Author Topic: Anyone celebrating Easter/Passover?  (Read 10536 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Anyone celebrating Easter/Passover?
« on: April 07, 2007, 08:15:40 PM »
Knowing me, of course you'd expect me to put this in a foodie thread, but one can't ignore that it is after all an important time in spiritual terms for many people, or social/family times.

This year the Western and Eastern Christian traditions are celebrating Easter at the same date, and Passover falls just where it should for Jesus the boys to have held their Last Supper (Seder)...

I'm not doing much of anything. Helping friends move (unpacking, cleaning). Made a dish with crevettes de Matane (those tiny wild shrimp from the Gulf of St-Lawrence), not-yet-local-but-too-cheap-to-resist asparagus, assorted odds and ends, and just enough rice to hold everything together - less than a cup. Kind of springlike, and yet fake, with the asparagus from Mexico or California, since it is not yet spring and there isn't really anything local worth eating now. :(
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Timebandit

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 09:00:25 PM »
We play Easter bunny for the kids, and usually don't do much else.  This year my mum's making dinner, so we're contributing dessert -- lemon meringue pie.  

I used to go to church (United Church) on Easter Sunday, but haven't in a long time.  They always choose good music on Easter -- the church of my youth had the best music program in town, and it was well worth getting gussied up.  Maybe some year when we've had a chance to explaint the whole crucifixion thing -- it's just never seemed an appropriate subject for kids.  And my MIL might get upset that we went to church, but not hers...  Family politics.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

deBeauxOs

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:32:17 PM »
I've been invited over for a huge luncheon (heavy Eastern European influence) tomorrow to my son-in-law's family.  I'm responsible for a dessert so I'll be bringing a Pavlova that I'm making and will be serving with lemon-scented labneh and fresh fruits.  Since there will be at least seven of us, I thought that I might also take a small eau-de-vie to cleanse the palate and to free up an internal passage, aka un trou normand .  The crowds at the Elsie Beeyo were massive - who knew that so many people gave up alcohol for Lent?  :shock:  :wink:

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 02:17:13 AM »
I am going to a whole-lamb-on-a-spit-over-a-firepit luncheon event at a house inhabited by a bunch of Greek guys from actual Greece.  Obviously, I don't celebrate Easter, but I do celebrate eating olive-oil-basted lamb with spanakopita.

:drool :eat

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 04:21:49 AM »
Och, Mandos: drool (that's me drooling). The Greeks do Easter well, it's true.

This is just a work and cleaning day for me. It's also my younger sister's birthday -- the younger of my two younger sisters? I never know how to put that.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 05:09:46 AM »
youngest sister?

I don't think the Greeks in Montréal are very happy this year - often their Easter falls as late as May Day and they have much better weather for heavy-duty outdoor cooking.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 05:27:55 AM »
Well, she is the youngest of the three of us, but relative to me, she is only the younger of my two younger sisters. If I say she is the youngest of my sisters, that implies at least three sisters.

vmichel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 02:36:34 PM »
I'm making Easter dinner for my in-laws who are visiting. I love Easter food! Sweet ham, scalloped potatoes, green beans, rolls, deviled eggs. Mmmm. This is the one big holiday dinner that I don't mind making because it's so good. :D

Although all this talk of Greek food is making me hungry for that instead!

Back to the kitchen...

deBeauxOs

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »
In French the words for you and your sisters, in birthing order would be: you, skdadl are l'aînée, the next one is la cadette and the youngest, la benjamine.

Mandos

• View Profile

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 01:02:51 AM »
Yay, I was vote#2 for Mandos' post--should be up on the front page now, with all of those rivetting SES polling posts ;)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 04:21:04 AM »
should be up on the front page now, with all of those rivetting SES polling posts Wink

*snerk*

Ah, the wonks are so predictable, are they not?

Mandos, how could you leave just when the roast lamb was being served? I mean, I see that you got some, but how often do you get the spit-roasted chance? Sounds like a fabulous dinner.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 05:05:32 AM »
Here's an interesting thing from Glenn Greenwald in Salon..

Apparently a profressor has picked up one of his column and offered it as a suggestion of an Easter assignment.  From the blog of Professor of History Steve Muhlberger, at Nipissing University in Ontario:

He invites the Professor to post a few of the better ones:
I almost feel guilty for whatever role I played in inflicting such an assignment on them, but there is ample material there to put under the miscroscope and dissect. Perhaps Professor Muhlberger could be persuaded to pick two or three of the best papers to be posted here.

The column they are to parse is on "The right-wing brain in action" - a scarry compendion of inventive ways to blame Iraqis for the mess their country has become.

Now that at least has some supporting evidence, even if the analysis is sort of obtuse - the scarry part is the prescription for solving it. In a truly nuianced approach a writer suggests:
if democracy can't work in Iraq, then we should probably adopt a "more rubble, less trouble" approach to other countries in the region that threaten us.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 05:21:31 AM »
Good for Greenwald. That should inspire some of the students.

I think there's still a chance that we may one day see Michael Ledeen sitting in a courtroom with his defence team.  Live in hope.

Mandos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 07:39:27 AM »
skdadl: There was a good reason.  I am the unofficial official tour guide among my friends.  A friend of mine showed up who last year had missed a certain once-a-year natural event that is popular and quite beautiful around here, and he wanted me to show him where it was before he missed it again this year.  I couldn't say no, because I *did* have a hunk of the lamb, and it *was* the last thing on the menu, and I was full.

Return To TAT