Author Topic: Fiddleheads: Who knew?  (Read 12755 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Fiddleheads: Who knew?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 09:47:31 AM »
Mmmm ... cucumber peels.   :mrgreen:

Lotsa fibre, y'know.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 11:59:02 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
I don't have the hibachi out and am unlikely to do that before I move

Skdadl is moving?  :shock:  I am so far behind the times I think I'm ahead!   :oops:

My ferns haven't poked through the ground yet.  Bloody cold here this a.m. so I don't expect to see them today.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 12:24:36 PM »
I could eat fiddleheads by the kilo. Season should start in NB soon.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »
Third attempt successful.

They need to be steamed for just a few minutes until very green and slightlly on the al dente side.  Serve the sauce (I use some sorta combination of butter, garlic, dijon, balsamic vinegar, etc.) on the side for dipping.

The water left in the steamer is really gross...intensely reddish brown.  Imagine what it does to one's innards when the fiddleheads are cooked in a manner (i.e. NOT steamed or boiled) where the toxins can't escape.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 08:29:56 PM »
eh.  k'in said dijon.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 09:16:43 PM »
:oops:

At least I ddn't say Hasselhoff... :FIRE:

deBeauxOs

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 11:38:37 PM »
:rotfl:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 06:40:27 AM »
I can haz some fiddlesticks tonight. They came a few days ago, so to keep them crispy (and also get out any of the grit) I put them in the fridge in a bowl of cold water, where they are looking very perky and green. I shall try your dipping sauce, k'in.

I made ginger-garlic baby bok choy yesterday, using this method. It is very good, although I think I still prefer spinach.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 09:49:41 PM »
Funny, last night I had a craving for sauteed garlic spinach and bok choy which, along with rapini, are my greens of choice. Rather than cook after a long day of gardening, the BF and I went to the Mandarin, a chain Chinese buffet place which I quite love. I always eat tons of the greens, plus a spicy eggplant dish they do, salt and pepper shrimp and, last night's bonus! lobster.

I can't be bothered with all that other stuff, the usual Chinese and salad bar fare, roast beef, dumplings, a full sushi selection, even pizza although most of it is quite good.

The BF is a carnivore so he is happy.

It's the perfect place for us, and you can't beat the price: $23 per person on weekends and holidays.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 04:17:59 PM »
Got some - first of the season.  Had to venture westward & scored some Ontario ones at Fiesta Farms on Christie, north of Bloor.  Guy there says we are one week away from Ontario Asparagus.

Fiddleheads looks good and fresh.  Will clean them real good & steam them & serve them with a garlic butter type sauce.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2011, 04:26:20 PM »
Wah - that used to be one of my stores -- farther than Loblaws but often with better produce, and right across from a good garden centre. Did you get any wee growing things, k'in?

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2011, 07:22:41 AM »
Had our first fiddleheads of the season last night for Mother's Day. Yummy!

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »
Had our first fiddleheads of the season last night for Mother's Day. Yummy!

They must be out in force there - a bud of mine in SJ, who is on facebook just announced that he had a major feast of clams and fiddleheads.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »
Jealous. I should order some shortly. I know of only one place I can get them locally and at $13/lb, it's no small deal to get them. But they are so tasty that I consider it a once/year treat..

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 05:55:41 PM »
Jealous. I should order some shortly. I know of only one place I can get them locally and at $13/lb, it's no small deal to get them. But they are so tasty that I consider it a once/year treat..

WOW - mike emails me that he thought the $5 a pound was outrageous.

"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT