Author Topic: bicycle thread (sport, utilitarian, fun...)  (Read 34014 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
bicycle thread (sport, utilitarian, fun...)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 12:53:11 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
...I don't mind if Le Monde à bicyclette made you laugh

It made me think of the radical bicycle club in one of the Don Camillo stories from the early 1950's - led by the daughter of one the Communists that the priest Don Camillo was always on the guard against. And, generally, bicycle clubs in Ontario that I remember were usually an enclave of upper class folks and their expensive multi-speed bikes.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 01:11:43 PM »
We were far closer to the radical cyclists around the communist mayor Peppone's wife (think it was his wife, not his daughter - didn't he only have sons?).. than to the upper-crust Waspy sporting cycling clubs - and none of us had expensive bicycles - we viewed the bicycle as something utilitarian and a way of fighting the domination of the car.

Giovannini Guareschi was a right-winger, and probably a fascist - he was among the signatories of the infamous "Manifesto della razza" (the basis for the anti-semitic "Racial Laws" enacted by the Regime - you know, protecting the Aryan purity of those tall, blond, pink-skinned Italians with their little turned-up Aryan noses (a pic of Guareschi reveals he bore no relation to the vaunted Aryan ideal, but once one has descended to "racial laws"...  :roll: That doesn't go against either the humour of his stories of the Communist-Catholic villagers of the Po valley (prosperous farmers who were "Communist" due to antifascism and old farmers' cooperative movements) but contributes to the absurdity he found in the communistic-leaning "associative movement" that was so strong in Italy and remains strong despite the decline of the Party itself - many important social movements such as the Gay and Lesbian movements, several environmental movements etc spring from this humus.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 01:15:20 PM »
Well, I was thinking of someone's daughter, from GG's last book, Don Camillo meets the Hell's Angels (later published as "Don Camillo meets the Flower Children"). It's been probably 20 years since I read it so my memory of it isn't perfect.  :age:

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 01:19:05 PM »
Giovannino Guareschi: Early years

excerpt:

Born on May 1, 1908 in the Northern Italian village of Fontanelle di Roccabianca, Giovannino Guareschi was the son of a schoolteacher mother and an entrepreneur father. One has to smile at the fact that this child who would grow up to become such a well-known opponent of the Left should have made his debut on a May Day.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »
That is funny: the fact that Guareschi was among the signatories of the Manifesto della razza much less so.

If you remember the film "Life is Beautiful" it featured a hilarious satire of the Racial Laws. (The second part in the death camp was much less successful).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 03:35:26 PM »
That is funny: the fact that Guareschi was among the signatories of the Manifesto della razza much less so.

I'm curious as to how you were able to remember such an obscure fact. Is your patron saint "Jude the Obscure"?  :lol:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 08:09:36 PM »
No, we social historians get our jollies from obscure facts.

Imagine this, me in Amsterdam, whiling away "free" hours at the International Institute of Social History instead of smoking up at a "coffeeshop" as any sane person would do...
Rosa Luxemburg

Papal Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 11:11:20 PM »
At work we were talking about going on the Conquer Cancer bikeride. Alas, the 2500$ fundraiser minimum is painful and impossible. I hope to bring my bike from home sometime soon. I just need to do some touch up welding to the frame and get new wheels.
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

- Samuel Taylor Colerdige

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 03:38:54 AM »
Oh, Papal Bull, that is annoying - and something that annoys me a lot about so many of these campaigns against diseases - they really assume that people have access to wealthy sponsors, or à la rigueur to large workplaces with a lot of contributers.

Where does the Conquer Cancer bikeride go? Does that follow in the path of Terry Fox?
Rosa Luxemburg

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 08:50:23 AM »
$2500 minimum?  :shock: That's crazy!

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 06:44:21 PM »
Imagine this, me in Amsterdam, whiling away "free" hours at the International Institute of Social History instead of smoking up at a "coffeeshop" as any sane person would do...

I'd love to join you there, sometime. Fascinating stuff. 8)

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 08:51:24 PM »
My sister and her hubby just started their coast to coast cycling trip yesterday.  We all too their pictures with the back tires dipped in English Bay (Vancouver).  They are riding to St. Johns, and godspeed.

I am so envious.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 02:01:51 AM »
Are they on a group trip or doing on their own?

That trip is absolutely on the list of things to do, and it will have to be reasonably soon.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 06:28:15 AM »
I had a friend who rode all the way to the Pacific several years ago. I forget whether he actually did cross-Canada (that is, started off in the Maritimes - I know he didn't start from Newfoundland but perhaps from the Maritimes... quite a trip. He also cycled across a great deal of Russia, though back then (still Soviet days) it was not possible to cross they entire country due to security fears.

I know I'll never do that, but I hope I can improve my shape enough to do real rides such as Montréal to Québec again. That is a pretty ride, on the old road (le Chemin du Roy).

It is very, very hot, and I think I'll take off for a cycle ride soon, as soon as I can force myself to eat something as I shouldn't set off on just coffee in my stomach, and have a soon-to-be-superfluous shower. It will be very hot this afternoon.

On Saturday after the Palestine demonstration, I was thrilled to see the new intersection at avenue des Pins/avenue du Parc where there had been a horrific and dangerous "mini cloverleaf" - not only dangerous for motorists and especially cyclists and pedestrians, but also a popular lair for rapists and muggers attacking McGill students walking home after evening classes.
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 02:15:01 PM »
I got back from an exercise and shopping ride down to Old Montréal, the Old Port, Chinatown... It took me longer than I had planned and as a result was sweating coming back - I was wearing a gauzey cotton shirt over my sleeveless camisole top because I didn't want burnt shoulders... It was so sweaty when I arrived that I just threw it into a washing basin and put it to soak.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT