Author Topic: What Hurts?  (Read 93267 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
What Hurts?
« on: June 28, 2006, 09:30:47 AM »
My knees. (For those who missed it, I had a spill on the weekend, during a BBQ hosted by sweetie and me. Skinned both knees. And, no dammit, I was not drunk. Yet.)

I'm working from my swivel, rolling chair. I often sit cross-legged, being short and feet not usually resting confortably on the floor. Wheeling back and forth, I have now banged each knee once. Owwwwwww.

You got aches and pains?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
What Hurts?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 09:41:28 AM »
At this very moment, no. I get some waking aches and pains, which I walk out fairly quickly, and then by the end of the day my neck and shoulder will rilly be complaining, but right now, I'm peachy, thanks.  :)

I'm so aware now, though, when I first get up, of how crickety the ankles and knees have become. I walk downstairs verrrry carefully. But the sensation is gone in minutes as I potter about making coffee.

Be good to your knees, fern hill. You will need them in time to come.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
What Hurts?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:46:06 AM »
my pains have aches and my aches have pains I have plantar fasciitis that's fun.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
What Hurts?
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:52:33 AM »
Everywhere when I woke up - extremely humid day here. Nowhere now, really. I have the kind of arthritis that is worse when I haven't done any exercise - the other kind is worse.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Sleeping Sun

• View Profile
What Hurts?
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:00:15 AM »
Me.  

But not as bad as yesterday.  So I'm sipping on some ginger tea and will do some light yoga later.

And hope that tomorrow is better yet.  There is always hope that tomorrow will be better.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
What Hurts?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 10:11:42 AM »
I may have missed an earlier post, Sleeping Sun, but did you have a spill like fern hill's too?

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
What Hurts?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 10:21:58 AM »
Quote from: Debra
I have plantar fasciitis that's fun.

Wassat?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
    • http://www.offhand.ca
What Hurts?
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 10:37:15 AM »
You need to get good shoes, Debra, and maybe orthotics.  

as for my aches and pains.... well, I'm 25 weeks pregnant.  What doesn't hurt?

lagatta

• View Profile
What Hurts?
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 10:42:58 AM »
Good shoes are very, very expensive. Orthotics worse. Do any health plans reimburse them?

I was happy to get a lovely pair of Clarks mule sandals (with a bit of a heel, which is more comfy for my feet than perfectly flat) half price a month or two ago. That will see me through the summer, and I wear Clarks or Rohdes sandals with socks at home in the winter.  I also bought a good pair of walking shoes at the end of the season last year, also half-price.

Good shoes are so expensive that they can keep many low-income people from getting the exercise they need. Christ, nobody should have to suffer foot problems in a wealthy society because they can't afford orthopedic or comfort shoes. grrrrrr
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Nikita

• View Profile
What Hurts?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 11:30:19 AM »
My legs are sore a lot of the time.  I was born with crooked legs, the left one points in so my right leg has to compensate a lot.  The leg bones don't sit right in my hips either, sometimes they sort of pop out a bit when I'm sleeping.  I get shin splints sometimes too because of the way my ankles bend in and put pressure on the shin bones.

Good shoes are so expensive that they can keep many low-income people from getting the exercise they need. Christ, nobody should have to suffer foot problems in a wealthy society because they can't afford orthopedic or comfort shoes. grrrrrr

This drives me insane, because it is a problem I'm dealing with right now.  People tell me all the time that if I get out and exercise, not only will my leg pain decrease, but I will lose weight.  But when I point out that buying the appropriate exercise runners (I need a lot of arch support) is difficult since they're ridiculously expensive, they kind of get this googly-glazed look in their eye like they can't...quite...comprehend what I'm saying.  Wearing regular runners that aren't right just makes the problem worse, so that's just not an option.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
What Hurts?
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 11:33:57 AM »
Back of my head, with all those @#$%^!!! blackfly bites. Nasty little buggers. I occasionally have chest pains but that's from moving heavy boxes during my move down the street. Have been checked out, nothing serious, have to get someone else to do the heavy lifting. :(

lagatta

• View Profile
What Hurts?
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 11:51:24 AM »
That's a pity, nikita. I couldn't afford proper jogging shoes either; I need very good ones as well as my ankles are weak (childhood injury not properly tended to back then). And, of course, a running bra that would cost me at least $100 (!!!) Hard to find in my size (big boobs but not plus-sized around thorax); they exist but are only sold at a fancy runners' shop in posh Westmount.

Can you ride a bicycle? A second-hand bicycle could cost far less than fancy trainers, or you could borrow one. It has to fit you properly though, or it can aggravate back and knee pain.
Rosa Luxemburg

Nikita

• View Profile
What Hurts?
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 11:58:13 AM »
I like bicycles, but not those chunky mountain bikes everyone rides.  Those are just all wrong for me.  I like girlie bikes, with the banana seat, the kind where you can sit upright with the good handlebars.  I don't have one anymore but with my next paycheque I'm going to look around for one.

lagatta

• View Profile
What Hurts?
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 12:03:35 PM »
I have a lovely old bicycle, a five or six (forget) speed Raleigh Sprite, nice old black bicycle, women's frame, proper mudguards. I hate mountain bikes too, they don't fit me at all.

I bought it for $40, but of course fixing it up cost more than that.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT