Author Topic: (Non-North American) Football (formerly known as Soccah?)  (Read 28228 times)

John_D

• View Profile
(Non-North American) Football (formerly known as Soccah?)
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2007, 08:14:50 PM »
Sorry if I missed it, but I don't think anyone's been talking up Big Red, who are in tough at the Women's World Cup in China. They opened with a 2-1 loss to Norway, but rebounded to beat Ghana 4-0. This means it all boils down to Wednesday's game against Australia, with the winner moving on to the next round. (Australia will advance if there's a draw.)

Big Red versus the Matildas, 4:45 am Eastern time (Yikes!) on Wednesday. It'll be shown on the CBC sports website, and I believe will be replayed on CBC TV around midnight. Should be a good one.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2007, 09:29:42 AM »
One advantage of leaving in NB is the game starts at 5:45. Our eldest gets up at 5:30 so I'm sure I can get a 5:40 wakeup call. I'll go on a limb and predict a 2-1 Canadian victory.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2007, 07:29:36 AM »
Postponed due to a typhon.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2007, 07:25:38 AM »
Oh, so close. I had to leave at the 90th minute with Canada was leading 2-1. The Aussies tied it in extra time sending Canada crashing out of the tournamewnt. :rant2:

suzette

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2007, 07:40:52 AM »
Ah, I have been meaning to post about this upcoming game, but now it's a recent game.  Sorry Canukistanis.  But not terribly.    :wink:

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2007, 08:06:23 AM »
I guess you are the silver lining in this situation. :wink:

suzette

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2007, 01:51:40 AM »
Ah, you jest, my friend, but there really is a silver lining: people are watching and talking about a women's sport.  And  one that doesn't involve bikinis or jelly (jello?).

Damn.  I've just been  trying to find a particular cartoon by the fabulous Judy Horacek on the subject.  There's two women watching TV and one says something like, "They're showing women's sport on TV!  Maybe we're reaching some kind of  equality after all these years." And the other one says, "Or all the men have died."  Then the first one says, "You're right, that is more likely."  Hey, it was funny when Judy drew it.

This one will do for now:

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2007, 07:32:14 AM »
You should have a good chance of beating Brazil to make the semi-finals.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2008, 10:00:31 AM »
I only barely remember this story m'self -- the airliner crash fifty years ago that killed and injured so many members of Manchester United -- but this tribute is a very moving piece of writing. Whether you're interested in soccer or not, this is history, very well done.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2008, 09:45:36 PM »
Thanks skdadl. That was very touching. I had never heard of that tragedy.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

The Hegemo

• View Profile
    • http://neutralzonetrap.wordpress.com
Re: (Non-North American) Football (formerly known as Soccah?)
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2008, 09:56:48 AM »
Columbus Crew, 2008 Supporters Shield (best regular season record) and MLS Cup (playoff champion) winners! What a magical season this has been, after several years of futility.

It was great to travel and see the championship game, although it felt a little anti-climactic compared to the semi-final at home. I was sitting in a section surrounded mostly by LA locals, and when the game ended, they pretty much got up and left. There wasn't quite the same feeling of collective excitement as when they won the semi-final.

But the game itself was pretty entertaining. Guillermo Barros-Schelotto just played out of his skin.

My slideshow of pictures from the final is at:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v318/ ... =slideshow

They had a rally last night for the team at the Statehouse with Governor Strickland. Not a huge turnout, but respectable for 5PM on a weekday in a cold rain. They had the trophy there (which is sadly named for wingnut billionaire Phillip Anschutz) and after the formal part of the rally was over and the players and politicians dispersed, there was no one guarding the trophy, and the fans were going up and touching it and picking it up. I took a couple up-close pictures, but it just didn't feel right to be grabbing the trophy and holding it up.

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: (Non-North American) Football (formerly known as Soccah?)
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2008, 12:48:25 PM »
A Welsh friend of mine here in Fort McMurray got a surprise call from an old friend. (This was in the 1980s.) The friend was a bus driver and was in town on a job - he invited my bud to go to his hotel room, quaff a few and watch the Stanley Cup.

There was no playoff game that night and my bud thought it was odd - but put it down to cultural confusion.

When he arrived at the hotel room there indeed was the Stanley Cup. It was on a country wide tour and the driver of the bus was the guardian for the night.

I have seen the pictures taken of Lloyd, in a hockey jersey, holding the cup over his head in a pose of victory.   :rotfl:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT