Author Topic: Flowers!  (Read 21943 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2007, 06:28:44 PM »
I'm trying to get back into the rythmn of gardening again, but the humidity and blackflies are both quite oppressive today. I managed to dig up some dandelions and cut a little grass, but then I had to back inside and head for the shower. The entire community is drowning in a sea of dandelions. :(

Toedancer

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2007, 06:46:59 PM »
Well to stay on the Wyndham theme, boom boom deadhead the dandelions at least, then they can't spread their seed!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

kuri

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 08:23:56 PM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
The entire community is drowning in a sea of dandelions. :(

Welcome to my world, Boom Boom....

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 09:31:34 PM »
There's a few homes that will be vacant most of the summer, and no one looking after mowing the grass or dandelions. Really looks awful. I might cut the grass and dandelions next door because it really is awful to look at.

kuri

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2007, 10:42:01 PM »
Mowing doesn't stop them, BB. Nothing stops them.

anne cameron

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2007, 01:20:18 PM »
SALAD!!!!  dandelion leaves are excellent in salads.  They can also be cooked like spinach or chard...what you need Boom Boom is a potbellied pig.  Smarter than a dog and you're allergic to dogs, right?  Easier to house train than a cat.  And a potbellied pig would happily go around eating the flowers and centers out of dandelions...mind you, where you live the poor little porker would need a sweater in the wintertime, but the secondhand store would have some for very cheap...and think of the good fertlizer for the greenhouse you're going to build...and she'd go for a walk with you..but you have to get a male "fixed" early on or they stink like you'd hardly believe..and a female , well, I have to tell you, if she isn't spayed she'll go on the hunt every three weeks...downside to everything, I guess..but a sure fire remedy for dandelions.  I get entire bouquets of them from the little grrrrrrrrrrrls.  They actually look very nice floating in water in a dark green glass bowl...

kuri

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2007, 01:27:40 PM »
I like the young dandelion leaves in salad, mixed with other greens. Boiling the larger leaves didn't work so well though - the bitterness remained even after boiling, and even through the soy sauce and sesame oil I used to dress of the boiled leaves.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2007, 01:56:10 PM »
In my commune days (1970s) I discovered that all parts of the dandelion are toxic for me. I have very extreme spring, summer, and fall allergies, as well, but, surprisingly, not here on the Quebec coast. I can't live in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, or the Niagara fruit belt (especially St. Catharines) because of my allergies. :(

anne cameron

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2007, 02:12:01 PM »
Alla more reason to get yourself a little swine...mine did a great job wiping out dandelions.  A friend , who lived down the road, used to invite Ruarhaigh and I over for lunch...so he could get rid of her dandelions...

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Flowers!
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2007, 06:11:17 PM »
Quote from: anne cameron
Ruarhaigh

Och, and it's guid to see the Gaelic on BnR.  :D

k'in

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2007, 06:39:28 PM »
Killing thyme for the second year in a row, although I have a potted one chugging along.  Maybe something in the soil, so next year I'll try crop rotation.  The other herbs in that planter are thriving.  Pea patch disappeared.  Looked encouraging, then I noticed something was chewing on the leaves.  Now there is just vine so I hope the little insect that chowed down got her fill of chorophyll.  No lilac flowers again, but it is a lovely green shrub.  Roses in bloom. Blackberries and raspberries shaping up to be spectacular.  Nary a dandelion in sight.  Hang in their Boom Boom and kuri - you can emerge victorious but it takes time.

anne cameron

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2007, 07:16:13 PM »
Had ye but met him, my wee hen, ye'd hae luvved the wee porker no end.  

You never saw such a scattering of pamphlets as when Ruarhaigh charged the ones in tan raincoats and those little bizarre hats who come at inconvenient times to peddle salvation door to door.

I think they were used to dogs, but not to a nearly 300 pound boar with tusks.

Put me in mind of when grandfeyther would get well oiled and would stand in the middle of the living room (swaying, of course) and do his version of the Highland Fling while singing (roaring)

Some had their boots and stockin's,
Some had nane at a'
Some had but their big bare airses
Chargin through McCallums' draw...

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Flowers!
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2007, 07:32:46 PM »
Here's tae Rory! I mean Ruarhaigh.

Boy. There's a people who really knew how to spell, yes?  :D

anne cameron

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2007, 07:43:09 PM »
I am (again) reading Barry Fell "America BC" and "Bronze Age America", with pages of Ogham and "translations" of same...and , again, shaking my head every now and again because while he does try, and he is refreshing, Fell is still sadly Eurocentric and at times comes perilously close to suggesting Celtic wayfarers "taught" North Americans navigation and mathematics and ... as if a few furryassed travellers would have had that much influence...

But spelling, ah yes, why use a few letters if you can use a dozen.

k'in

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2007, 08:20:35 PM »
I saw a show on Animal Planet a few years back where a woman was concerned that her beloved pot bellied pig was not taking kindly to her new beau.  The thought was that the reason he was given to charging the new guy was out of jealously, so an animal behaviourist was brought in.  Nope, in the end the new guy was a loser and the pig had clued in to this more quickly than his human companion.  Pigs are smart, and there's not much cuter than a bunch of wee piglets running about.

Return To TAT