Author Topic: Comfort food  (Read 46086 times)

brebis noire

• View Profile
Comfort food
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 02:47:46 PM »
I made an amazing red pepper and squash soup on Saturday. Unfortunately, I seldom if ever use recipes (only for baking) so there shall never again be a soup like it.  :(
I used real chicken broth and added some miso at the end of the soup cooking. Other than that, there were the peppers and squash. I can't remember if I used onion, though it's very possible. Garlic: don't remember either.
Ah yes, there were also some tomato leftovers from a big batch I cooked for peeling and boiling down and eventual freezing.
Youse people who can follow recipes:  :annoyed:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Comfort food
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 02:49:05 PM »
Youse people who can make 'em up!   :annoyed:

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Comfort food
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
Ah, the recipe/freestyle debate that has been a recurring theme in the 10 years of my marriage.

I am, with a few well practiced exceptions, a recipe follower.  Arborwoman is decidedly a winger-of-it, with random substitutions and approximations.

And some things can not be approximated, thus I am the better pie maker.  That said she can cook circles around me for the most part.

I will say that the discovery and use of recipes dramatically increased my apparent attractiveness to the opposite sex in my 20s.  If only someone had told me earlier that the three major secrets to impressing women were to:

1.  Talk to her
2.  Have something to talk about
3.  Know how to read and follow a recipe, and not the recipe on the side of the macaroni box.  Also prep in advance ;)
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Comfort food
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 04:59:05 PM »
I enjoy playing around with recipes, sometimes for years, until I feel confident enough to start riffing.  But where's the fun if you can't just wing it occasionally?

We kind of enjoy those times when we notice that we didn't buy food for Sunday, for example, and have to try to figure out what to make out of what we've got.  A few leftover mushrooms?  Two potatoes?  The contents of the now-mostly-empty garden?  Some coffee cream?  Sounds like totally made-up gnocchi with a mushroom/cream/tomato/sage sauce!  We find that we make things we wouldn't otherwise, and sometimes these things make it into regular rotation (or become jump-off points for even more recipes later).
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

k'in

• View Profile
Comfort food
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 06:20:09 PM »
Quote from: Herr Magoo
some juniper berries

Sheltered life and all, but I never knew juniper berries were edible.  Have a juniper tree out back that was pretty much dead when we first met but managed to nurture it back to life.  Purty tree and berries.  Ya learn something new every day.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Comfort food
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »
I had roasted beef, mashed potatoes, carrots, and onion for supper. The taters and carrots were from my garden, and were delicious. HP sauce on the side, of course. :pout:

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Comfort food
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 07:11:04 PM »
They're the chief flavour in gin.  Without them, gin would be bad vodka.  They're also nice on the coals in the smoker (they give off a very aromatic smoke).  I don't know if the ones on your tree are edible (though I don't see why not).  Mine are from House of Spice.

ed'd to add:  When I say "some juniper berries", in this case I mean 5 of them, heated in a skillet until they turn glossy (along with some peppercorns and one allspice berry) and ground up... NOT a couple of cups of fresh ones like they were blueberries.  :)
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

k'in

• View Profile
Comfort food
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 07:19:03 PM »
Well that explains everything. :wink: Had a one-time run in with lemon gin when I was a teenager  :oops:  and ever since, the mere mention of the word "gin" :yuk As for vodka, anything vodka can do, tequila can do better! :)

I looove House of Spice - I think of it as a culinary accessory museum...

Comfort food
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 07:30:51 PM »
You're a tequila woman.  :panic

deBeauxOs

Comfort food
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 08:01:11 PM »
I've heard that tequila can be a great comfort to some people ...  :P

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Comfort food
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 08:18:59 PM »
The only hard liquor I've ever truly loved was rum, dark rum. I respect single malt Scotch, but I luv dark rum. Why don't I have any?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Comfort food
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 08:30:01 PM »
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Comfort food
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 08:45:27 PM »
:rotfl:

k'in

• View Profile
Comfort food
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 09:05:16 PM »
:bigeyes: Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum, miceys! :arr!:

Croghan27

• View Profile
Comfort food
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 05:24:44 AM »
In croghan27's continuing quest to be just like Long John Sliver when he grows up he has been a rum imbiber for many years now, considering that the darker it is - the better. Even down to demerara rum (dirty demi, in some circles) that is sometimes so primative there is still grit in the bottle.  :D  

crogh's brother, a sailor just back from a California - Japan route, turned up with a jug of rum home one time (oh - about 1961 or so). Our father was a non-drinker. (Only once did I see him have a beer, then he picked it up, looking at it like a fine wine and said: "Harumph - rotten grain." - if you know what ferminataion is, that is a very precise description of beer. )

Dad explained that when Nelson was killed at Trafalgar, to preserve the body for burial, his body was put into a cask of rum. Upon arrival Nelson was about to be unpacked when it was found that Nelson remained, but the rum was conspicious in its' absence.

The resiliant jack-tar of the Royal Navy, unwilling to see good rum go to waste, has tapped into the cask and consumed the contents (sans Nelson). Presumably his blood was part of the mixture, so rum picked up the tag of: 'Nelson's blood'.

A term I have only heard used, and then sparely, in the Maritimes.  :penguin1
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT