Author Topic: travels near, far or in your head...  (Read 12003 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
travels near, far or in your head...
« on: May 29, 2006, 06:58:25 PM »
Just want to remind all breadandrosers that travels can be around the world, down the block or anywhere in between. This can include restaurants - chic ones, simple ones or church and charity suppers, and imagined, remembered or literary travels as well.  And simply encounters on the bus or on the road.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 09:27:33 AM »
I found this self-catering/rental apt on craigslist Rome, just dreaming Casina Cencelli - it is in a neighbourhood I know well, in the hills overlooking Trastevere, just up a hill and outside the old city (and is a "normal" neighbourhood, not particularly touristy, with food shops and cafés at normal prices...) Wrote to the owner, who was pleased to be able to communicate in Italian. Who knows, perhaps if I offer to clean up the English and do a French version, she might knock off a bit of the cost... next time I get to Rome. Have no idea when that would be.

This lantern in the park at the top of Gianicolo (Janiculum) hill was a gift from Italian emigrants to Argentina. I love the trees, and the relatively clean air up there.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »
The first link keeps timing out for me, lagatta -- don't know whether that's me or the link.

I would so love to go, but I have a prior commitment. I can't travel anywhere until I've fulfilled that promise, and I'm still not ready or able.

And then I have to find a local to take me to Morocco. For that, I will buy the gauzy skirts to wear while I'm strolling through the waves lapping at the beaches in the evenings ...  :wink:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:59:01 AM »
I went into the historique and found this possible alternative url:

http://cencelli.altervista.org/3.html

Yeah, Scotland to Rome would be terribly far overland and chunnel, and I don't want to encourage those cheapo inter-European flights, but they do exist.

I do have Moroccan friends here, who are journalists, so perhaps that is a possiblity. Very interesting and cultured people.
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 01:11:08 PM »
I would also love to travel in Morocco, or Tunisia, with individuals who are intimately acquainted with their history and culture.

ReWind.it

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 02:28:17 PM »
I'm a sucker for grottoes, architecture, tunnels, cliff dwelling, graveyards, ancient statues, civilizations.

There are two places I've always wanted to explore. Budapest. I'd like to stay long enough to easily understand both sides of the Danube, the charm of the old empires, classical architecture and it's hidden treasures. I want to run my hand down the outside of the oldest most baroque buildings, the castles, and following whatever labyrinths I find. From there to an ancient hotel that overlooks the Aegean sea, probably something Turkish.

Khmer Temples of Cambodia, Laos and northeast Thailand. Most especially I want to walk through the cliff top temples. Then back to the blue waters of the Aegean Sea.

Not sure if I can swing it in this lifetime.
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 03:59:28 PM »
That apartment you linked to is lovely lagatta.

I would love to take a trip just for fun (with no family, work or other obligations). Right now, a friend is working in Cambodia on a long-term project. Other friends have visited and had the time of their life. I would love to do the trip (and visit Vietnam as well). That daydream is especially appealing as we battle -40 weather with the wind chill.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 05:37:34 PM »
Yes, and the person who owns it seems very nice, not officious in the way Southern Europeans are (different from the way Northern Europeans are, or of course North Americans) with a tonne of bizarre rules THEY have imposed. You know exactly what I mean from your Spanish house stuff.

It is a pretty house. Unfortunately there isn't a balcony overlooking the garden (there does seem to be a tiny balcony on the street, but it might just be a band for some flowers), but I guess if it had that, it would be more expensive. It would also be more expensive in the historical centre, though I'd just as soon stay in the neighbourhood the apartment is located in; I am familiar with it, having spent over a month there in an even tinier flat - but with a HUGE terrasse - belonging to my alas late professor. It is not at all a neighbourhood overrun with either tourists or Romans on a night out, and it is an easy bus ride down the hill into the city centre - that bus line ends at Largo Argentina, famous for its Roman ruins and its cat sanctuary: http://www.romancats.com/

And there are lots of reasonably-priced supermarkets and food shops, and places to have a coffee.

The colours are practically Moorish, no?
Rosa Luxemburg

ReWind.it

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 05:45:38 PM »
The Colours are absolutely divine. And makes me wistful.
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 10:54:44 PM »
The colours are beautiful. Reminds me of this beautiful small town near Alicante, Spain where I stayed a few times. It's called Villajoyosa and it's much less touristy than lots of other beach towns in that area. Definitely has a strong Moorish feel.

http://www.spanish-fiestas.com/costa-bl ... joyosa.htm
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Re:
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 04:50:31 PM »
Quote from: ReWind.it
I'm a sucker for grottoes, architecture, tunnels, cliff dwelling, graveyards, ancient statues, civilizations.

There are two places I've always wanted to explore. Budapest. I'd like to stay long enough to easily understand both sides of the Danube, the charm of the old empires, classical architecture and it's hidden treasures. I want to run my hand down the outside of the oldest most baroque buildings, the castles, and following whatever labyrinths I find. From there to an ancient hotel that overlooks the Aegean sea, probably something Turkish.

Khmer Temples of Cambodia, Laos and northeast Thailand. Most especially I want to walk through the cliff top temples. Then back to the blue waters of the Aegean Sea.

Not sure if I can swing it in this lifetime.

I thoroughly love the little of Budapest that I was able to see.  I have about 1000 years of family history there, though of course it is difficult to trace postwar.  

I am hoping, and have been campaigning, for an extended cycling/train trip through Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic with the family sometime in the next 3 years.  Most likely bookended with family visiting in the village in Greece, of course.  There is something about olives from your own (or your father in law's own) tree...

Edited to add that the single best restaurant meal I have ever eaten, bar none, was in a small little place in Budapest (Buda).
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

deBeauxOs

Re: Re:
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 07:19:11 PM »
Quote from: arborman
... the single best restaurant meal I have ever eaten, bar none, was in a small little place in Budapest (Buda).
 :lol: But of course.  Their whole dairy industry (cream, butter, cheese, sour cream, more butter, more cream) is supported by the national cuisine.

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: travels near, far or in your head...
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 04:51:11 AM »
Well, Hungary is famous for its food. Good wine too. :eat

I have an old friend who has retired to his native Vienna after 30 years in Toronto. When I go there to visit him, I'll definitely take in Budapest as well. Too bad I don't have the time or €€€€ to get there now while I'm in Amsterdam, but I certainly can't complain about being here. I will opt for Vienna to study German because of the wonderful cafés and food from the old Empire: many of the most common dishes are of Hungarian origin.

As for food, we have had the pleasure of eating suppers catered by Surinamese and Filipinos + Indonesians. Dutch food is very bland but this city is of course extremely cosmopolitan.
Rosa Luxemburg

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 08:17:33 AM »
Sounds great, lagatta. I don't recall what I ate when I visited Amsterdam, which means I probably didn't make any spectacular choices. :|

Are you translating, lagatta? (You probably said here already in another thread what's bringing you to the Netherlands, but I think I missed it.)

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 09:45:25 AM »
Yes, I am translating, at a meeting on climate change (it is not really a public meeting, too preliminary) but very interesting.

Nothing spectacular at all about Dutch food - Calvinism and a cold climate don't really make for heights of gastronomy; moreover despite the early wealth of the Dutch commercial class, most people here lived in relative poverty until rather recently.

The most interesting food here is of course of the main former colony, Indonesia, formerly the Dutch East Indies ... But except for the good cheeses, nobody really comes here for the food. What is most exemplary here is the transport, whether the generalised use of bicycles by people of all ages and walks of life, or the many tram lines - there is also a bit of a subway - haven't figured out how they build it here - must be under the sea floor. The latter is being extended, but is of interest mostly for business centres in the outlying areas.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT