Author Topic: summer clothing  (Read 37938 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 11:50:09 PM »
Perhaps lance a) is hairier than you or b) hates applying sunscreen.

Not a"hate-on", but a matter of aesthetics, or perhaps of "anti-américanisme primaire". Though as well as Merkins, Germans also have a reputation for wearing shorts in urban settings. I was relieved that sweetie was not among those. Especially in Paris...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

kuri

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 12:01:43 AM »
Hmmm... weird. I've never thought of shorts as particularly USian. I guess because I'm primarily thinking of the tailored variety used a good number of hot countries - the bermuda short. I still think styles like this are quite chic and flattering....

'lance

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 12:19:33 AM »
Quote from: lagatta
Perhaps lance a) is hairier than you or b) hates applying sunscreen.

As for b); no, not really, but a), I'd bet good money on it. And like Boom Boom, I burn rather than tan. Another reason to cover up.

Not a"hate-on", but a matter of aesthetics, or perhaps of "anti-américanisme primaire".

Definitely over-interpreting, there. No political/cultural significance to this, in my mind. (And I'm not anti-American, besides. What's anti-Americanism?)

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
summer clothing
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 12:46:33 AM »
Quote from: kuri
I still think styles like this are quite chic and flattering....

Now those are downright loverly, kuri. That's it...you have to take me shopping  :P

lagatta

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 07:40:53 AM »
Just on the border between bermudas and what we used to call "pedal-pushers" (pantalon corsaire/pantacourt)... They are nice but of course require a bit of height and not too much of a bum/hips... Front view easier than rear-end one!

skdadl, we do have to go shopping. I was happy to be in Italy last summer, but sad that I didn't have any money to take advantage of sales at the shops in the town I was in... Gorgeous things - beautiful colours and fabrics.

Think men actually spend more on clothing than women do in Italy and many other Med countries.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 08:36:59 AM »
I have a nice collection of comfortable shorts of different lengths, but I've just started to realise that other than for biking or gardening or something active, they're not so nice, aesthetically speaking. Unless you're 10 years old or something, it's not a great fashion choice. Ahem, I have spoken.  :wink: But my problem is, I don't much like wearing capris unless they're right down to near the ankle. Hard to find, in other words. And I don't, or almost never, wear skirts.

So summer dressing is starting to prove a tiny bit more complicated. I'll still wear shorts to work, cause they'll be under a lab coat anyways, but what I really like are long, flowy pants that aren't hot-making. (also hard to find.)

On top it's easier; I like tanks and sleeveless shirts of all kinds. From the back view, I can make many gyu's eyes pop out, I think it's because they've ever seen such broad shoulders on a gril. The reaction used to make me feel uncomfortable and I used to wear baggy t-shirts mainly for that reason, but I've decided to take it as a compliment, albeit an unusual one. I don't even think they know if they find it attractive, or just surprising, because otherwise I have a rather slight build.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
summer clothing
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 08:47:15 AM »
But brebis noire, you are such a neat tiny person, or at least that's how I remember you. One of our former mayors was known as "Tiny Perfect," and while I certainly wouldn't say that you look like David Crombie at all at all, it's still a good name for you, I think.  :)

I like those trousers of kuri's too -- if only I could get my tummy flat again. :(

I guess I do need to go shopping. I used to know how to do that.

brebis noire

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 08:53:47 AM »
Well that's why the shoulders surprise so much. It is literally impossible for me to find a top with sleeves that fits - I lift my arms and they get stuck partway up.  :?  I gave up on matching suits a long time ago. And that's why I used to go baggy.

I'm definitely not tiny like a skater or a gymnast, but I do have that freakish shoulder build, I like to think I have strong shoulders of Russian peasant (though the back's not really strong in a useful way anymore.)

kuri

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2007, 08:58:43 AM »
I'm very similar shoulder-wise, and I've found a few gems, suitwise.

But then, that's part of the reason why I'm interested in making my own clothes more and more lately.

lagatta

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2007, 09:08:50 AM »
I'm the polar opposite - small shoulders and back, big t+a even when I had a teeny waist. Mediterranean peasant build. Nothing fits me either, of course.
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 10:31:08 AM »
I'm very similar shoulder-wise, and I've found a few gems, suitwise.

But then, that's part of the reason why I'm interested in making my own clothes more and more lately.

I tried to learn how to sew my clothes, a long time ago - and I really applied myself. But I really didn't, and don't, have the necessary talent and eye for detail. I could pull off a few patterns, but they were rather baggy kind of clothes, and anything remotely tailored was out of the question. I seem to measure fabric the same way I cook: a lot of approximation and estimation. What works well for cooking doesn't tranfer to sewing.  :) Two different skill sets, maybe.

vmichel

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2007, 11:53:01 AM »
Quote from: kuri
Hmmm... weird. I've never thought of shorts as particularly USian. I guess because I'm primarily thinking of the tailored variety used a good number of hot countries - the bermuda short. I still think styles like this are quite chic and flattering....

Those do look nice in that picture. I was just shopping for a suit, for job interviews, and apparently those shorts are now the new style for suits. I had a horrible time finding a suit with regular long pants -- ended up with a wool suit, not ideal for summer job hunting but at least it's not shorts! When did shorts become OK to wear with suits?

brebis noire

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2007, 11:58:40 AM »
Probably the same people who still think gauchos are chic. But you're probably too young to remember that fashion craze.  :wink: Anything that only looks good with stilettos should be regarded with healthy skepticism.

yes, I know I'm being a faschionista  :oops:

Tommy Shanks

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2007, 02:17:19 PM »
Never seen it before - and she was posing in the altogether.

Rent the The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. You get this, gluttony, blood, and horror. A great flick all around.

Turning to summer clothes, I like, uuhhhh, shorts and a tee-shirt. From May 1 to October 31. Or shorts and a sweater or jacket when it gets a bit brisk.
We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods.

belva

• View Profile
summer clothing
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2007, 04:11:48 PM »
Quote from: brebis noire
Anything that only looks good with stilettos should be regarded with healthy skepticism.

yes, I know I'm being a faschionista  :oops:

sorry, brebis, but I for one love dressy pants or capris or jeans with high heels :wink:

Return To TAT