Author Topic: bicycle thread (sport, utilitarian, fun...)  (Read 34017 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
bicycle thread (sport, utilitarian, fun...)
« on: June 05, 2007, 06:38:30 PM »
We don't seem to have an all-purpose cycling thread. My rear wheel is toast - too many nids de poule and generally shitty roads. Now I have a rear wheel that is worth more than the entire rest of my bicycle - as there was nothing else worth getting. I do crave a similar front wheel (alloy, extremely light for a utilitarian bicycle - an old six-speed Raleigh - nice black bicycle though, women's frame which is important as I've been stiff from arthritis ... and I like to wear skirts in the summer anyway). I'll have to get at least a cable to discourage theft of the wheel...

I have to cycle as much as I can - avoiding anything but gentle slopes, and pacing myself - but it is very, very good for what ails me.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 10:23:26 PM »
Bike thread...great idea I'll sticky it.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 08:19:11 AM »
I want to cycle to work. I've started getting back into it, cycling to my pilates class and to short errands, but I can't get the nerve up to cycle to work yet and go down those fast hills again. I plan to try, but I also planned to do this after the city had removed the winter gravel from the roads and sidewalks - they still haven't! I think the danger of snow is over by now. But I feel very unstable biking on a layer of gravel over the concrete/pavement.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 09:06:02 AM »
You should complain, kuri. Last thing you want to do is have a nasty fall. Cycle where you feel safe.

Debra, do you have a bicycle?

I was at a community garage sale the other day - saw a nice fixer-upper for $10 (6-speed, "mixte" frame - those are those women's frames with two bars, popular in the late 1970s and early 1980s I think - many are still in use as they were a good design). But you need a nice mechanic, who thinks old bicycles are worth saving. I'm lucky to have a great one around the corner - they remake bicycles from scratch - told me my frame is a very good one. Some cyclists here add (and disguise) good quality components to an old but good frame as there is no point whatsoever in using a high-end new bicycle in Montréal unless you have guarded parking where you work (Hydro-Québec has that, and I've taught engineers who cycle there from the South Shore every day - a long ride so they need decent bicycles) or have two bicycles, one to train, one to schlepp around.

People who are serious about going over our so-called "mountain" and up Côte-des-Neiges for example also need a decent bicycle. I avoid that because I don't think my knees will ever be up to it again...

It is possible - and good exercise - to zig-zag up Mont-Royal on paths accomodating cyclists and pedestrians for that purpose.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 09:28:13 AM »
No I still don't have a bike. Someone did give a very old ten speed but it's a 26in and my short legs just can't deal with that.

So I'm hoping maybe over the summer to come across something that will work.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 09:43:54 AM »
The bike I saw would have fit you, I think. 26-inch is just the size of the wheels - I don't know much about frame sizes but I've definitely had 26 and 27-inch bicycles that fit me fine. You'll probably be happier with a "women's" frame - I certainly am - than having to swing your short legs over the high bar.

Some "mountain" type bikes also have smaller wheels, but often the top bar is too long for us shorties and the riding position not always comfy. If not, an old 24-incher is pretty much designed for children (I've definitely had one of those, as an adult, and liked it very much - it was stolen).

Do you have a shopping news, or a craigslist etc in your area?
Rosa Luxemburg

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 10:07:31 AM »
not here specifically the closest seems to be Peterborough. This is nice

http://peterborough.craigslist.org/bik/337776852.html

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:22:40 AM »
That does look nice - do you have a friend or family member who knows something about bicycles to make sure it is in decent shape? It is certainly worth phoning or writing to the craigslist person.

Make sure you can adjust the handlebars and seat to fit you properly. I'd definitely buy a rack for the back (you can get that at a Canadian Tire or bike shop) to go shopping.

Craigslist is a good resource as people don't have to pay to use it so they'll advertise cheap bicycles etc.
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 11:01:01 AM »
DIY bicycle trailers

Would people feel safe driving one of those in big-city traffic?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 11:05:50 AM »
I don't know about big city traffic, but a number of people have similar things here.

Or they attach one of those plastic storage bins to the rack on the back of their bike. and a couple of people have baby trailers.

http://www.theped.com/bikes/superdoodlebug_blue.jpg

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 11:09:31 AM »
Quote from: Debra
No I still don't have a bike. Someone did give a very old ten speed but it's a 26in and my short legs just can't deal with that.

So I'm hoping maybe over the summer to come across something that will work.

Debra, its frame size you need to look at not wheel size.  i'm 5'6ish and my old ritchie MB has an 18" frame which is about as small as they come.  As lagatta says, step through frames make it easier on us shorties and some mountain bikes have top tubes that slope down and back and join the seat tube much lower than conventional frames.  do the police services in the area have auctions of stolen/found bikes?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 11:11:43 AM »
I know people who have made them and we had one at radical cyclists' group Le Monde à bicyclette.

Me, it isn't so much a matter of safety as not feeling strong enough to carry that behind me any more with a lot of heavy stuff. I bought a small wire shopping cart (you know, the upright kind) and carried that home on my bicycle rack - in the past I've carried small tables, laundry hampers, all kinds of things - but I fear I'd take a taxi nowadays...

If you look at pics of people in the Global South, it is utterly AMAZING what one can carry on a bicycle! http://www.cyclonordsud.org/ (site viewable in French, English or Spanish).

Channelling veteran vélorutionnaire Luke, by the way... :bike
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 11:19:58 AM »
Quote from: lagatta
I know people who have made them and we had one at radical cyclists' group Le Monde à bicyclette.

"...radical cyclists' group"  Sorry, this made me laugh. :lol:  :oops:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 12:00:14 PM »
I don't mind if Le Monde à bicyclette made you laugh because we always had rather wild and sometimes funny tactics, such as disguising a bicycle as various things to protest the fact that bicycles could not be taken on the métro (outside rush hours, of course) while other bulky goods could be transported during quiet periods, and Robert "Bicycle Bob" Silverman disguised as Moses, symbolically parting the waters of the St-Laurent to protest the fact that cyclists had no way of crossing the river to the South Shore.

And we won both points, as well as an important network of cycle paths (not psychopaths) and made progress in mentalities as well.

We did more serious things like "die-ins" protesting the CARnage which our AUTOcracy just took for granted. Here is an article about the 30th anniversary Die-In organised by a new group, Vélorution, a younger generation taking up the velorutionary cause.

I attended both die-ins.
Rosa Luxemburg

alisea

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/windsea/
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 12:38:48 PM »
Hey, Lagatta, my husband belonged to Le monde a bicyclette from 79 - 82, when we lived in Montreal. I wonder if you and he died together  :lol:  :lol:
Do not meddle with the Forces of Nature, for you are small, insignificant, and biodegradable.

Return To TAT