Author Topic: Of lesbian chickens and matriarchal bees ...  (Read 1994 times)

deBeauxOs

Of lesbian chickens and matriarchal bees ...
« on: June 11, 2007, 09:47:55 PM »
Sometimes I read the Georgia Straight online and sometimes other alternative West Coast publications.  This is a thoughful and amusing item, from Xtra.  
Why the world needs more lesbians ... We have a hen that thinks she's a rooster. She's a bit of a loner but holds her own in the pecking order. ... Sappho has some pretty big chicken feet to fill. First, she's gotta practice her crowing—and preferably off hours. Every morning this week, before sun up, she starts. I groan and bury my head beneath the pillow.

An unwanted image of this lesbian chicken interrupts my early morning dreams. In it, I see her rock back and forth, puff up her crop and then let out some gawd-awful racket. She sounds more like a goat being squeezed to death than an egg-proud hen.

As much as I respect her for scratching to her own tune, at four thirty in the morning, I just wanna throw an old boot at her. Then I think, changing gender expectations can't be easy—even for a chicken.

Read this too, by Ivan Coyote.  I've heard Ivan tell stories.  Very powerful.

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
Thank you, Gorgeous Bones.  I'd have missed that piece by Coyote if you hadn't linked to it.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:39:07 PM »
Isn't Coyote a terrific writer too, as well as a riveting story-teller?   8)

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 03:53:12 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed his writing.  He has a really finely honed way of sneaking up and hitting you with a few very well chosen words.  Usually in an unprotected area.

Again, thanks.  I love a good piece of writing.

deBeauxOs

Return To TAT