Author Topic: Flowers!  (Read 21619 times)

anne cameron

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »
Last year I inquired , here I think, about a very striking yellow "weed" and Gorgeous Bones suggested it might be goldenrod.  I took a stalk of it once it had started to wilt and die back and put it in the vacant lot next to my yard.  I have a clump of what I'm calling "wotzit" there this year.  I really don't care if it's a "weed", it's lovely.  Many people think evening primrose is a "weed" but I like it, and I never haul it out.  I am also very partial to brume but I had to go out with the big nippers this year and clear it out or we'd never have been able to get near the vacant side yard, I'm weed tolerant but not when it starts to crowd out all the berry bushes.

Croghan27

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2007, 02:48:22 PM »
The unrepentant old biker that serves as the janitor here is now no end of pissed off. He asked the owner for some money to make the place look prettier - some paint, some flowers , flower boxes, etc.(He does keep good care of the single tile sized lawnette we have.)

They said "NO, there is no money in pretty - fix the back room so we can rent it." He has been working on it - but they are so niggardly with supplies he is usually stymied. He gave them options of where their immortal souls were going when they said that.

Who was it that ran the Toronto Maple Leafs into the ground because he sold out the seating, no matter what product he offered?
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

deBeauxOs

Flowers!
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2007, 01:48:20 PM »
In September I pruned my rosemary bush  (mmm, is it just me or does that sound prurient?  :oops: ).  Anyhoo, since the weather was still hot back then, I left it outside and gave it a little bit of fertilizer.  Then, two weeks ago, as the night temperatures were dropping and I didn't want to risk a frost, I brought the rosemary inside and set it in a sunny window.  Now the darn thing is flowering - tiny white blooms, no discernible fragrance of their own.  It is quite lovely to see, though.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Flowers!
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2007, 06:53:45 AM »
Ooh, you lucky duck. I have never seen a rosemary plant do that. I have seen people clip very large rosemary plants into a cone shape for the winter, so that they look like (and may even substitute for) a Christmas tree.

suzette

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2007, 07:43:16 AM »
Hmmmm! Rosemary Christmas tree.  Now that's a great idea!  I'm always on the hunt for an alternative Christmas tree; we don't get decent real ones here.  I love it!

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2007, 07:58:25 AM »
Well, compared to a real Christmas tree, they are small, but compared to most rosemary plants, they are large. If you see what I mean.   :)

ETA: Suzette, you can do the same thing with a very dense asparagus fern. I have done that, although mine has finally given up the ghost, after a run of about twenty-five years, no kidding.

lagatta

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2007, 08:40:57 AM »
In the south of France, and central Italy, rosemary grows into quite large, fragrant bushes.

Suzette, can it do that where you live or is it too hot and dry?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

suzette

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2007, 06:29:05 AM »
It grows quite well here, but I've not seen it grow particularly large.  By that I mean I've seen it grow a couple of feet tall or so.  It may grow bigger, but I've just not seen it.  In Canberra, however, I've seen great hedges of it.  (I loved that, actually.   Quite a lovely surprise to find a domestic herb being grown in that way in public spaces. ) Canberra has more of a Mediterranean climate than here though; better suited to rosemary I think.

justme

• View Profile
Flowers!
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2007, 11:02:26 AM »
I have a Rosemary that I have been bringing inside in the winter and puting in the garden (pot and all) in the summer.  It's 6 years old now, and too big to bring inside . . . I have it in a half-barrel outside, and I'm going to wrap it in burlap and hope it makes it through the winter.  I have a 3 year old rosemary that is still managable to move, so all is not lost if the momma doesn't make it.  I have 2 new babies rooted and living inside - I will love them until next winter, when they will find new homes as xmas presents. 8)   Momma has been flowering for a number of years, and my 3 year old flowered for the first time this summer.  Momma is about 3 feet tall.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Flowers!
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2008, 01:39:48 PM »
I just did a other people's garden snoop. Well first of all because the City lady over the idiot neighbours refusal to pick up their dog poop, called to say, I'm here, you might want to go out for a bit, ha!

Anyways, lots of tulips, daffodils now have popped up out of the ground. That sprinkling of snow is gone and people are raking to put in grass seed. I'm now going to go out again to look at the formal gardens at the park, to see what's up.  :wink:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

justme

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2008, 01:45:24 PM »
sigh . . . I have one daffodil starting to poke up, can see about 2 cm of green.

I think we will miss spring this year  :cry:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2008, 02:19:45 PM »
28 March, and I have still not seen a snowdrop. This is v. bad.

I don't know how all you other guys are seeing sprouty things. Around here, the shubbling produced so much piled-up snow that most of us are still fully covered, especially if we are north-facing.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2008, 02:42:45 PM »
I still haven't gotten out of here to look at the ground for signs of life. Phone rang, listening, listening. Can ya tell  :wink:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

pale

• View Profile
    • A Creative Revolution
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2008, 05:30:34 PM »
heh. Daffs and the primroses are blooming. Witch hazel is LATE late this year.

Then wed night, it hailed and thundered. Yesterday it snowed. Today it snowed briefly. Not sticking, as it's not cold enough. Got some rain in there too, and some sun yesterday afternoon.

Frogs and locusts next.

After I hit send, I looked up from my screen.....(Im in front of a window...) Snow. Now are massive flakes. I have it on film. ACK.

Return To TAT