Author Topic: Baseball in one thread. Blue Jays baseball, that is.  (Read 5370 times)

'lance

• View Profile
Baseball in one thread. Blue Jays baseball, that is.
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:04:51 PM »
As I hoped yesterday in another thread, the Jays indeed slew a dragon for St. George's Day. Scored points off it anyway -- beating Boston, 2004 Whirled Series champeens, and current AL leaders, 7-3.

Here's hoping in the follow-up today Toronto climbs back up to .500 and stays above that mark the rest of the season. Go, Halladay! (And shape up, bullpen).

That is all; carry on.

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 05:03:25 PM »
Baseball died for me the day the expos left the country :(

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 05:06:33 PM »
Blue Jay baseball died for me the day they moved into the Dome. I went a few more times, until they started setting off fireworks. Inside.

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 05:25:03 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
Blue Jay baseball died for me the day they moved into the Dome. I went a few more times, until they started setting off fireworks. Inside.

ya, you'd think if they went to the trouble of building a "convertable" stadium they'd put the top down.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:42:45 PM »
What happened to my baseball 'n' hockey thread all in one? What? I ask you?

It was funny.

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 06:49:31 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
What happened to my baseball 'n' hockey thread all in one? What? I ask you?

It was funny.

it's just not done, young lady; it's just not done.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 07:18:33 AM »
chester called me "young lady." I'm such a sucker, but that works for me.

So I'll repeat the link, chester. You must watch this. It's very funny, and besides, you'll learn the derivation of hoser.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 07:53:24 AM »
chester is channelling gunnar. That is a funny video, skdadl. Thanks.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 08:23:51 AM »
:rotfl:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 08:30:13 AM »
My favourite line in that video: "My groin has never felt better."   :lol:

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
I'll watch that video when I can get sound (no speakers on this computer; forgot my earphones today, which means I can't listen to the Toronto-Texas game either, until I get home).

Meanwhile: the Jays climb back above .500 with a 6-0 shut-out of the Yankees last night -- AJ Burnett to the fore. Woo-hoo.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 07:17:05 PM »
while preparing for the football game tonight (Calgary - Montreal) I came upon this essay on heros in sports. It is mostly about baseball and Barry Bonds, but well worth reading.

There is concern among many sport journalists, especially those at Sport’s Illustrated, that Bonds will foster disillusionment with sport and baseball among the impressionable youth of America, who will be encouraged to take short cuts on the path to success. Of course, it seems that the business community offers plenty of such examples. The Enron scandal moves the exploits of Bonds into the category of small potatoes. And who said that baseball players are supposed to be saints and role models. Charles Barkley got it right when he insisted that parents should be the role models. They get up each day, go to work, and make sacrifices for their children. While athletic skills are admirable, individuals who hit a ball, shoot a basket, or kick a football should never be considered idols
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 10:59:13 PM »
I have not been monitoring american papers lately so this may be reported in them - I found it in the Guardian.

Arizona immigration law: baseball players cry foul

More that a quarter of the players in Major League are 'hispanic' and they are irked at this law directed at them and their families.

The Major League Baseball Players Association opposes this law as written. We hope that the law is repealed or modified promptly. If the current law goes into effect, the MLBPA will consider additional steps necessary to protect the rights and interests of our members.

but not only the Players Association does not like the bill .... Jeb Bush (brother of and maker of Presidents) frowns upon it too.

Ken Kendricks, the Arizona Diamondback owner, and major funder of the Arizona Republicans responds bravely .... "No! No! Not me .... I was just a member of the organization and never fought in the war supported the bill. " (Way to stand up for what you believe there, Ken)
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: Baseball in one thread. Blue Jays baseball, that is.
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »
for those interested .... The Jays had three players appointed to this year's All Star Team:
catcher John Buck and outfielders Jose Bautista and Vernon Wells

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball in one thread. Blue Jays baseball, that is.
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 02:07:53 PM »
Yay! I wonder whether anyone livestreams the game -- probably not. Back to the radio, I guess. That  game is usually fun because it's so different from the regular season.

Return To TAT