Author Topic: Boom about to go Bust?  (Read 70856 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Boom about to go Bust?
« Reply #465 on: September 09, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
I have to say this is the most honest article I've seen come out of the mainstream news in Canada, when it comes to the state of the economy and what we can expect, which is nothing much.
Read it and weep. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/with-no-rebound-in-sight-theres-never-been-a-slump-like-this/article4528610/
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 09, 2012, 07:02:43 PM »
I confess I deliberately avoided reading that article this morning as I have too many black thoughts as it is.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 09, 2012, 08:14:06 PM »
I confess I deliberately avoided reading that article this morning as I have too many black thoughts as it is.

It's a warning Lagatta, something is coming down.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 09, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
I'm well aware of that, Toe. But looking for reasons to go on. My work and income have declined seriously with the Harper cuts to arts and international solidarity/cooperation groups. I'm utterly terrified of no work, and well, death.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #469 on: September 09, 2012, 09:04:41 PM »
I feel your pain, lagatta.

The Harper cuts to the environment and aboriginal programs are going to make my potential earnings take a mega-dive. I don't even want to think about having to move but it might come to that given our employment prospects. And outside of what I have been doing for the past 6 years brings me to arts and culture - not likely to help in term of work.

The sooner Harper disappears the better both nationally (hell, internationally) and personally.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 10, 2012, 11:08:25 AM »
Considering Harper got a majority with just a handful of seats in Quebec, I think he'll be with us for a long, long time.  :o

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 28, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
USA:  CEOs Try to Shred the Safety Net While Pigging Out on Corporate Welfare

excerpt:

A gang of brazen CEOs has joined forces to promote economically disastrous and socially irresponsible austerity policies. Many of those same CEOs were bailed out by the American taxpayer after a Wall Street-driven financial crash. Instead of a thank-you, they are showing their appreciation in the form of a coordinated effort to rob Americans of hard-earned retirements, decent medical care and relief for the poorest.

Using the excuse of a phony, manufactured crisis known as the “fiscal cliff” – which isn’t a crisis at all, as economist James K. Galbraith has succinctly explained -- they are gearing up to pull the wool over the public's eyes by cutting Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. The CEOs are part of the Fix the Debt campaign run by the Peter Peterson-backed Center for a Responsible Federal Budget, which plans to unleash tens of millions pushing for a deficit reduction deal that favors the rich.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 16, 2013, 12:12:06 AM »
Doncha just love how the working middle class STill think they are middle class? It beggars belief.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 12, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
Make the rich pay!  :applause

Washington (AFP) - Tax the rich and better target the multinationals: The IMF has set off shockwaves this week in Washington by suggesting countries fight budget deficits by raising taxes.

Tucked inside a report on public debt, the new tack was mostly eclipsed by worries about the US budget crisis, but did not escape the notice of experts and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs).

"We had to read it twice to be sure we had really understood it," said Nicolas Mombrial, the head of Oxfam in Washington. "It's rare that IMF proposals are so surprising."

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:25:32 PM by Boom Boom »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 13, 2013, 04:02:26 PM »
In the EU there's talk by the IMF (and so far it's just talk) of imposing a 10% "supertax" on all households with a bank balance. Insane. A sure-fire way to encourage rebellion, revolution, and anarchy.

Meanwhile, in the USA:  (from 2011)

30 Major Corporations Paid No Income Taxes In The Last Three Years, While Making $160 Billion

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:06:40 PM by Boom Boom »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 15, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »
The gov't is not our friend.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/14/obamacare-trade-superversion-subversion-threat-state

They do so on behalf of [/size]a class which has, in effect, seceded[/color][/size]. It floats free of tax and the usual bonds of citizenship, jetting from one jurisdiction to another as it seeks the most favourable havens for its wealth. It removes itself so thoroughly from the life of the nation that it scarcely uses even the roads. Yet, through privatisation and outsourcing, it is capturing the public services on which the rest of us depend.[/color][/i]

Return To TAT