got character.

Maybe we need to have an Ottawa BnR foodie outing when next I visit.  Hmmm.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2007, 06:29:23 AM »
Do you know, I don't think I've ever had any of these things. I've eaten much North African and Greek food, but never a donair/gyro/shawarma. Must remedy that.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2007, 08:29:13 AM »
An old babble thread on Ottawa Food

While continuing to explore the fascinating greasy world of Döner, Kebab, donair, shawarma, Shish Taouk etc. I'd also like to discuss something healthier - I bought some frozen edamame (young soya beans) and don't know what to do with them. Thinking perhaps a bean salad with parsley or cilantro (or thai basil - bought some of that too, yesterday) and sweet red onion...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2007, 10:04:31 AM »
Speaking of Ottawa food, there's this entry in Wiki about   Shawarma in Ottawa:  

Ottawa is home to many shawarma restaurants; Google Maps reports 91. Sellers use a garlic sauce made from equal parts garlic and oil and a small amount of lemon juice. Shawarma sandwiches are wrapped in pita bread and are almost always garnished with onion, tomato, pickles, pickled turnips and parsley (which is usually mixed in with the onions). The shawarma restaurants in Ottawa will generally allow customers to substitute hummus for the garlic sauce at no extra charge. Despite its name, beef shawarma generally contains some lamb in addition to the beef to ensure juiciness. Perhaps the most prominent Ottawa shawarma establishment is Marroush International. Marroush is famous for the size of their sandwiches, and closely associated with Ottawa's Elgin Street and Byward Market nightlife.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2007, 10:09:54 AM »
There used to be a shawarma place on College, Ali Baba Shawarma. (It's not there anymore but there are at least two with the same name.) This is a true story; sweetie will back me up. One day, we saw Mr. Ali Baba driving a station wagon down Spadina Ave, with two live sheep in the back. He saw us, recognized us, smiled, and shrugged.

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2007, 10:15:31 AM »
There's also a Marroush on Sparks.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2007, 10:27:44 AM »
Quote from: lagatta
... I'd also like to discuss something healthier - I bought some frozen edamame (young soya beans) and don't know what to do with them. ...
Are they still in their pods or shelled?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2007, 10:35:42 AM »
Shelled. I don't usually like thawed pods (such as beans) - find they get a nasty texture.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2007, 10:43:07 AM »
Yes, and those edamame pods are definitely NOT mange-tout.  I love eating the peas simply steamed, with a little sea salt sprinkled over them.  They'll probably be tasty in a salad - I'd look up a recipe for a lentil salad that had ginger and agrume (citrus) flavours to blend with with.  Perhaps some chopped celery for crunch?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 07:07:50 PM »
I got a full colour catalog from the new M&M food supply store in Sept-Iles today. Their stuff is prepared and cooked foods, mostly shipped frozen I think. And fairly expensive. However, they offer a lot of stuff not available on the coast, and they will send it by our supply ship (dirt cheap) or by airplane (quite expensive). Anyone have experience with M&M food supply? They have a website.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2007, 07:21:34 PM »
I quickly checked their website and my choice for low-fat, healthy food would be their turkey sausages and their whole wild salmon fillet.  Everything else is mostly prepared dishes and since I'm allergic to canola oil and a few additives used in the conservation of such items, I would avoid them.  But that's me.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2007, 07:26:05 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to check their ingredients carefully (if it's possible to do), as I'm trying to lower my salt/sodium intake, not because I've been told to do so, but because I want to. Their desserts are to die for.  :drool

deBeauxOs

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2007, 07:51:08 PM »
Their crème caramel looks appetizing.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2007, 07:57:19 PM »
In general (GI-type diet) I don't eat desserts except fresh fruits (I love pears) but I noticed that Perugina panettones (a type made with real butter, not trans-crap) are re-marked down to 1,99$ at Milano. Obviously, they will be a bit dry by now, but they are good either toasted or in the most decadent pain perdu (French toast) or bread pudding...

I may crack and get one. C, friend from Argentina just back from THREE MONTHS there, would approve. Panettone are of cours big in Argentina, a very Italian place but with more meat.
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 09:42:19 PM »
I eat every fruit I can find. I've never had a plantain. I find dates absolutely disgusting, I've never been able to keep down anything containing dates. Figs, on the other hand, I can tolerate, but I only really like them in fig newtons. When I was a kid, I could never eat raspberries, but today I love 'em. Ditto for orange marmalade. The M&M catalogue that I got in the mail today has two mixed fruit offerings - I think I'll give each a try, although they're frozen - just thaw them out. We had frozen fruit here, similar to what is sold in some grocery stores - way overpriced, but good. We get wild bakeapples (cloudberries) here, quite good in jams, some like them raw with cream and sugar, good source of Vitamin C. I've ordered some strawberry plants, I doubt they'll grow well here, and no fruit until the second year, regardless, but I want to try. Same for blueberries and raspberries, although both grow wild here.

Return To TAT