Author Topic: Commentary: Women's sports are never going to catch on  (Read 2704 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Commentary: Women's sports are never going to catch on
« on: May 18, 2007, 04:41:17 PM »
It's not that we're all male chauvinists when it comes to sports. I enjoy watching Serena Williams hit a tennis ball, and I pay attention to women's golf. I'll be rooting for Danica Patrick to win the Indianapolis 500.

Besides, the problem isn't just that men don't follow women's sports. Women don't watch, either, and that's the biggest reason the WNBA struggles, the WUSA folded and the LPGA barely registers on the sports marketplace.

The truth is, women would rather watch men play sports than watch their own gender -- and by a large margin.

A survey three years ago by New York-based Scarborough Research showed that three times as many women were loyal followers of the NBA than they were the WNBA; five times as many women were major league baseball fans than they were LPGA fans; and women watched the NFL more than anything else.

It's been 35 years since Title IX opened sports opportunities to women in college, which means two generations have taken advantage of increased scholarships. But while more women play sports, that doesn't automatically guarantee there will be audience to watch them.

That was part of the discussion a few weeks ago when a meeting of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights turned into a heated debate over the future of Title IX and whether women were all that interested in sports.

Interestingly the writer never explores the issues of bulk of funding being for boys sports and only in passing mentions the media treatment of womens sports and then doesn't even seem to get he's on to something

Yes, Saturday's a big day if you're a WNBA fan. The league opens its second decade with five games, including a game between Sacramento and Detroit that will be televised on ABC, and opening game crowds should be respectable.

They might even get a few highlights on ESPN if Arena Football doesn't hog them all.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/artic ... page=1&c=y
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

brebis noire

• View Profile
Commentary: Women's sports are never going to catch on
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
I think we can rest a case for interest in women's sports with five words: Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team (2002 especially.)

If TV networks were as completely awash in women's sports as they are in men's, then maybe we could talk from a basis of comparison. Till then: nope. I for one, love watching women's sports.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Commentary: Women's sports are never going to catch on
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »
 Saskatoon awarded Lingerie Football League franchise 

“We’re at no risk to lose money on this,” Ford said. “We’re going to make money no matter what.”  :mad2

Return To TAT