Author Topic: Domestic Violence and Power  (Read 14893 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Domestic Violence and Power
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2012, 12:28:16 PM »
I think a victims well-being hinges on some financial means. I don't know much about law, but I would think post-trauma therapy is expensive for the victim and in this case her kids. If it was me there is no way I would go to a physician directed counsellor provided by the province. As well I consider what Williams/Harriman/Province is doing to the victim is financial abuse, where the abuser is using his money as a means to control the outcome and it stinks.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Infosaturated

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2012, 12:59:34 PM »
My point was that victim care shouldn't be dependent on whether or not the attacker has money.  What if Williams were poor?  Would his victims be less traumatized?  That the murderer of Lin Jun isn't rich doesn't lessen the pain of his family.

I don't know what William's wife does for a living or if she is still providing for her children. I don't know how much money there is to go around. I'm not suggesting that she should be allowed to simply keep everything she got in the divorce. I think that she is entitled to whatever she would normally have received in a divorce had her husband not been arrested. It is not unusual for a wife to "not know" her husband is leading a double life. We often read, referring to monsters, "but he was so nice". People are often so incredulous that they don't believe it at first. I can't imagine the shock of finding out I married a monster.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2012, 01:09:19 PM »
The only silver lining in the horrible, sadistic crime against Mr Lin is that many people, of a wide range of origins, have donated to the fund set up by Chinese Students at Concordia University for his family, and turned out in a rally at a nearby park in memory of his life and in support of his family.

and yes, infosaturated, it is infuriating when we keep hearing the name of his killer, much more than his own.

(I wrote murderer, but the arsehole is not a "murderer" until and unless convicted of murder. And normally I'd not write "killer" until that was also proven in court, but since he filmed it, well...).

Yes, it is a bit perverse that it is better to be assaulted, or killed (for one's heirs) by someone with a bit of money.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »
It is not unusual for a wife to "not know" her husband is leading a double life.

Yeah we hear that so often. Williams made 82 fetish-related home invasions and attempted break-ins between September 2007 and November 2009, before he began binding/raping and then murdering women. And apparently no one had a clue, or were certainly not in the least interested in what he did with his free time. Police investigators have uncovered that Williams behaviour goes back almost 20 years. He pled guilty so a lot of information would not come to light, to protect Harriman investigators concluded. Prosecutors agreed not to pursue accusations of pedophilia in return for Williams' guilty plea. Harriman is an associate director of the Heart & Stroke Foundation, they had no children. Harriman had her financial records sealed, she says because of her exemplary reputation. And apparently it is in the public best interest that we not contemplate too much the horror that was done to an already damaged personality such as the victim suing the OPP/Harriman/Williams. If Williams was poor Massicotte should sue the ass off the province/OPP. And I think I'll stick with my tried and true instincts on this one.

Oh and I meant to add - I do believe there are degrees to 'not knowing'.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:22:14 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Infosaturated

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2012, 04:16:32 PM »

Williams made 82 fetish-related home invasions and attempted break-ins between September 2007 and November 2009, before he began binding/raping and then murdering women. And apparently no one had a clue, or were certainly not in the least interested in what he did with his free time. Police investigators have uncovered that Williams behaviour goes back almost 20 years. He pled guilty so a lot of information would not come to light, to protect Harriman investigators concluded.......  Prosecutors agreed not to pursue accusations of pedophilia in return for Williams' guilty plea.....

I am leary of investigators "concluding" someone's motives. Maybe he did it for deal he was offered. Isn't that the point of offering a criminal a plea deal? He plead guilty to what he had to but had the investigation into pedophilia ended so there would be  no charges or discoveries about what he did in the past. Saying that was to protect his wife needs to be supported by something besides a hypothesis when the obvious motive of self-protection is available.

True, but more than once Dear Abby has cautioned that some wives don't want to know their husbands are having an affair. Some spouses have a "don't ask don't tell" policy". Maybe the wife thinks he is going to strip clubs. Maybe he says he can't sleep at night so he goes driving. Most wives, if their husbands are too frequently MIA suspect a lot of things but breaking into homes to satisfy sexual fetishes is not the first thing that comes to mind. So there are degrees of knowing as well. You can know "somethings up" without any clue of how extreme that "something" is. People that do this sort of stuff don't go walking around looking all sinister.

Harriman is an associate director of the Heart & Stroke Foundation, they had no children. Harriman had her financial records sealed, she says because of her exemplary reputation.

She sounds like a cold bitch. I agree she shouldn't get a nickel of William's money. She can maintain her lifestyle without it, continue traveling in the same circles. With no children with expectations involved the situation is simplified. I would think that graciously forfeiting any financial compensation for herself would protect her exemplary reputation much more than having her records sealed. I know I would have a great deal more sympathy for her.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »
Why is Harriman being criticized? To the best of my knowledge she has committed no crimes. I think she is entitled to the same treatment under law as any other ex-spouse.

Infosaturated

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2012, 12:37:12 AM »
Why is Harriman being criticized? To the best of my knowledge she has committed no crimes. I think she is entitled to the same treatment under law as any other ex-spouse.
I agree, except that the divorce was arranged after his arrest once his wife was aware of what his victims had suffered. Had he not been arrested my bet is that he would not have handed over all his assets in a divorce. I don't think she should suffer for what her husband did but she shouldn't be allowed to protect his assets from his victims either.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
Below we talked extensively of the animal Williams, who in the end had no power, because the evidence was so overwhelming against him. And it looks like the Senate will give Brazeau no power either, that was kind of clinched already with Harper's 'appalling/saddened' remark.

I'm amused, once again, by the media's idiocy in writing up the reports.

Natty Post doesn't give us a timeline, but does say - 'after the senator ordered her to leave her house.' http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/26/sen-patrick-brazeau-pushed-alleged-victim-down-stairs-spat-at-her-and-touched-her-in-a-aggressively-sexual-way-court-documents/
CBC does give us a timeline apparently Brazeau uttered something a little different - "leave my country,"
But the timeline seems rather iffy. We're being told the cops were summoned in first call @ 9:02 p.m. and arrived @ 9:04 p.m. during the 2nd call.

The Calgary Herald wisely stays away from timelines. http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/national/Brazeau%2Bincident%2Bbegan%2Bwith%2Bargument%2Bover%2Baboriginal/8018310/story.html
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/02/26/sen_patrick_brazeau_pleads_not_guilty_plea_to_assault_sexual_assault_charges.html  Star leaves out that he spat on her.

All in all can't forget it was Harper who appointed this out of control anger bullyboy.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:49:43 PM by Toedancer »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2013, 03:20:33 PM »
APTN gives a very visceral report.

http://aptn.ca/pages/news/2013/02/26/patrick-brazeau-allegedly-hit-spat-and-groped-woman-court-documents/

He tried to shame and humiliate her while she was trying to dress and pack, unknowingly revealing his own shame-based guilt, and disrespect for himself, the insidious pattern of scapegoating. The shame is not the victims but the abusers. I'm glad there is a court-ordered blackout on her identity.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2013, 05:25:26 PM »
Brazeau has pled "not guilty".  With all those details now out, will he change his plea?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »
There is nothing wrong with pleading "not guilty" as there are many reasons (including mental disturbance) that a person might not be guilty - in essence it means it is up to the court to prove guilt.

But often a guilty plea can mean a reduced sentence.

He really is in deep shit. Remember, he's also lost his sinecure.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2013, 07:27:19 PM »
Remember, he's also lost his sinecure.

Are you sure? I've read that he continues to get his salary until he is no longer a senator, and others have said it's very difficult to kick him out permanently unless he truly is found guilty of a serious charge.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »
Regarding those charges, the Crown is proceeding by way of summary offence, not indictable. So even if found guilty, 6 months and a fine (usually 5,000). And yes BB a forced leave of absence with pay.

P.S. I can't see how the Senate will allow him back in.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:37:03 PM by Toedancer »

Return To TAT