Author Topic: (Non-North American) Football (formerly known as Soccah?)  (Read 28226 times)

suzette

• View Profile
(Non-North American) Football (formerly known as Soccah?)
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 07:44:11 AM »
I love the Beautiful Game.  To watch, that is.

Being up at all hours breastfeeding meant that I got to see the FA Cup final last night.  I generally find the English football dull as duck doo-doo, and last night was no exception, really.  Neither team was prepared to push forward and do anything even vaguely risky for the first half, and then weren't exactly dancing on the cliff edge throughout the second.  I do enjoy watching Christiano Ronaldo play, though.  He seems to really get a kick out of showing off his flashy foot skills, and I have to admit they are as impressive as they are entertaining.

The Hegemo

• View Profile
    • http://neutralzonetrap.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 12:32:24 PM »
I get to see Toronto FC in person next week when they come to town to visit my Crew (I'm a half-season ticket holder). Looking forward to it...hope the Crew can rebound from that ugly 4-0 drubbing by NYRB last night  

My favorite team in England is Newcastle United = the Leafs of soccer. Huge, loyal fanbase who turn out year after year after year to watch a subpar team that never wins anything and has Ballard-esque ownership  :? Hopefully Allardyce can make some difference there...

The Hegemo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 09:10:48 AM »
If anyone's interested in viewing some blurry cellphone shots of the Crew-Toronto FC game, they can be found here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v318/ ... onto%20FC/

(guest password is leo)

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 09:16:27 AM »
Does DARKSIDECAT go on road trips, too?   :D

Isn't FC a Football Club?    :shock:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 09:22:01 AM »
I've never really paid attention to soccer before but I watched the game last night and really enjoyed it.

It seems to be one game that still cares about skills. Now I just have to learn the rules.  :soccer

ETA: here's a dumb question: what if anything does the FC stand for??
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

The Hegemo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2007, 09:39:18 AM »
FC = Football Club

There's been a trend in MLS the last few years towards more "Euro" sounding names and away from the silly North American soccer names like Galaxy, Fire, um, Crew.

Unfortunately, though, this trend did give us Real Salt Lake.  :shock:

Who in addition to their horrible name, appear to have ripped off their crest design and colors from  Queen's University.

So this game was televised on CBC? I know it was on, because a friend in Calgary called me after Toronto scored their second goal  :lol:

Toronto brought a busload of fans down; they were quite colorful with the flags and chants, although mostly well-behaved. I did see a couple being removed by Columbus' finest (one for lighting flares in the stands, one for coming down to the end by the "Hudson Street Hooligans" and starting trouble). But after the game, some of the Toronto fans were running up and down the length of the plaza outside the stadium thanking Columbus for hosting them, which was very nice of them.

The Crew handed out little American flags to everyone on the way into the game, I guess to try and make it into a national battle. I didn't see anyone actually waving their flags, though.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2007, 09:50:01 AM »
sheesh I came up with that and thought no it has to be something else  :D

The crests do look similar, though I suppose there is only so far you can go in creating something new.

Great pics!
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Papal Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 07:24:09 PM »
I'm really looking forward to Arsenal or CSKA names to enter the MLS.

Arsenal Montreal
CSKA Las Vegas
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

- Samuel Taylor Colerdige

The Hegemo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2007, 08:11:49 PM »
Stan Kroenke (Wal-Mart heir by marriage) who owns the Colorado Rapids of MLS has been buying shares of Arsenal, and has created a "marketing alliance" between the Rapids and Arsenal. It's been rumored that the Rapids will be renamed Arsenal at some point.

Personally, I think they should return to the great heritage of U.S. soccer and the classic team names like Columbus Xoggz  :lol:

John_D

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 08:22:53 PM »
This weekend saw a crazy game in Euro 2008 qualifying between Sweden and Denmark. The Swedes went up 3-0 within the first half hour, but Denmark was able to claw all the way back to a 3-3 tie. Then, with about a minute left, the referee awarded Sweden a penalty and ejected Danish player Christian Poulsen. In response, a Danish fan charged onto the field and attempted to attack the referee, which led to the game being abandonned. The result is pending review by a disciplinary committee, although one likely result is a 3-0 Swedish win by forfeit.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 07:33:56 AM »
Let's not forget Toronto FC's 2-1 win over Colorado, pulling them out of the basement.

The Hegemo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 07:40:53 PM »
Hey, the Crew helped them out a little bit by continuing to suck  :lol:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 02:14:25 PM »
But it isn't Soccah, it's Footie - le Foot - Calcio - Futebol - Fußball... :soccer
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 03:12:04 PM »
so, now that were in an appropriate thread ( :roll: ), did team canada really play that bad or were they the victims of homey-hype before the tournament?

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 08:54:03 AM »
They stunk. They had 9 corners in the first half against Congo and didn't come close to converting. The goal against Austria was on Austria's first real chance. They were truly outclassed by Chile. Could someone change the thread title to Football, please? Then I'm sure the shenanigans in the CFL thread will stop.  :D

Return To TAT