Author Topic: seen any films recently?  (Read 156984 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: seen any films recently?
« Reply #1005 on: August 03, 2011, 09:33:22 PM »
Just watched Prom Night In Mississippi (2009). Totally awesome. Up to 2007, Charleston, Miss. had two proms - one white, one black. Morgan Freeman, who was born there, decided to make a visit and offer to bankroll the 2008 prom - if it was integrated. Quite a bit of opposition, but in the end after a lot of hard work and negotiations, the school board agreed to a mixed prom - but a small segment of the white school population wanted their own prom, too, so they that. The film crew was not permitted inside the white prom, but filmed those going in - not bery many, and those interviewed afterwards said it was lame and the food was lame. The mixed prom, by comparsion, was a gorgeous success in every way. One person from the white prom said that was probably going to be the last white prom there. Either the small white prom would join the mixed prom, or stay home. Some obvious bigotry in the film, but overall I'd say it was almost optimistic for the future.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: August 20, 2011, 09:33:08 PM »
I watched the Carrie Fisher bio (Wishful Drinking) again, and also a new HBO movie, Gloria: In Her Own Words - A Tribute to Gloria Steinem (2011). Excellent.  :applause

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 24, 2011, 03:43:39 PM »
Treat yourself to this short movie with Pete Seeger and Marjora Carter, 2008.

The black and white pics/film are to die for. Seeger's dad used his Model T Ford to pull the first type of camper. Thoroughly enjoyable.

http://www.commondreams.org/video/2011/11/24
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 24, 2011, 05:14:29 PM »
A friend in Paris who teaches English in a collège - which doesn't mean either a university college or a junior college but more or less a middle school or junior-high school - is asking me if I know any "grand public" (mainstream) "English Canadian" film a 14-year-old boy keen on music would like. I of course sent her the NFB-ONF online catalogue, but she says they "can't do online film". This sounds very difficult. By "English Canadian" of course she means that the story has to be in English, not dubbed from French, though it can be in any cultural or ethnic milieu - this "collège" is extremely multicultural.

Ideas? I was thinking of all the First-Nations themed mainstream films I know, with pretty much entirely Canadian casts, but often they are playing "Native Americans" from the US.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 24, 2011, 09:35:08 PM »
Immediately, the classic Hard Core Logo comes to mind.  It's a 'mockumentary', but it features an interesting collection of Canadian artists & songs.

Some more recent featured artist documentaries:

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/news/march-20-26-tiff-proudly-hosting-a-week-canadian-music-films-featuring-icons-such-rush-neil-you

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: October 15, 2012, 09:24:11 AM »
Watched about half of 'The Lion King' last night. "Cheetahs never prosper"  :))

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: October 15, 2012, 09:34:35 AM »

Dialogue:

[about "Hakuna Matata"] It's our motto.

What's a motto?

Nothing. What's a motto with you?

*groan*

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 15, 2012, 12:30:28 AM »
The Christmastime movies are now coming fast and thick. 

The 1947 edition of Miracle On 34th Street has someone winking at the judge from the back of the room, subtly advising him how to rule - and even the judge takes a break during the proceedings to confer with this guy - a political adviser perhaps - and announces back in the courtroom that he has consulted "with a higher power". I saw this movie as a little kid in the 1950s, as a teenager in the 1960s, and many times as an adult, and that scene has stayed with me my whole life. It's scary because it confirms that the whole system - law, business, etc... -  is based on lies and manipulation. I've rebelled and questioned virtually everything since I saw it first around 1956.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: December 15, 2012, 11:11:42 AM »
 :iagree
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 16, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »
Just watched Made In Dagenham (2010). I caught just about half of it last summer, have been waiting for it to be shown again. It's a brilliant movie. Minister of State Barbara Castle is portrayed perfectly (by Miranda Richardson) - she stared down PM Harold MacMillan and the asshole Ford Motor Company president in England. Ford threatened to take its factories elsewhere if pay equity became law, but Barbara Castle called their bluff.  :applause

Summary:

In 1968, the Ford auto factory in Dagenham was one of the largest single private employers in the United Kingdom. In addition to the thousands of male employees, there are also 187 underpaid women machinists who primarily assemble the car seat upholstery in poor working conditions. Dissatisfied, the women, represented by the shop steward and Rita O'Grady, work with union rep Albert Passingham for a better deal. However, Rita learns that there is a larger issue in this dispute considering that women are paid an appalling fraction of the men's wages for the same work across the board on the sole basis of their sex. Refusing to tolerate this inequality any longer, O'Grady leads a strike by her fellow machinists for equal pay for equal work. What follows would test the patience of all involved in a grinding labour and political struggle that ultimately would advance the cause of women's rights around the world.

ETA: At the end of the film, some of the actual women from 1968 are shown. Awesome.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:33:14 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 17, 2012, 04:39:05 AM »
I'd love to see Made in Dagenham. Missed it when it was showing here; perhaps I can find it at a videoclub. Or is it available online?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 17, 2012, 07:42:34 AM »
I saw it on a satellite (Bell Expressvu)  movie channel. I have seven movie channels, 24/7.  :o

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: December 17, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »
Made in Dagenham was such a good film. It played here at the Atlantic Film Festival two years ago. Judy Rebick happened to be in town and we saw it together which was great for both of us. Dan and our then-16-year-old son and his friend joined us and we all really enjoyed it. It was so different from the blow-'em-up, shoot-'em-up movies that kids often see and it was one of the times William said to me, "Mum, you always take me to see such good movies!"

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 17, 2012, 09:30:16 AM »
Yes, of course we have festivals and screenings of such films, and even cinemas that show them, though I do NOT want to see that dubbed into French (subtitles, more likely for that, would not be a problem).

Since I live in a large city and mostly work at home, I like to get out to see films. If not, I'll rent the DVD, which I should be able to do at La Boîte noire. I might even be able to find it at La Bibliothèque nationale or the Mtl City libraries (they send documents between libraries so I can pick it up at one nearby).

I deliberately don't have a television (work on the computer all day, most days) and don't watch Hollywood movies, so most movie channels are of very limited interest.

They have it at BANQ - say it is in treatment (being processed). Assume I can view a Blu-Ray disc? They also have it available at the library in Ville St-Laurent, but I don't have to go there, just to a local branch and they will send it over. Free!

I'll be getting a computer I can view DVDs on soon, but I'd rather see it with a couple of girlfriends who are both retired trade unionists.

Just heard "Complainte pour Ste-Catherine" by the McGarrigle sisters on Radio-Canada. That brings back similar memories for me, as I was one of the leaders of the organising drive at Classic Bookshops back in the 1970s... we were on strike for seven or eight months...
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 17, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »
I didn't even own a television until I moved to the Lower North Shore - but here we are so isolated and with nowhere to go other than in the bush or to our two local corner stores, not even library facilities here - television is a necessity. I found myself catching up on all the stuff I missed over the years, especially movies. Casablanca can be found on the movie channels two or three times a year - ditto for all the film classics. And it's only in the past year that one corner store here has purchased DVDs for rental, but it's a very limited selection so far - and I don't have a DVD player, just an old VHS player that I bought in 1995 when I moved here.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:27:32 AM by Boom Boom »

Return To TAT