Author Topic: Domestic Violence and Power  (Read 15246 times)

kuri

• View Profile
Domestic Violence and Power
« on: June 12, 2007, 09:10:13 AM »
Via Feminist Philosophers, I discovered this this book excerpt today. Looks interesting (although I'm still in the process of reading):

In 1979, psychiatrist Alexandra Symonds, published an unusually candid article. When her profession dealt with families “where the main disturbance was violence against the wife or sweetheart,” she observed, they focused on how the women provoked their husbands, or how the women were getting satisfaction in some obscure way by being beaten. “The final proof of all this,” she wrote, “was invariably a learned statement such as ‘After all, why doesn’t she leave him?’”

... Because women have such ready access to rights and resources in liberal democratic societies, it is widely assumed that if abusive relationships endure, it is because women choose to stay, a decision that seems counterintuitive for a reasonable person.

... Underlying the question of why battered women stay are the beliefs that they have the opportunity to exit and that there is sufficient volitional space between abusive incidents to exercise decisional autonomy…these beliefs are demonstrably false in the millions of cases where abuse is unrelenting, volitional space closed, or decisional autonomy is significantly compromised. An equally controversial presumption implicit in the question is that exercising the option to leave will reduce a victim’s chance of being hurt or killed. In fact, around 80% of battered women in intact couples leave the abusive man at least once. These separations appear to decrease the frequency of abuse, but not the probability that it will recur. Indeed, the risk of severe or fatal injury increases with separation.

deBeauxOs

Re: Domestic Violence and Power
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
I wanted to post this in an appropriately-themed thread.  Check out Antonia's blog entry today.
Since last June, when I stopped covering media and switched to writing about social issues and cultural trends, almost not a day goes by when I don't see a story somewhere in one of the three papers I read everyday about a man who kills his partner. My clipping file is now almost four inches thick.

The carnage never ends. And, as I wrote last June after two murders, each case is treated as an isolated one.

Nobody connects the dots. The word "femicide" is never used – and indeed is not even recognized by my spell checker.

In the U.S., reports the FBI, men murder an average of three women – and often their children – every single day. That's down 25 per cent from the period 1976-1996, perhaps because there are more shelters. But fears are that as the personal bankruptcies increase and employment nosedives, the killing will increase.

Canada's record is also spattered with blood.
There's more, and it is powerfully written.

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 05:31:47 PM »
said Nugent, who like Cote, worked as an exotic dancer at a Brampton strip club.

Because she was a low life, worthless stripper right? No one would care?

And the 17yr old mentioned was obviously just immature and didnt know what the real world was like for relationships.
 :pukey:  :explode
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »
The mind boggles Bacchus.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:24:31 AM »
I was looking for a thread on the general topic of domestic violence and figured that this one was a good place to proceed, although at the moment this is mainly news and we don't know the whole story.

CBC, via the PAR-L list.

From the PAR-L message:

Here is the link to the latest news from CBC in Fredericton about the murder of a very
gentle man, a sociology professor named John McKendy, who taught at St. Thomas
University in Fredericton, and whom I knew as a colleague. He was found murdered in his
own home just outside Fredericton on Friday morning, and the person for whom a
first-degree murder arrest warrant had been issued has today been found dead in a car
in a parking lot in Moncton. That person is his son-in-law. The professor's daughter
was also injured and hospitalized, with non-life-threatening injuries. ... Comments posted to the CBC web site say the alleged killer, 27-year-old Nicholas Baker, was employed, and was a nice guy who gave no warning signs of emotional problems . . .. We will find out in the next days and weeks, no doubt, what the full, and very tragic, story is.

In my intro women's studies class at UNB this past week we were talking about family
violence, and we'll obviously be taking up the discussion with an even more seering
intensity this coming week again. Prof. McKendy studied social injustice and violence.
It is thus unbelievably poignant that he died this way, and his daughter was wounded.
...  It seems that our knowledge at this stage does not ultimately protect us or those we love.

I'm not sure how much of a PAR-L message I should ever publish, but I removed anything that looked like speculation, however informed.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 06:47:57 PM »
The suspect is dead. Found in a car in a hotel parking lot. Very scanty information, no foul play suspected. So how did this young man conceal his disturbances from his wife and in-laws? Very strange.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
The RCMP lied, then apologized

Earlier this week, an RCMP spokesperson said no members of the McKendy family had come forward with concerns about Baker prior to the professor's death.

On Thursday, the RCMP released a statement saying this was untrue -- and that a member of the McKendy family went to police on Oct. 27 with concerns about Baker.

"That person did raise concerns about the possible safety of one family member Mr. Baker was acquainted with," the statement said. "That information, although given to the investigator, was not immediately placed on the RCMP file into the investigation."

The RCMP said it "apologizes to the McKendy family for any perception the family did not bring forward concerns to police" and that the spokesperson who suggested otherwise "was unaware" of that information when he spoke to media.

The previous articles lead me to wonder how the man's mental disturbances weren't noticed, well obviously they were and reported to the rcmp. The RCMP needs a thorough updating on domestic violence, they're pathetic.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 09:55:19 AM »
Comments posted to the CBC web site say the alleged killer, 27-year-old Nicholas Baker, was employed, and was a nice guy who gave no warning signs of emotional problems . . ..

A friend of mine in NB, the same fellow that sent me the obit mentioned in another thread, who attended STU and still has extensive contacts with both the staff and students, says this SIL was well known in the area and to the community as being completely deranged and some outrageous act was expected from him at any time.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 04:50:51 PM »
Feministing :
California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger - making last minute cuts to the budget - eliminated all of the state funding for domestic violence shelters. That's right - all of it.

Audrey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 02:37:05 PM »
Domestic violence against women is a human rights abuse- Arnie is now helping perpetrate it.
Make revolution- love your body

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »
Is this where we discuss domestic violence incidents, including murder-suicides? If so, we can report that Ryan Jenkins, the accused murderer of his ex-wife Jasmine Fiore, has hanged himself.

Hmm in the Globe story one has to read down quite a way to find the murder victim's name... So many lurid details about her life. The usual dehumanising stuff about a not-entirely "respectable" :roll: woman. Fugitive murder suspect found dead
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 09:29:06 AM »
Queen Sabina wrote this powerful, raging post about Jasmine Fiore's death, and remembering Dorothy Stratten as some of the circumstances are similar.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »
Thanks for Queen Sabina's post, dBo. The reporting in this crime story has bothered me almost as much as the gruesome, sexist crime itself (this jerk obviously thought he had bought a plaything). Some years ago I wrote in to sleazy tabloid Le Journal de Montréal to complain about their dehumanising coverage when a young sex worker was murdered at her flat near where I live. Don't think they published my letter.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 10:22:18 AM »
They choose that type of coverage because it plays to their reader's gynophobia.  

'Bina in another post has a YouTube that the killer made of his ex-wife, one that seemingly zoomed in on her breasts most of the time.  Apparently the comments at that site are loathsome; many say outright that Fiore "deserved" to be killed.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 06:24:25 PM »
I feel sick to my stomach. I guess the *warning* to women in Belleville is now off. They found Jessica Lloyd's body this morning.

Col. Russell Williams accused of killing 2 women, sexually assaulting 2 others

He's married, the investigation is going back several years to see evry community he worked in and missing/dead women, cuz he may be a sociopathic serial killer.

eta - Nicholas said police linked the two slayings because of similarities in the cases. They do not expect to make any other arrests.

The similarities are that he blindfolds the women, ties them in chairs, rapes? sexually assaults, then kills.

eta#2 - I'm so sorry I'm so so shaken up by this. Umm the two sexual assaults seem to be unrelated to the 2 women who are dead, altho it has not been revealed if they were also sexually assaulted.

In addition to the murder charges, Williams faces counts of forcible confinement, breaking and entering, and sexual assault in relation to two home invasions in the Tweed area in September 2009.

Return To TAT