Author Topic: 28 April: International Workers' Memorial Day  (Read 5674 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
28 April: International Workers' Memorial Day
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:15:12 PM »
The day has many names: Day of Mourning, Day to Commemorate Dead and Injured Workers - but it is a global event.

http://www.hazards.org/wmd/background.htm

Sadly, I'm reporting a local work-related accident as I get this topic started. Farmworkers in a truck killed in a road accident near Berthierville - there were quite a few workers in the truck - no idea whether there were any seatbelts or other safety devices, in this stormy weather - sounds unlikely. Heard 3 were killed - will report more details when I learn of them.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 12:34:44 PM »
I don't know what protections farmworkers have in Quebec, but here are some Tyee articles that explain Campbell's treatment of them in B.C.
The 3 women killed the articles refer to happened the day before Int. Women's Day (March 8) and not one women's name was printed in B.C.'s papers that I am aware of. Grandmother/woman/teen

*  Farmworkers' Deaths: A Tragedy Foretold
      BC Libs long criticized for gutting worker safety.
    * Ripe for Abuse
      Their ranks slashed, only three officers now investigate abuse against the 6,000 Indo-Canadian seniors picking fruit across the Lower Mainland. Expect a harsh season.
    * New Farm Worker Abuses Uncovered
      Widespread violations stem from changed laws, slashed inspections, says BC Fed report.
http://thetyee.ca/News/2007/03/16/Farmworkers/
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:34:30 PM »
Thanks. As for the Berthierville tragedy, they were migrant workers, working at a local abattoir. I don't know any more about the victims yet. I often see the workers lining up very early in the morning near the Jean-Talon métro to be taken to work on nearby farms...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 10:55:43 AM »
So for how many years did we staunchly refuse to buy California grapes in solidarity with Caesar Chavez?  And while we were doing that farm workers in Canada were treated at least as badly as the ones in California.

Every year the fruit in the Okanagan is picked by mainly young people from Quebec who live in absolutely horrible conditions, working for low wages.  I don't know what's happening in Quebec but the numbers of youth willing to be treated like shite seem to be dropping and now the Fiberals are giving permission for "guest workers" to be brought in from Mexico and elsewhere.

Oh by all means!  Do not improve conditions in any way!  Gawd NO!  When the FN folks, Quebec youth and homeless can no longer provide slave labour , import it.  But do NOT improve conditions.

The mainly berry farms in the Fraser Valley depend on seasonal workers and before anyone jumps up to say farmers are barely managing to make ends meet and so can't pay more for...we aren't talking family farms here, we're talking huge acreages and ANYONE can at least provide clean drinking water and a proper shed in which to unroll a sleeping bag.

Honestly, there are times I almost wish I'd just eaten the goddam grapes because we sure as hell didn't do one single positive thing for the farm workers in Canada.  They have NO protection.  Not even labour standards.  And it is past "regrettable" and all the way to "rotten".

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 11:17:57 AM »
They are even talking about bringing in "guest workers" from Mexico's petroleum industry, to work in Alberta.

I think despite everything (poor pay, precarious jobs) the job market has improved somewhat here, in terms of the official unemployment rate at least, and some of the young men, at least, who used to go work in the Okanagan valley and in Southwestern Ontario tomato farms are off working in the oil patch, like Atlantic Canadians.

It is a dreadful shame. I'm still trying to find out more about the accident in Berthierville.
Rosa Luxemburg

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 11:53:17 AM »
I probably wouldn't be as angry at the importation of "guest" workers if we treated them like guests instead of like some lower form of life.  Guest workers have been imported to work on 2010 Olympic projects and so they were housed in a motel which had previously been condemned as unfit for human habitation.  But it's okay to put non humans in, I guess.  They are paid less, they have no protections, and out of their meagre pay they have to refund the cost of the plane tickets to get them here and take them back when the job is finished.

Well, NO!  Dammit, if (I doubt sincerely) there are no bodies to do this work then by all means bring people from elsewhere.  And once here pay them equitable wages.

and, of course, we haven't touched on domestic workers or "nannies" who get brought in and treated shabbily.  The well off treasure their kids so much they treat their care givers worse than the people who look after the animals in the zoo.

faith

• View Profile
    • http://www.faithloverobertson.com
work employment money
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 12:14:06 PM »
These guest workers are being brought in despite the fact that there are many workers still on the books in union offices. Even though the workers are competition for workers in BC it was a coalition of union workers that fought for rights and decent wages for these guys. I am not sure of the current status of the 'guests' but the last I heard they were attempting to sign them up to unionise.
just picture it

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 09:12:01 PM »
Something different for Int. IW Day tomorrow. We also need to remember our working brethren before they have had an accident. I didn't write anything this year, but there is something here in the archives somewhere.

Salt Of The Earth
The Rolling Stones

(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Let's drink to the hard working people
Let's drink to the lowly of birth
Raise your glass to the good and the evil
Let's drink to the salt of the earth

Say a prayer for the common foot soldier
Spare a thought for his back breaking work
Say a prayer for his wife and his children
Who burn the fires and who still till the earth

And when I search a faceless crowd
A swirling mass of gray and
Black and white
They don't look real to me
In fact, they look so strange

Raise your glass to the hard working people
Let's drink to the uncounted heads
Let's think of the wavering millions
Who need leaders but get gamblers instead

Spare a thought for the stay-at-home voter
His empty eyes gaze at strange beauty shows
And a parade of the gray suited grafters
A choice of cancer or polio

And when I look in the faceless crowd
A swirling mass of grays and
Black and white
They don't look real to me
Or don't they look so strange

Let's think of the lowly of birth
Spare a thought for the rag taggy people

Let's drink to the two thousand million
Let's think of the humble of birth

Toedancer

• View Profile

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 09:37:23 AM »
A report on the Day of Mouring in the Gazette: More than 200 Quebecers died on the job last year

Toedancer, I hope you found a moment for that call-in show.
Rosa Luxemburg

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 04:28:11 PM »
The Day of Mourning in Kimberley, BC; CTV report
The International Day of Mourning in Kimberley was one of the most emotional gatherings across the country.

Close to 100 people gathered to remember those who died in the Sullivan mine accident less than a year ago. ...
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 07:55:43 PM »
Ah, yes, Angie Shira...good woman, does not suffer stupidity or bullshit at all, let alone with good grace or humour.

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: 28 April: International Workers' Memorial Day
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »
We are still a few months away from Workers' Memorial Day, but the horrific crash in southwestern Ontario must be remembered as a work casualty as well as a traffic accident.

Today The Star has a report on the poor Lima district most of the dead farmworkers hailed from and their families back home: http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1129104--workers-fled-poverty-dust-chaos-in-lima?bn=1
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: 28 April: International Workers' Memorial Day
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT