Author Topic: travels near, far or in your head...  (Read 11998 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: travels near, far or in your head...
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2009, 11:36:56 AM »
You would have to organize a group, it's true. We've done that in the past, though -- as long as you have three or four drivers in the group, you can get eight or so people wrangled into some quite splendid places for modest cost. Everyone assembles at nearest airport; a couple of cars get rented; and off y'all go.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2009, 12:38:40 PM »
I think I have an unusually large percentage of (gainfully employed) friends without cars, and a lot of them don't have driving licences. There are some drivers though.

Of course some places will be close to a railway station, and whether it is convenient to get round on a bicycle depends on how hilly the terrain vs how fit they cyclist.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2009, 12:54:56 PM »
It is one of the unfairnesses of life that many of the loveliest places on earth are inaccessible to anyone who doesn't have a car -- or at least, who isn't willing to look around for the nearest donkey cart, and travel the way people did a couple of centuries ago, to these places that have been there for ages, long before the advent of teh motorcar.

It isn't fair, and I'm not good at arranging these things m'self. In the past, I was lucky to be able to depend on people who were good at it, but two of the leaders of that group are dead now, and the third is coming up on 92, so.

But it's worth thinking about, for anyone who thinks she can get a group of like-minded people to suffer one another for a week or two. I once got to stay in Gavin Maxwell's family home, a historic Scottish tower house in Galloway, because eight of us decided we could put up with each other for a while, and I will never forget how magical that was.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2009, 01:06:29 PM »
It helps if some logistical considerations are sorted out before the actual trip and people find themselves trapped with people they used to like but are learning to despise because of something that one person finds trivial and someone else does not.

For example, if there were no showers and one individual persisted in not cleaning up the tub after bathing, there might be some who would be angry at such manque de savoir-vivre. *  So, a jovial group meeting beforehand to ensure that everybody gives and takes with consideration for others and a minimum of fussing once arrived at destination is wise.

* I've heard of this from an acquaintance.  I've been quite fortunate m'self, with regards to group adventures.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2009, 06:12:14 PM »
I don't travel well with people, beyond one or two.  Actually, it is more that people don't travel well with me ;)
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2009, 06:23:30 PM »
Travelling with anyone is a true test of ... well, I dunno. We've had friends we travelled with that we came close to throttling during the travels, and yet have remained friends with under other circs. A different friend once said to me that people become "more themselves" when they are travelling, and I think that's true. Even when you're having fun, there's a pressure to travel.

I absolutely and utterly loved travelling with T, from the very beginning. We coped with the stresses very differently (me anxious, him jokey), but it worked perfectly. I always felt, as we took off anywhere, that we were two little kids running away together. I would have gone anywhere with him, and so I did.

vmichel

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2009, 10:27:21 PM »
Backpacking with my husband convinced me to marry him. (Long before he actually proposed.) I do not travel well with others, and so I was thrilled and amazed to get on well with him through a difficult back country camping trip. I figured that we could do pretty well together in life, after that.

That's your sappy romantic comment for the evening. Skdadl inspired me.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2009, 10:38:13 PM »
Indeed, R and I both saw our 10 week backpack through Belize/Guatemala/Honduras as an acid test (though neither of us told the other at the time).  

Our new test involved walking the fine and precarious line of teaching R to sail without being too bossy or otherwise creating friction.  So far so good.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2009, 11:39:53 PM »
Quote from: vmichel
Backpacking with my husband convinced me to marry him. (Long before he actually proposed.) I do not travel well with others, and so I was thrilled and amazed to get on well with him through a difficult back country camping trip. I figured that we could do pretty well together in life, after that.

Relationship as travel is a metaphor deliciously explored in film.  I'm thinking of Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney in Two for the Road.  As their marriage went, so did their travel.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2009, 07:10:50 AM »
One of the great movies -- I have the VHS, and I've watched it over and over again.

It also has one of the best Mancini scores ever.

There's an odd moment early in the movie, when Hepburn, then in her late thirties, I think, has looked believable for a while as a twentysomething, but is suddenly being photographed close to a very young Jacqueline Bisset, and you're jolted out of the illusion that Hepburn is that young. It's just a brief jolt, but it strikes me every time.

ETA: To be fair, Albert Finney was no spring chicken when they made that movie, and he looks even less comfortable pretending to be a kid in those scenes. Something about that belly ...

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2011, 07:58:57 PM »
I'm crazy about Catherine Li!
The tale, in short, describes the seven-month, 3,000-mile journey of a young woman walking alone across the country for no particular reason other than to welcome the unknown.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44633241/ns/local_news-delaware_valley_pa_nj/

I wonder if she got the idea from http://imjustwalkin.com/

The entire idea thrills me to bits.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT