Author Topic: Summer foods  (Read 25394 times)

deBeauxOs

Summer foods
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2007, 05:12:23 PM »
Can it be local already?  I have always had problems digesting corn - most humans lack the proper enzyme to break down the "skin" that encloses the kernel.  That's probably why it has traditionally been processed in a multitude of ways, in the countries where corn originated.

kuri

• View Profile
Summer foods
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2007, 05:16:22 PM »
Our raspberry bushes are producing - I love it! I don't think I'll do anything with them other than snack straight off of the bush every so often. They're so flavourful. :)

lagatta

• View Profile
Summer foods
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007, 05:20:32 PM »
The farmers said it was; I'd have no reason to disbelieve them. Must be some early "primeur" variety.

Yes, well this is one of the places maize has long been grown, and of course the Aboriginal peoples processed it, especially since it was more fibrous back then. I can eat it other ways, but just can't digest it on the cob

I bought some chicken sausages at Milano (7,95$ a kilo, not bad for homemade sausages from good fowl that has no junk in them). And a baguette of good bread; will take some goat's cheese too. I'm sure that is plenty - I don't feel like cooking today.  

Once made the error of buying a couple of chicken sausages at Loblaw's. Don't. They include milk powder and all sorts of crap.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Catchfire

• View Profile
    • http://blindmanwithapistol.wordpress.com
Summer foods
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 08:51:05 PM »
I live about a block away from William Walters' sausage store on Mont-Royal--there's few better summer foods than something that takes about seven minutes to cook.  Tonight I fired up a couple of scallops with some tomatoes, green onions and paprika--although the tomatoes were very poor.

In conclusion, I love sausages.

kuri

• View Profile
Summer foods
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 11:34:03 PM »
L. does too. I BBQ a cod filet for myself, sausages for L. He'd requested, "gooey, very bad-for-me smokies with lots of cheese and other unhealthy stuff in them". :D I decided beer was bad enough for me, though.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Summer foods
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2007, 07:52:15 AM »
I'm not sure what's in the huge hot Italian sausages I get at Loblaws (I'm lazy), but they are wonderful.

A surprisingly light and most tasty supper:

Brown two or three large Italian sausages in a pan -- remove to a cutting board and cool until you can handle them. Slice into 2-inch pieces. Return to pan and brown the raw sides.

Add as many pinches of hot pepper seeds as you like; add two or three very coarsely cut-up sweet (bell) peppers -- I like red and yellow for the colour.

Add about a cup of water; raise the heat and make sure to scrape up all the browny bits to make nice gravy. Simmer (to reduce) for a bit -- then add mass quantities of chopped parsley.

I serve this over rice vermicelli, since I find that ordinary pasta is too heavy to let the lovely flavours come through.

lagatta

• View Profile
Summer foods
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2007, 08:01:40 AM »
You could also not serve it over anything  and provide good crusty bread to sop it up with. Other veg could be added as well, and an option would be new potatoes...

I suspect those sausages are subcontracted out to an actual Italian butcher. The Italian butcher's and market I went to (Milano) is closer to me than the Loblaws is. I was glad to see a promotion on their homemade chicken sausages - they are a new item and people were snapping them up. They actualy taste like real sausages, not something dull and virtuous.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
Summer foods
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2007, 08:07:49 AM »
They actualy taste like real sausages, not something dull and virtuous.

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

deBeauxOs

Summer foods
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2007, 12:00:36 PM »
The Lebanese Festival is currently on this weekend, behind St Elijah's church across from Mooney's Bay in Ottawa.  My friend M. and I went for the food last night - it was very, very delicious.  Chicken on skewers, crusty and tender falaffels, the most delicious vine-leaf wrapped bundles and the baklava!  To die for.

lagatta

• View Profile
Summer foods
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2007, 12:42:58 PM »
Oh, too bad I didn't know! I have relatives in Ottawa who live 5 minutes' walk from there, who appreciated both Le Petit Alep here and the yummy savouries I'd pick up on Bank St South. These relatives may be out of town though (and the Gatineau relatives are definitely across the pond now - husband is Belgian)...

(edited to add): Here is the Festival website

St-Elias is a remarkable new church that looks like something from another time - certainly a lot of care and a lot of contributions were devoted to it.

We were stuck in traffic on the street behind it and thought there was an accident - it was a wedding, and they had blocked traffic everywhere with well-wishers photographing the wedding party. It is an Orthodox Christian church but there were also Muslim ladies attending in (very stylish) hijab, which I thought was a nice touch, against sectarianism. [/url]
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

Summer foods
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2007, 02:16:29 PM »
Lots of ladies in hijab yesterday too.  I only heard about it on Saturday morning.  There is a terrific local Radio-Canada program early in the morning that features local events, wine-tasting, beer-sampling, recipes, gardening advice - it's called Divines tentations.

With all pita wraps, one plump Mediteranean cucumber was given.  I have a bag of those in my refrigerator.  Burpless too, which cannot be said for the generous quantity of garlic sauce slathered over my grilled chicken skewers.  I believe that I was burping all night long in my sleep.   :oops:

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Summer foods
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2007, 02:25:32 PM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs
The Lebanese Festival is currently on this weekend, behind St Elijah's church across from Mooney's Bay in Ottawa.  My friend M. and I went for the food last night - it was very, very delicious.  Chicken on skewers, crusty and tender falaffels, the most delicious vine-leaf wrapped bundles and the baklava!  To die for.

I guess what I miss most of all by living in an isolated territory is the opportunity to gorge on great fast food from all nationalities. On the other hand, It's not too difficult for me to maintain my desired weight here - lack of temptation, and all that. If I was living back in Ottawa, I think I'd be seriously overweight - I simply can't resist temptation. However, even here, I am currently five pounds over my normal weight for summer.  :panic

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Summer foods
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2007, 12:34:27 PM »
It's too hot to cook; if I had lagatta's petits pois, I would sit in front of the TV to shell them and eat them raw.  I have gotten peas from the farmer's markets lately, but there were too many big fat peas which were not as juicy and sweet and did need to be cooked.  I have to wait another week or so for the really good ones to be available.  Or try to get to a market when it first opens, but they are real zoos then.

But the new little red potatoes are lovely and I did steam some last night along with the peas and a few young carrots.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

lagatta

• View Profile
Summer foods
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2007, 12:41:48 PM »
A lot of the farmers are at the Jean-Talon market by 6am, certainly by 7. Actually it is not overly busy then, and has a real "market" atmosphere with people setting up and the cafés mostly occupied by merchants and workers.

I like to make a bit of a dish, even if it is prepared and eaten cold. I like the smallest meal to have some kind of "form".
Rosa Luxemburg

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Summer foods
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2007, 12:52:46 PM »
Some markets here are held on a specific day of the week, from 3:30pm to 7 or 8; they are very popular and tend to run out of some things early; but the parking is easier later.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Return To TAT