Author Topic: Domestic Violence and Power  (Read 15253 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Domestic Violence and Power
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2010, 04:46:18 PM »
I wasn't saying I wanted the case transferred; just that there were possible military court counts for assaulting a soldier under his own command.

I do feel for Williams' wife as well as for the victims' families and surviving victims of course. I'm sure she is going through all kinds of horror about her blindness to what was going on. I also think she should be entitled to his military pension; it wasn't at all her fault. He'll never get out to enjoy it.

This must be an utter horror for parents to try to explain tto children who have seen or heard the news stories and the horrific details about this creep.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
http://www.rabble.ca/news/2010/10/unspeakable-williams-murders-were-about-power-not-personal-fetishes

To break into the house, the bedroom, the dresser drawer of a girl or   woman, try on her underwear and spend hours taking pictures of yourself   wearing it while masturbating isn't a fetish, it's a violation of the   personal space and the sexualized belongings of the girl or woman. It   made Williams feel powerful and in control -- feelings he was clearly   very fond of. To masturbate all over a woman's bedroom is a violation.   To tie her up and take pictures of her while masturbating and taking   pictures of yourself is a violation. To do the same and then kill her is   a violation. This is escalating predatory behaviour in the service of   power and control, not fetishism.
If the police don't know that, they can't do their job of securing   women's safety because they can't properly categorize dangerous   behaviour and make the predictions necessary to stop people like the   colonel. Women can make those predictions. Several women in Tweed   recognized the danger of their situations after visits from Williams.   The police paid no attention to them. That was and is a tragedy.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2010, 01:45:04 PM »
Several women in Tweed   recognized the danger of their situations after visits from Williams. 

What is that about? That's something I haven't read before.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »
Several women in Tweed   recognized the danger of their situations after visits from Williams. 

What is that about? That's something I haven't read before.

Does that mean the police were aware of these assaults and treated them like some kind of misdemeanor?
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »
It's the "several" that has me puzzled. I know that the police didn't take the two assault cases seriously enough in the first place, but that's two, not "several."

IOW, were there other women who tried speaking out at the time? Or were there other kinds of "visits" from Williams?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:29:26 PM by skdadl »

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2010, 03:36:38 PM »
Go watch the fifth estate online.
IMO, if the cops had used a map and some pins, not treated the invasions like panty raids, and put him above suspicion, they would have nailed him before lloyd got killed, if not before comeau.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2010-2011/abovesuspicion/
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2010, 12:19:15 AM »
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/895754--russell-williams-suv-spotted-by-police-before-jessica-lloyd-killed?bn=1

So I got this tip ...

An OPP officer knocked on Jessica Lloyd’s door on the very night she   was raped, abducted and later murdered. At that precise moment, serial   killer Russell Williams was hiding in Lloyd’s backyard, the Star has learned.
It was a dramatic moment — one that raises questions about whether Lloyd could have been saved.
The female OPP officer drove up to Lloyd’s house on Jan. 28 after   noticing what she considered a suspicious vehicle — it would turn out to   be Williams’ Pathfinder — parked in a field near the home along Hwy.   37, north of Belleville. When no one answered, the officer left.
It is not known whether the officer noted the licence plate of the SUV that raised her suspicions.
What is clear is that Williams watched the car drive away. Then he   broke into Lloyd’s house that night, January 28, sometime after 10:30   p.m. He raped and terrorized his 27-year-old victim for several hours   before taking her to his cottage in Tweed.
There, he continued to abuse her for much of the next day, killing   her eight hours after Belleville police began investigating Lloyd’s   disappearance.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »
Ever creepy, eh? This was one of the things I puzzled over after I'd seen the CBC [?] doc about the case, wherein the two fellows who drove by later that night and also saw the SUV talked about their role. We know they really did feel it was suspect because as soon as they saw the police tape up, they stopped and volunteered their evidence.

I was left wondering two things: where was the van for it to look automatically suspect to others? Why would you wonder about it in the first place? But then I also wondered, why wouldn't he park in the driveway, far less suspect ... except I guess there's an obvious answer to that -- if she was in the house she'd be alerted; if she was coming home, she'd be alerted. She obviously didn't see the SUV in the field, though, even though she arrived after the OPP officer had left.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Williams+wife+decides+seek+stay+court+decision+divorce+proceedings/6117278/story.html

Williams wife 'decides' not to seek stay of court decision on divorce proceedings. As if she had a choice. Your just not that special Ms. Harriman. I'm still trying to figure out how you were a 'victim', other than having your reputation tarnished and your judgement questioned.  ::)
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2012, 10:43:33 PM »
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1211557--murderer-russell-williams-denies-victim-s-lawsuit-claims-of-pain-suffering

It pisses me off to no end! And no I don't feel sorry for his wife, not one bit. The IQ of a brussel sprout if she didn't know. Being a 'wife' of some 11 years plus another 13 I don't buy it.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2012, 11:48:48 PM »
I'm sorry Toe, I don't agree about the wife. Lots of reasonably-intelligent women have never seen such things coming, and he was working in a milieu in which L'esprit de corps and practical considerations (piloting etc) meant necessary frequent separation.

Really, there is no reason to take the horrors he inflicted on women out on his ex-wife.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2012, 09:12:15 AM »
You know, the media has set it up that way. The horror of saying anything against the wife. Both the media and the police have protected Williams wife and re-victimized the victim. Whether she knew or didn't doesn't matter, the media portrayed a loving couple when it looked like they practically lived apart the majority of the time. But something stinks when the victim can't get redress.

Infosaturated

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2012, 01:03:52 AM »
I think it's too soon to say that the victims won't get redress. I agree that the wife probably had no idea what was going on. That is very common.  I think it probably came as quite a shock when she found out what he had done. Hence, the divorce. It also makes sense that he would transfer most of his assets as part of the divorce. I think the victims will end up getting restitution but I don't think the wife should be left destitute either. She is not responsible for the terrible things her husband did. He is responsible for that.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2012, 10:23:18 AM »
Indeed that's the thinking we've carefully been steered to think, since the cops are being sued as well for neglecting to let women know there was a rapist in their village.  NTL, I was greatly offended in the media pitting the most troubled woman with kids against the other victims and Harriman/Williams. I trust my own instincts about Harriman and the transfer of assets.

Massicotte's suit on behalf of herself and her three children — and its varied claims against police — has been holding up Williams and Harriman from reaching settlements with the other victims.
That is just reprehensible. And I mistakenly gave the Star article, the above statement comes from CBC. The settlement is for $75,000 from the Harriman assets to the other victims. Massicotte's deeply troubled psyche is not being treated with respect and dignity she deserves.

Oops forgot, from cbc - Like Williams, the province is asking that the lawsuit against it be dismissed with costs, which would leave Massicotte on the hook for the defendants' legal bills.
BEFORE it's been tested in the courts!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:32:13 AM by Toedancer »

Infosaturated

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2012, 12:12:24 PM »
I'm sure you know the case better than I do but something else occurred to me while reading your response toedancer.  Suing the criminal for restitution is possible in this case because he has money. Should a victims well-being depend on the financial means of the attacker?

If a criminal has the means then I think society should access their wealth but victims particular victims shouldn't be better or worse off depending on the criminal's bank account.

Return To TAT