Author Topic: seen any films recently?  (Read 146849 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
seen any films recently?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 01:14:29 PM »
A lot of the reviewers writing in about Minoes are Dutch; this leads to rather strange English syntax although they write it well: "People care about the fish-car that got crashed"

A "fish-car" is one of those trucks or vans like a chip wagon, but instead of chips it serves up fresh and smoked herring (Yum). Hilarious as of course the Dutch humans do eat that in the street, and a cat would find that most sensible.

It gives you a look at how modern Dutch people live, in a typical ordered smallish town that looks like a miniature Amsterdam, but is not a cosmopolitan city like Amsterdam or Rotterdam...

Cats versus evil, polluting industrialists! What more could one want from a film? :cat:

I saw it on a KLM flight - one of the few in-flight films I actually enjoyed...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

peppermint

• View Profile
seen any films recently?
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 02:55:31 PM »
Saw Away from Her last evening.  Great screen play, adapted from Alice Munro, sensitive acting, can't imagine a thing they could've done better.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
seen any films recently?
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 06:21:20 PM »
I hope Prairie Home Companion comes on again (on TMN) in the late evening. I want to watch it with the lights off, and candles lit, and played through my powerful stereo system. I love this film. As I recall, there's some hilarious flirting between Garrison Keillor and Meryl Streep. I've always adored Meryl Streep. The jokes are hokey as hell, but that's part of the charm of Prairie Home Companion.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
seen any films recently?
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 06:34:29 PM »
Where the women are strong, the men are good-looking, and the children are all above average. :D
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

shaolin

• View Profile
seen any films recently?
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2007, 07:16:34 PM »
Not a film, but I did rent it on dvd: Black Books.  I think I might have mentioned it before?  It is just so fucking brilliant.  Check out Dylan Moran if you can.  Tamsin Greig, who co-stars, was in a good program called Green Wing, as well.  I don't own a tv, but I rent the odd program when I'm feeling a bit off/tired on the weekend.

I watched Harvey with James Stewart last week.  Quite a shock to the system, as I don't watch many older movies.  It seemed very much like a stage production, which makes sense since it's based on a play, but seemed over the top and a bit and quite out of my cultural context nonetheless.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
seen any films recently?
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2007, 07:25:15 PM »
I loved "Harvey", have seen it at least six times - the James Stewart version. I think it was also made with someone else in the lead.

deBeauxOs

seen any films recently?
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2007, 07:28:27 PM »
Quote from: GDKitty
Rufus & Leonard--two National treasures, if you ask me (seriously, ask me!)
I will always treasure Leonard Cohen - he keeps getting better and better.  Rufus however, annoys the hell out of me.  His voice is nasal, his lyrics pretentious.  I much prefer the music of the McGarrigles and of Martha Wainright.

Two nights ago I rented Bobby and for a quarter extra, Withnail and I, which I'd never seen but always meant to .... Now I know why it's a cult classic.  What great lines!!!  And since Bobby takes place in 1968, Withnail in 1969, a great double bill.  :D

'lance

• View Profile
seen any films recently?
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 07:29:29 PM »
Quote from: shaolin
Not a film, but I did rent it on dvd: Black Books.  I think I might have mentioned it before?  It is just so fucking brilliant.  Check out Dylan Moran if you can.  Tamsin Greig, who co-stars, was in a good program called Green Wing, as well.  I don't own a tv, but I rent the odd program when I'm feeling a bit off/tired on the weekend.

I watched Harvey with James Stewart last week.  Quite a shock to the system, as I don't watch many older movies.  It seemed very much like a stage production, which makes sense since it's based on a play, but seemed over the top and a bit and quite out of my cultural context nonetheless.

I only ever saw a few episodes of Black Books, but I loved it. It's rare for the main character of a sitcom to be a right bastard, but good writers (and actors, and directors) can do wonders with such a setup.

It's a very different kind of movie to Harvey, but if you want to see a really good adaptation of a play, from about that era, rent Anastasia. Ingrid Bergman, Yul Brynner, Helen Hayes, all doing just about their best work, and with a superior screenplay.

deBeauxOs

seen any films recently?
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 07:34:46 PM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
Another good movie with great music is the spoof of modern folk music, "A Mighty Wind". Hilarious. Done by the same guy who did "This Is Spinal Tap".

Christopher Guest.  He also directed "Best In Show" and "Waiting for Guffman", with many of the same actors, and wrote the scripts with Eugene Levy.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
seen any films recently?
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 07:37:59 PM »
I really liked "Waiting for Guffman",  I don't think I've seen "Best in Show". Christopher Guest - he is brilliant.

deBeauxOs

seen any films recently?
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2007, 07:39:53 PM »
I don't think I've seen "Best in Show". Christopher Guest - he is brilliant.
Then you MUST see that one.  His performance is pure genius.

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
seen any films recently?
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2007, 08:49:33 PM »
I will second-that, dBo!  Even funnier than A Mighty Wind, IMHO, and lots of adorable dogs, Boom-Boom!  :dog_wagging:
Loved the tightly-wound yuppie couple, with their "Macs" and Starbucks :lol:

Holly Stick

• View Profile
seen any films recently?
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2007, 09:22:21 PM »
I loved "Harvey", have seen it at least six times - the James Stewart version. I think it was also made with someone else in the lead.
Actually Stewart was in two versions, 1950, and a 1972 TV one; and there was a 1998 TV version with someone else.  In 1972 Helen Hayes played his sister, but she was too astringent; I preferred Josephine Hull in the 1950 show, who was more of a fluffy, dithery old lady.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Croghan27

• View Profile
seen any films recently?
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2007, 09:37:58 PM »
deBeauxOs

yer gonna have to stop putting in such fascinating link - I am sure I had a longer more detailed reply to your post, but got lost in the links to links to links......

(Oh, by the way, I agreed with you)
I will always treasure Leonard Cohen - he keeps getting better and better.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
seen any films recently?
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2007, 10:25:17 PM »
I've seen the Leonard Cohen movie "I'm Your Man' about six times this year. It's great! I'm going to order the soundtrack CD one of these days.

Return To TAT