Author Topic: Domestic Violence and Power  (Read 15247 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Domestic Violence and Power
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 06:57:01 PM »
Toe, I was just about to start a new thread about these murders. This is ghastly. (I've been perusing the "Belleville Intelligencer" for the really local angle). Of course we must not rush to judgement, but several other violent crimes against women, including at least one murder (Kathleen McVicar in 2001) are being investigated.

Trenton base commander charged in deaths of two women - Belleville Intelligencer
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »
Thanks for that link Lagatta. Why do they always want to be caught? I'm so sickened, I'm so distraught over this, thank gawd the police did such a thorough job. Her friend said - "Somehow, people still don't feel safe," she said, looking on as the accused killer of her friend was whisked away in a police motorcade. And I so feel the same. Where were u going to place the story? All I saw was Violence and Power and so went for it. And because we prolly won't hear from wife, which of course would be very interesting for the 'social science' peeps.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 07:31:04 PM »
Looking at the timeline, you really have to wonder whether police dragged their feet on this one. If they had three previous cases that they could connect so quickly, how close were they to a suspect before the last killing happened?

Well, we won't leap to conclusions, but something came together awfully quickly.

It would be interesting to know his background. Has he been deployed in a battlefield? There are very strange things happening in the U.S. among vets, very disturbing, a father waterboarding his own four-year-old, eg, a lot of obvious and very dangerous PTSD.

This will be devastating to think about in communities like Quinte West and all along the north shore of the lake, that the senior commander at Trenton could be anything but a hero. There are a lot of working-class people in these parts (I live among them) who have a lot invested in believing that that troops are the good guys. It's not right-wing politics, necessarily; they tend not to like politicians. They just identify with the soldiers, and Trenton has special significance.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
It would be interesting to know his background. Has he been deployed in a battlefield

His military bio - http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/8w-8e/ ... asp?id=964

Looks like career oriented, not soldier. I don't think the police have been dragging, I think they want everything on him they can. The criminologists are gonna have a field day with this one. Keerist, I'm still just gobsmacked. I think it's because I had such a strange, strange encounter today on the bus. A normal looking guy hugging, holding, his 2 year old soft doll. He dressed him very carefully, even soft skates to match his TML's sweater. It took 2 looks to realize the toddler was a soft toy, it looked so real. The fact he looked around and chose to sit beside me kinda freaked me out. I gave him a very weak smile, altho I knew (eta-no, not knew)  he was harmless.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »
That is kind of sad, actually. :(
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »
Except for the mysterious Camp Mirage, it's hard to know what some of those assignments consisted of. That's probably intentional.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 09:53:37 AM »
There's another young Belleville woman missing, and she hasn't been seen since before Lloyd disappeared. Family and friends were assuming she was staying with friends, but no.

Williams is on suicide watch.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »
The local paper has a story with photos of the missing young woman: http://www.intelligencer.ca/  and of course a lot of items on how people in Belleville, Tweed, Trenton and the whole area are reacting to this horror story.

skdadl will recall that Stirling is one of the little towns around there.
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »
Well, the whole thing is not that far from me, although I'm closer to Toronto than to Trenton, and Williams seems to have been roaming more the corridor leading to Ottawa than heading west.

Bad nightmare, though, isn't it? Being awoken suddenly by some guy who blindfolds you before you're even compos? I feel so much for those women who went through that and have to struggle with their minds now. And then, of course, there are the dead and their horrified families.  :cry:

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 12:27:41 AM »
He was stationed in Manitoba in the early 1990s and the OPP are working with the RCMP to see if the murder of 19 year old Aboriginal woman Glenda Morriseau is connected. I'm not sure if this cold case has been officially opened in connection to Col. Williams.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 09:02:18 PM »
I'm sure you've all heard 70 year old Fred Preston, 70 years old killed a good cop in a shoot-out

What the article fails to mention is that Preston was on his way to visit his wife, who had left him, loaded for bear. eta - no, article does say that, so this officer may have saved that woman's life.

Sources say Preston's wife left him last fall and moved in with their youngest daughter in southwestern Ontario. Police believe Preston, a former reeve Joly Township on the western edge of Algonquin Park, was on his way to see his wife when he was pulled over by the OPP.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 09:49:01 PM »
Yes, that was such a ghastly and such a sad story.  :(
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 09:35:46 AM »
Williams attempts to commit suicide.

Dunno whether that can be stopped, really. One-on-one watch can't go on forever.

Heard from a friend last week that a colleague of hers is the mother of a young woman who was killed on/near the U of T Scarborough campus in the late 80s, at the time of the Scarborough rapist panic. The family have been told by the police that Bernardo was not the killer in their daughter's case -- don't know how the police know that, but. So now, with the stories of Williams' past, they are all stirred up again. Very hard thing to live with for so long.  :(

deBeauxOs

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 12:12:52 PM »
At some point, people either choose to move on or they stay with the familiarity of the emotional turmoil that such situations engender.

There must be studies that have been done about the factors that determine whether individuals can resolve their anxiety, grief, anger and fear after tragedy or continue to find ways to feed those emotions.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 12:30:37 PM »
Indeed. I can't  help thinking about all the people in Haiti who have lost many people - sometimes their whole families and many friends - and how they manage to cope.

I'm glad there is much more work on and sensitivity to the problems some of us reestablishing some kind of lust for life after trauma or tragedy, but human beings do have a great deal of resilience, or they simply wouldn't have survived as a species.

I had a friend who was a Chilean refugee and torture survivor. He was doing fairly ok, integrated into life, work and struggles here, and then something snapped in him and the nightmares came back. He refused to seek help, and drank himself to death (which took some doing, he was of a robust constitution, and from a country where a bit of daily vino was the norm).

Something similar (though no substance abuse involved other than continued cigarette smoking, but not as a result of this trauma) happened to another former refugee I know, from Morocco. He has gone back there. Interesting that in the case of both these men, they "snapped" after the situation was once again safe in their countries of origin. Did they expect to be welcomed back as heroes? Sadly that rarely happens. I dunno.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT