Author Topic: Flowers!  (Read 21622 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 08:40:13 AM »
I guess this is the new gardening thread. :garden  I also put in some Jacob's Ladder yesterday - I hope they grow. I made a new garden in addition to the four I already have, because I've got more seeds than garden space. So that's five gardens, including one very large veggie space. I have a new small hilly garden that I've planted with a wild local shrub, catnip, and hyssop, and to which I will probably add some hostas for more greenery. The hostas are in my basement, and have been growing well - now about 14 inches tall, ready to be planted outside when it warms up - maybe Wednesday this week. I need to get the strawberry plants outside - they're getting tangled up downstairs - but it's not warm enough. Wednesday, however, brings in what I hope will be summer weather - supposed to be a high of 16C and overnight low of 9C, which should be okay for all the remaining plants I have inside. I planted 45 tomatoes, but only 32 have sprouted above the soil. Still, 32 tomato plants is plenty!  :lol:  I'm planting about 24 watermelon seeds, and 12 pumpkin seeds this morning - if they grow, the watermelons should be ready by the first week of September, the pumpkins by the first week of October or shortly after. This is all an experiement, to show me what will grow, and what will not - it's my first garden on the Lower North Shore. I'll keep track of everything, and order next year's seeds according to my results. I hope for a good yield of everything, but one never knows. Hope springs eternal, and all that jazz. :D

deBeauxOs

Flowers!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 02:44:17 PM »
I sure hope those are alpine strawberries ... adapted for cooler climes, and bearing fruit in late summer?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 06:08:39 PM »
Mine came from Nove Scotia - as plants that were about 6 inches high. If we don't get warmer weather soon, they will be a lost cause.

lagatta

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 09:04:19 PM »
I'm looking at the Lee Valley kneeling bench - yes, I know, terminal geezer, but I'd been suffering terribly from arthritis, and want that not only for gardening but also for scrubbing baseboards and other close-to-the-ground tasks.

As for raised beds, I don't think my b+r friends realise how small a Montréal "front yard" is - sort of like a large dining-room table. There is no room for such thngs. Already the pile of earth is far too raised. We have to organise another corvée to get rid of the excess! I've carted some upstairs but it doesn't even make a dint in the excess.

When I lived on avenue Casgrain, just north of the Jean-Talon market, many Italian and Portuguese famblies had wee vegetable patches in lieu of front lawns (these were barely kitchen-table sized). There was more sun in the front.  We are doing decorative perennials though - I'm not the person who chose l'aménagement.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 01:28:48 PM »
Two of us spent three hours putting up the new greenhouse in the rain - and we're only half done. The instructions said it could go up in two or three hours - ha, fat chance. It's a very difficult assembly.

So, we tied it down to protect it from the wind, and will try to finish it when the weather is better.

As for me, I'm beat. Three hours is about my physical work limit before I'm totally wiped and out of breath, so I'm heading  for bed for an hour or so.

Wish the weather would improve - nothing but wind, rain, and cold weather since about the first week of May  :(

At least I have seven gardens all planted and just have to wait for them all to take root and grow  :)

Caissa

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 02:48:48 PM »
I hate flowers. :D  I had two roomamtes who are now married. When ever sheet hinted she would like a bouquet of flowers he would say " Oh, you would like some dead plant genatalia would you?"

brebis noire

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 02:58:22 PM »
" Oh, you would like some dead plant genatalia would you?"

For sure, I definitely prefer them alive.  :)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Flowers!
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 02:59:01 PM »
Sounds like a charmer.   :roll:

Sorry, Caissa. People are, of course, entitled to their preferences, and I know a lot of people who sort of disapprove of cut flowers (although some flowers have no better purpose and in fact thrive on being harvested). So that's ok.

It's the overgeneralizing smart-mouthedness I'd react to. On any subject.

deBeauxOs

Flowers!
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 03:46:54 PM »
Flowers have their purpose.  They attract bees and thus ensure pollination.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 03:48:06 PM »
Oh BB I love Chinese Lanterns, I'm sure they will do well and will look great in a fall arrangement.

At one time I grew a cut flower garden just for the purpose of always having flowers in my house. Not no more of course. Altho I did plant glads for that purpose. Och I didn't even get one tomato plant in, could still of course, but am not gonna bother, that would entail buying soil etc., so will see how glads/lillies/coneflowers/nasturtiums/nicotina/snaps do in the soil already there. That's it, I'm done.

BB, I sure hope your getting better weather, I'd hate to see anything in your basement go to waste.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 04:11:34 PM »
Well, like I said once earlier, I'm experimenting to see what does grow, and what does not. I'm also growing hyssop and Jacop's Ladder as well as Chinese Lanterns and hostas - all plants no one has tried out here. Nothing will grow if we don't get some sun - and fast. Fortunately, Monday is supposed to warm up - to 21C - which will help, but, still, no direct sunlight. I'm not too optimistic now about this experiment. :(   On the other hand, the sunflowers, carrots, onions, turnips, cabbage, and lettuce have all proven to grow reasonably well, so I will have a good crop. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the tomatoes, bell peppers, watermelon (three varieties), pumpkin, mint, catnip, and basil. I can't plant the cucumbers until the greenhouse is finished - hopefully this weekend.

ETA: Just checked the tomatoes - I'm back to 42 plants again. However, the strawberry plants in the basement look dead. Maybe they will revive if the sun makes an extended appearance.

(what do I do with all those tomatoes if they all grow?)

lagatta

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 06:27:11 PM »
Yeah, I got the "genitalia" bit from an abusive relative... Twisted indeed.

I think genitalia can be rather fetching, no?

(Though I REALLY don't want the cut/uncut debate we had back in the bad old days of babble again)...

I've just bought some red geraniums (the blue-red, for a change - think the two tones together will be nice) and am seeking flowers that need less sun, as our Norway Maple creates very dense shade on my balcony (thank the cat-goddess!)
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 06:39:35 PM »
Just saw something really weird - I have a bag of Jersey Giant Asparagus roots in the basement which I've kept wet, and two stems are about three feet high! Holy cow. How big do these eventually get?  :?

deBeauxOs

Flowers!
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 10:18:35 PM »
Boom Boom ... are you sure that those are really Asparagus -  "Jersey"  sounds fishy doncha think - and not Triffids?  :shock:

Croghan27

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2007, 01:13:16 AM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs
Boom Boom ... are you sure that those are really Asparagus -  "Jersey"  sounds fishy doncha think - and not Triffids?  :shock:

Terrific deBeauxOs ...... I have not thought of them, or John Wyndham for years, I used to be a big fan of his  ...... he also did the Midwich Cuckoos .... that was made into the very maudlin Village of the Damned. (that has been made a couple of times, and they will keep do'in it until they get it right!)
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT