Author Topic: Having faith in women  (Read 2081 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Having faith in women
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:14:49 AM »
Meanwhile, back at the religious ranch, the Roman Catholic Church, the world's largest Christian organization, still hasn't ordained one female priest, much less a bishop or cardinal. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, the world's largest graduate school for ministers, recently sent packing its only female professor who was teaching male students in the school's department of theology. The seminary's board chairman said hiring a woman to teach men theology had been a "momentary" lapse.

Not all is gender-remiss in the world of religion. The Episcopal Church recently installed its first female presiding bishop. Sunday, hundreds, if not thousands, of female clergy preached to America's faithful. What's puzzling is that the nation's two largest denominations (Catholics and Southern Baptists) have managed to keep women down on the farm this far into the modern era. It's even more surprising given that women perform the vast majority of work in churches. (Stroll through the kitchen, choir rooms, offices, library, nursery and Sunday school rooms of your own church and see what you find.)

Does the New Testament really justify the church's shabby treatment of women? On the surface, it would appear so, at least if we listen to St. Paul:

Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. I Timothy 2:11-12

Although this verse seems to give a clear explanation of the role of women in the church, things aren't always what they seem when it comes to interpreting the Bible. The first rule of good biblical interpretation is always to examine the historical context in which a passage was written. If we don't know why the verse was written then, we stand little chance of understanding what it means now.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2007/04/post_21.html
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

deBeauxOs

Having faith in women
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:05:08 PM »
That was a positively inspiring opinion piece to find on USA Today!  :shock:

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Re: Having faith in women
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:06:31 PM »
A Calgary woman is being ordained as a Catholic priest in Victoria today, says local CBC radio (website not working).  

In other Calgary news some Catholic schools were locked down for a while (ETA correction: one Catholic school and two public schools).  I don't know why.  

Maybe Bishop Fred Henry's head threatened to explode?
 :explode
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:16:51 PM »
I have strong doubts that the Catholic Church will EVER ordain women.  Southern Baptists, maybe, but the Catholic Church has built up an enormous theological architecture apparently just to circumvent women's ordination.  Impossible to give up something that elaborate and cemented.

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »
I disagree.  The Catholic Church will never ordain Southern Baptists.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 08:28:13 AM »
:rotfl:

vmichel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 01:18:04 AM »
Quote from: Mandos
I have strong doubts that the Catholic Church will EVER ordain women.  Southern Baptists, maybe, but the Catholic Church has built up an enormous theological architecture apparently just to circumvent women's ordination.  Impossible to give up something that elaborate and cemented.

Warning: the rant of a recovered Catholic follows  :evil:

I agree. Yes, Catholic women are doing 90% of the work in Catholic churches. That's as it ought to be, according to the institution, and it's been my (limited) experience that those hard-working women are the first to say that they don't want women priests.

Keeping women out of the priesthood is central to Church teachings. It's about humility, acceptance of one's position in life, respect for authority, respect for the father, willingness to abide by limitations and structure, keeping the Church as a bulwark against destructive forces of social change... other faiths that have less emphasis on these teachings might be able to adapt to women priests, but not the RCC. In my opinion.

There are some awesome women creating alternative churches and doing their own thing, but very few women agitating for this change within the church, and I completely understand why.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
This is the end of a longer narrative ... each section begins ... "3 Proofs that Jesus was a _____"

3 proofs that Jesus was a woman:

1. He fed a crowd at a moment's notice when there was virtually no food

2. He kept trying to get a message across to a bunch of men who just didn't get it

3. And even when He was dead, He had to get up because there was still work to do
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »
:rotfl:  I believe it.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Return To TAT