Author Topic: summer clothing  (Read 37940 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
summer clothing
« on: May 10, 2007, 03:26:18 PM »
I'm wearing a sleeveless camisole - inside the house. But arms not only middle-aged with all that entails, but not kissed by the sun. Sort of a sick ivory colour (if not to say a bit greenish). Don't know how to dress for this kind of weather, or how or if I should cover up my arms and shoulders from the cruel threadbare sky.

Help me think of more pleasant summer clothing - the lightness of it all!
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

alisea

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/windsea/
summer clothing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 03:33:42 PM »
I'm wearing a sundress from Costa Rica that I've had for ever. It has an appliquéd peacock on the front panel, running almost all the way down, and loose short cap sleeves that go down about 2.5 inches on my arms. It's loosely gathered over the top of my breasts, with two bright flower appliqués on the right and left that merge over onto the cap sleeves.

Oh, and a big broad-rimmed straw hat.

I think I look rather snazzy for 52  :lol:

And it's lovely and loose and cool, and looks good under a light black silk blazer.
Do not meddle with the Forces of Nature, for you are small, insignificant, and biodegradable.

kuri

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 03:35:46 PM »
I, too, am prudish when comes to sun and am therefore very pale. And I have big arms for a chick with prominent biceps. So I understand where you're coming from, lagatta.

I often just let my arms out but for occasions where I have to cover them I go with linen, because it's such a breathable fabric. I'm wearing a light sage green linen suit right now in a very overheated office and I'm comfortable. It's my favourite suit of all time. :)

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
summer clothing
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 04:11:15 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread, lagatta!  I've added at least 5 min to my morning routine this week...hunting, digging, rummaging around for summer clothes :panic I'm not ready! I'm not ready :panic

Lab is in the basement, so it's the same ol'story: sweat to death en route to work...freeze to death chez work. I am pale too, so I can't go barelegged or bare-armed, else I look like a plucked chicken.  Not that I would do that anyway!  Modest, gentle lady! :lol:

So, I usually look silly and overdressed in the summer. Bah!!  Bring me September, when we can feel cool & chic in our jackets. Dignity!

ETA: that linen suit sounds perfect, kuri!  Do you have to iron it?

kuri

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 04:26:02 PM »
I probably should. But I get away with no ironing if I air dry it and hang it very carefully.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
summer clothing
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 04:28:07 PM »
*basking in smugitude* I always get caught by warm weather too. But last week, I didn't have any work, so I burrowed into the scary closet -- actually it's the only closet and it is regular closet width but about 6 scary feet deep -- and got out some summer clothes. Shorts, sleeveless blouses, t-shirt dresses. And then I Washed them.

Bow before me, you gormless slackers. I am the Queen of Smugitude.   :twisted:

k'in

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 04:40:54 PM »
lagatta-I have a couple of light, long sleeved cotton "crocheted" tops that breathe in the summer.  You have to wear something (tank top, camisole)under it.  Long sleeved "gauzy" or very light cotton blouses are reasonably comfortable, if there is such a thing during the hot, hazy, humid spells.  

Today I'm wearing a light cotton, long sleeved "floaty" skirted dress.  Looks sort of like something an ice dancer would wear.  Comfortable and covers up the pasty-pale arms.  Transition wear.

belva

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 05:03:10 PM »
it's 78F here [still can't convert to the **** C] right now but not humid--bright & sunny with just a bit of breeze

no court appearance today, just paper work & meeting with a client here in the office, so I'm wearing a nice lightweight tan suit (skirt & jacket) with high heeled sandals (matching tan color) to show off my freshly pedicured toes (with a pretty violet polish) 8)

retrieved most of the spring & summer clothes from the storage closet about 4 weeks ago

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
summer clothing
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 05:04:08 PM »
This discussion is really depressing me.

I found the one decent summer outfit I have for my lunch on Sunday. Then I wore it for three days. Until I wash it/them, I have nothing to wear except baggy shorts and horrid T-shirts. Woe is me.

I do have some more formal things, but seriously. This is awful. I need new clothes. Someone save me.

belva

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 05:10:26 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
I do have some more formal things, but seriously. This is awful. I need new clothes. Someone save me.

quick, someone take this gril SHOPPING!!! to a clothing sale!!!!!!!

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
summer clothing
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »
PS: Bring munnee.

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
summer clothing
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 05:53:34 PM »
I agree. Totally depressing!  Can't someone just throw a sheet over me until fall?  Put me in cold storage?

Toedancer

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 06:03:07 PM »
Variety Village.

When I was stealing the lilacs today the owner came out and watched me. I smiled and noticed she was staring at my bosom. So I looked. There was lasagna stains on front.  :oops: And I'm wearing baggy jeans that have been washed so many times they are now light as a feather and of course my crocs.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

'lance

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 06:24:39 PM »
It's a bit different for gyus of course, but in my middle age I've (belatedly) adopted at least one inviolable rule of summer clothing:

Except when bumming around the house, or cycling -- and only rarely then -- I never. Wear. Shorts.

Which I just recently learned puts me in the illustrious company* of Helen Mirren, no less.

* Figuratively speaking, of course.**

** Damn.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 06:32:36 PM »
I wear the same basic clothing all year 'round: jeans and a polo shirt.

PS: love the new avatar, Toe! :lol:

Return To TAT