Author Topic: This day in history  (Read 33425 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
This day in history
« on: April 19, 2007, 09:52:38 AM »
19 April seems often to have been a wowser:

The "shot heard around the world" was fired. Colonial Minute Men took on British Army regulars at Lexington and Concord, Mass., starting the American Revolution.

Lord Byron died of a fever while helping the Greeks fight the Turks.

Naturalist Charles Darwin, developer of the theory of evolution, died.

The first Boston Marathon was run.

The United States went off the gold standard.

The Warsaw ghetto uprising began, one of the first mass rebellions against the Nazis.

The siege at Waco, Texas, ended when FBI moved into the Branch Davidian compound with tear gas and cult members set fire to the compound killing over 80 people.

The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Okla., was destroyed by a car bomb. 168 people, including 19 children were killed in the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history up to that time.

Germany's Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger became Pope Benedict XVI.

belva

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 10:26:35 AM »
some better options for this date:

April 19
1892 - The Duryea gasoline buggy was first driven in the United States.

1924 - A new show joined the airwaves. The Chicago Barn Dance aired on WLS radio in the Windy City. Later, the famous program would be renamed The National Barn Dance. This program was the first country music jamboree on radio. (The Grand Ole Opry on WSM Radio in Nashville, TN began in 1925.) National Barn Dance continued for many years on the radio station that was owned by retailer, Sears Roebuck & Co. WLS, in fact, stood for ‘World’s Largest Store’. Though the Barn Dance gave way to rock music and now, talk radio, The Grand Ole Opry continues each weekend in Nashville.

1940 - Paavo Nurmi, a runner from Finland, predicted that a four-minute mile would be run within the next decade. He was off by only 4 years! Roger Bannister broke the four-minute mile at Oxford, England in a time of 3:59.4 on May 6, 1954.

1945 - The musical Carousel, based on Molnar’s Liliom, opened at the Majestic Theatre in New York City. John Raitt and Jan Clayton starred in the show which ran for 890 performances. Music was by the team of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein.

1951 - Shigeki Tanaka, who survived the atomic blast at Hiroshima, Japan in World War II, won the Boston Marathon.

1956 - Actress Grace Kelly became Princess Grace of Monaco on this day. The beloved U.S. actress from Philadelphia married Prince Rainier III of Monaco in a storybook wedding. More than 1,500 radio, TV, newspaper and magazine reporters were on hand for the event in Monaco, as were most of the citizens of the tiny country.

1959 - Singer Harry Belafonte appeared in the first of two benefit concerts for charity at Carnegie Hall in New York City.

1985 - A Central Regional High School student, Al Leiter, used a blazing 85-mph fastball to strike out 32 batters on the way to a 0-0 tie! The game, played in Berkeley Township, NJ, was called after 13 innings. Leiter’s effort was just five short of the record set in 1971. When asked about the game being called at that time, Leiter looked at reporters and said, “Darn. Excuse me, folks, I have to go screw my arm back in place...”

Birthdays:
April 19
1772 - David Ricardo
economist, author: The High Price of Bullion, a Proof of the Depreciation of Bank Notes, Principles of Political Economy and Taxation; died Sep 11, 1823

1905 - Tommy Benford
drummer: with Jelly Roll Morton’s Red Hot Peppers; died in 1994

1927 - Don Barbour
singer: group: The Four Freshmen [1953-1960]: Graduation Day, Charmaine, Blue World

1928 - Alexis Korner
musician: guitar, singer: Whole Lotta Love; died Jan 1, 1984

1933 - Jayne Mansfield (Vera Jane Palmer)
actress: Pete Kelly’s Blues, It Takes a Thief, The Girl Can’t Help It; killed in car crash near New Orleans LA June 29, 1967

1935 - Dudley Moore
actor: Arthur, Arthur 2, 10, Crazy People, Parallel Lives, Bedazzled, The Hound of the Baskervilles; died Mar 27, 2002

1936 - Wilfried Martens
Belgium Prime Minister

1943 - Czeslaw Bartkowski
jazz composer, musician: drums: has recorded over 80 LPs

1946 - Tim Curry
actor: Muppet Treasure Island, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, Oscar, Stephen King’s It, The Hunt for Red October, Oliver Twist, Annie, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, My Favorite Year, Amadeus, Hair, Wiseguy, The Legend of Prince Valiant, voice of King Chicken in cartoon: Duckman, Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events

1956 - Sue Barker
tennis: French Open Champion: Women’s Singles [1976]

Holly Stick

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 12:31:54 PM »
Where's Croghan with his military bits?
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
This day in history
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 12:38:45 PM »
he is having log in issues again.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Caissa

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 12:41:06 PM »
Holly Stick wrote: Where's Croghan with his military bits?

Pardon me.  :oops:

Holly Stick

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 12:43:51 PM »
Ooh, what a naughty mind you have.  Better not let Mrs. C see this one either. :lol:
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

justme

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 12:45:25 PM »
Quote from: Caissa
Holly Stick wrote: Where's Croghan with his military bits?

Pardon me.  :oops:

I'm picturing these little uniforms and wee hats . . .

Boom Boom

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 01:27:04 PM »
I love Crogran's posts, but I always scroll past the military history stuff. Not my cup of tea, frankly, although me faddah was a military man.  Yo, Crogan, hope you get logged in soon!  :D

belva

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 01:58:09 PM »
one more wowzer:

I just found out that this morning, about 8:30, a man was shot 7 times, on a downtown street, 2 blocks from my office.  wildwomyn drove me to work & left me off at the office about 7:45 & I had heard lots of sirens but had not thought anything of it. My beloved just heard about it & called, rather panic-struck.  The man is still alive but in very critical condition. Police have a description but have made no arrest. The incident happened near the entrance to a day care center & apparently no young children saw the shooting but only police activity immediately afterwards.

corrected as per newspaper account & phone call to police officer I know

belva

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 02:40:40 PM »
from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette website:

Man shot multiple times Downtown
Thursday, April 19, 2007

By Dennis B. Roddy and Torsten Ove, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A gunman walked up to a man standing on Smithfield Street this morning, took him down with several rounds from a handgun, then stood over him and calmly pumped several more shots into the victim in front of horrified witnesses on their way to work, some taking their children to a nearby day-care center.

The shooting took place around 8:40 a.m. along the sidewalk in front of Apparel Warehouse at 409 Smithfield, near Brightside Academy day-care center.

One witness, Spencer Hatherly of Carrick, said he heard three or four gunshots as he walked up Smithfield, then saw a man staggering backward on the sidewalk, where he collapsed.

"He tried to pull up, but he lost all his energy. He tried to [keep] himself from falling," said Mr. Hatherly.

According to City Police Cmdr. Thomas Stangrecki, the victim, a 27-year-old black man from the Hill District, was standing outside VIP Styles, a salon in the 400 block, when the gunman parked along Fourth Avenue, approached him, and began firing. Police said some witnesses said the gunman grabbed the victim and shot him in the chest.

Cmdr. Stangrecki described it as a "targeted shooting. He wasn't firing randomly. It certainly is pretty bold."

At a press conference this afternoon, Lt. Kevin Kraus of the homicide squad said the shooter was "obviously looking for the victim."

Before the shooting, the suspect approached another man from behind who was talking on a pay phone in front of 409 Smithfield. The gunman grabbed the man and held him at gunpoint for several seconds. When the man turned around, however, the gunman realized he had the wrong target and said, "My bad." The man on the phone did not contact police, but detectives interviewed him after the incident.

After that exchange, the gunman returned to his car for several minutes to apparently wait for the intended victim and spotted him about five minutes later, Lt. Kraus said. Witnesses indicated he walked up calmly to the victim, grabbed him, shot him and continued shooting him as he fell to the ground. The gunman fired eight times in all, and the victim was apparently hit seven times, at least twice in the center of his chest. A slug was found near Macy's, about a block away.

Even so, Lt. Kraus said, the victim was alert and talking to police before being taken into surgery at Mercy Hospital.

"We hope to conduct a more thorough interview when he gets out of surgery," he said.

Police are reviewing surveillance video from several cameras in the area and interviewing numerous witnesses.

The suspect is described as black, about 6 feet tall, with dreadlocks and possibly a full beard. He was wearing a dark blue or black trenchcoat or similar long coat.

A woman who declined to give her name said she was driving down Smithfield toward Fifth when she heard shots and saw the gunman standing over the victim.

"I really didn't get a good description," said the woman, who said she immediately ducked. "I saw one shot, then he ran and stood over him and shot several times," she said. After she spoke with reporters, police took a statement from her. The woman said she had called 911 after she saw the shooting.

Mr. Hatherly said that after the shooting, the gunman ran up Smithfield and got into an automobile and fled. Cmdr. Stangrecki said the car was a stolen blue Subaru, license plate GMC 0958.

As the shooting erupted, panicked witnesses fled into Quick Stop convenience store at the corner of Smithfield and Fourth, according to clerks there.

We brought everybody in here and locked the door. Everybody was screaming. It was really horrible," said Elaine Keil. She said one young woman was walking past the victim as the shooting began.

"She said the shots were so loud she was afraid to look when she heard the first shot, she started running," Ms. Keil said. "I thought she was going to faint."

An oncoming Port Authority bus stopped half a block short of the shooting as it took place. Mr. Hatherly said some people began to flee, and some parents quickly rushed their children into the day-care center. Port Authority spokesman Bob Grove said drivers of buses near the scene allowed passengers to get off rather than staying on buses once the scene was secured.

City and Port Authority police converged on the scene. What appeared to be a crumpled man's jacket and ball cap lay on the sidewalk as police scoured the area for evidence. At least six shell casings were tagged, some in the middle of the street, some on the sidewalk.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl arrived at the scene of the shooting shortly after 10 a.m. and said police "have some good leads" on the gunman. He assured city residents that it was not a random shooting bearing any resemblance to Monday's shootings at Virginia Tech.

"To have an act of violence on Smithfield Street in broad daylight with hundreds of witnesses around -- it raises concern," the mayor said.

"I want to assure the public that this is an isolated incident," he said. "Police believe it is a targeted shooting. There are a lot of witnesses who are cooperating. Despite this today, we are one of the safest cities in America."

The mayor had been at a groundbreaking for a library in the Hill District when he heard about the incident.

Point Park University partially locked down its buildings until 10 a.m., when the university got confirmation that the gunman had left the area, according to an email sent by Angela J. Burrows, senior director of marketing and public relations.

Sarah Horn, director of marketing for the day-care center, said the center usually has 165 children but today had about 90 because some parents took their kids home or didn't come because of the shooting. She said the building remains locked down and children are having a normal day.

"Right now the atmosphere inside is happy," she said.

She said none of the children apparently saw the shooting, just the "hubbub" afterwards.

Also, many other buildings in the area locked down. Several banks in the area were closed.

brebis noire

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 02:42:34 PM »
:shock:  :(

So, uh, belva - when are the American people finally going to rise up and launch a ginormous class-action suit against gun manufacturers and lawmakers that allow them to be so readily available??

Talk about a worthy cause.  :)

belva

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 02:46:38 PM »
Quote from: brebis noire
:shock:  :(

So, uh, belva - when are the American people finally going to rise up and launch a ginormous class-action suit against gun manufacturers and lawmakers that allow them to be so readily available??

Talk about a worthy cause.  :)

IF ONLY . . . .

from your lips to God's ears, as my Jewish friends say

steffie

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 10:39:53 AM »
Today is 420 Day!
It is widely accepted that in 1971, a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in San Rafael, California, calling themselves "The Waldos", used to meet every day after school at 4:20 p.m. to smoke marijuana at the Louis Pasteur statue. The term became part of their group's salute, "420 Louis," and it eventually caught on more widely. Many cannabis users continue to observe 4:20 as a time to smoke communally. By extension April 20 ("4/20" in U.S. dating shorthand) has evolved into a counterculture holiday, where people gather to celebrate and consume cannabis.

(This quote is from the Wiki entry, but for some reason, I can't figure out how to insert the link)  (stop snickering.)

I have the day off, and the sun is shining!   8)
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
This day in history
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 10:55:57 AM »
wiki links are notorious for embedding problems.

It's all the "weird" characters.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 10:57:45 AM »
And these days are the anniversary of the protests against the "Summit of the Americas" in Québec City!

We were so pleased to have nice weather, as we have now here, in Québec, where it is so often cold well into May...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT