Author Topic: Fiddleheads: Who knew?  (Read 12383 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Fiddleheads: Who knew?
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »
They grow in the wild here, but not in great enough quantity to make the effort worthwhile, although a few folks here have picked them on occasion.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
Wow kuri - $13 pound! 

Last year - here - they seemed to vary from $ 3.99/pound (local Danforth fruit market) to $ 9.99/pound way out of range yuppified dubious looking do-not-buy offerings.

Paid $ 5.99/pound at Fiesta Farms on Saturday.  We were on a search & secure mission, plus they were super fresh & yummy.  Today they were finally at the Big Carrot for $ 6.98.

Side-note to skdadl----the Fiesta Farms garden centre division was in full effect---two young guys were herding folks---and they were making the pilgrimage in large quantiities.  I just wasn't quite up for it yet---maybe it's all the recent rain & cold, but lots of people were keen.

Go figure---not that the "delayed" fiddlehead season has kicked in, frozen fddleheads are now available.  They look decent, all cleaned/trimmed up $3.50/box.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 01:49:14 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't think they're so common out here, so they're kind of a luxury item.

Although, k'in, I recall from my time in TO that produce was much cheaper there than it is out here. Longer growing season, more competition from local grocers, etc.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 07:28:02 AM »
remind me again, what is it about fiddleheads that can cause intense digestion?
Happened to me once c. 1994 and I'm never ever ever having them again.
They're actually quite common around here - I'm sure I saw someone picking them yesterday by the side of the road.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 08:36:55 AM »
I dunno, I have the same problem. The ferns that are fiddleheads when they emerge are toxic once unfurled; perhaps there is some toxin in the immature ferns and certain subjects are more sensitive to it. They are tasty, but I'm waiting for asparagus, which should be along just after.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
I paid $4.99 a pound. We get asparagus year round. I fry it mostly.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2011, 09:56:07 AM »
Year-round asparagus comes from afar - from Peru for much of the year, then edging up to Mexico. I try to eschew it, though I certainly won't claim to eat only local veg in wintertime.

I mean the real, local stuff, as much of a seasonal treat as fiddleheads are, though the season does last longer.

In Germany, Spargelzeit (Asparagus Time, or season) is a culinary event and a time menus move away from what can be overly heavy fare (for our modern lives) as is much cold-climate food as eaten by people doing hard physical work and not having central heating. Traditionally more white asparagus (which is blanched like stem celery by covering with earth) but now also the green kind.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »
Most ferns (all?) look sort of like fiddleheads when they first come up, but only fiddleheads are fiddleheads. I wonder whether ppl know what they're picking? They do have a v strong flavour though - can understand that some people might be sensitive to something in them.

I'm hoping the sexy butchers will have some and/or some local asparagus today or tomorrow. They have a very small produce section but most of it is local (not the lemons and limes, obviously). I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference to something as common as your basic yellow/white onion, but it sure does.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »
I've never been able to develop a taste for asparagus or mushrooms at all. The taste of asparagus really makes me recoil. There's a prickly vegetable I also can not eat, but I forget the name of it. I have to be careful around shellfish, because I'm highly allergic to some of it. I stick to bland tasting food mostly, because I've had a lot of stomach upset in my life.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 03:18:06 PM »
The ones that made me sick were bought at a grocery store. I wonder if there was something I did wrong in the preparation phase (i.e. I didn't prep them.) But then I can't eat cucumber skin either so maybe it was just an overdose of roughage.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2011, 04:29:06 PM »
I fear where the territory where this thread is about to drift ...  :popcorn
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2011, 04:52:50 PM »
I fear where the territory where this thread is about to drift ...  :popcorn

Send in the :drift_police

Return To TAT