Author Topic: Israel and the war on terror: munnee munnee munnee  (Read 5180 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Israel and the war on terror: munnee munnee munnee
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 08:25:10 AM »
I don't know whether this merits a new thread -- it's just a historical marker, I guess. People have probably heard that PM Ehud Olmert has announced that he won't be running for his party's (Kadima's) leadership in September, probably because he isn't getting untangled from a few corruption scandals any time soon.

As I understand it, that means his successor would either have to make an alliance with other parties to become PM, or call an election -- which everyone at the moment thinks that oppo Likudnik leader and ultra-batshit hawk Netanyahu would win.

Everyone available is pretty hawkish -- not that Olmert wasn't, but we're talking in relative terms here.

Sigh.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 03:16:05 PM »
Israel Selling Off Palestinian Oil

While they talk about Aid to Gaza, how ridiggulous is that?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 09:19:10 PM »
The article is sensational enuf but holy mother of all that is reason, check out the banner at the top of that page of the Jerusalem Post!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 01:28:58 AM »
US army to double weapons stockpiled in Israel

In December, US President Barack Obama granted $ 2.775 billion in security aid to Israel. The aid is accompanied by special additions to the Israeli military industries for the development of technologies, particularly in the missile field.

But this is not related in any way to Iran. Fekin liars!

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 07:38:12 AM »
Some of it is undoubtedly Iran, but a lot of this is just the logic of the MIC -- which is exactly the topic of this thread. Munnee makes the world go 'round, and military-industrial munnee is the biggest munnee of all -- they're feeding the beast. George Bernard Shaw taught us all that over a century ago, and since then it has just got worse.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 01:15:23 AM »
I'm tired tonight, so am lazy. This American Bachmann woman is a loon, to think her husband owns a mental health clinic somehow makes ev she says all normal though, cuz that's how it is right now in the excited states.
God will ‘curse’ America if it opposes Israel

So this Christian Zionist believes in 'curses'. WTF? Spinny as a shithouse rat and helping to ratch up the next false flag I guess, or maybe Obama is being too 'demanding' of Israel lately and could get himself assassinated, who the F knows.

While Bachmann has opposed government intervention in the economy, including President Obama's stimulus package, Raw Story reported that she and her family have received nearly a quarter of a million dollars in farm subsidies over the past decade

Munnee, munnee, munnee.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »
Cannot say I surprised to see that Thomas L. Friedman supports Israel, he has been bending the news for years to do it.

Today he has gone beyond himself. On the day that Frank Rich posts a very sensible essay saying what Greenwald has said for years about the press corp 'inside the beltway', Friedman comes out swinging in support of his country. (Hell - he does not say such positive things about America!)
This is his take on the latest Israeli wars:

Israel today is enjoying another timeout because it recently won three   short wars  —  and then encountered one pleasant surprise. The first was   a war to dismantle the corrupt Arafat regime. The second was the war   started by Hezbollah in Lebanon and finished by a merciless pounding of   Shiite towns and Beirut suburbs by the Israeli Air Force. The third was   the war to crush the Hamas missile launchers in Gaza.

I would say that Israel is losing a PR war here if it has to result in such obvious prevarication. It may be a quibble, but Thomas L. seems to have discovered a definition of 'recent' that has escaped me so far ... Israel went after Arafat in 1982.  :confused

As well - if I recall correctly. Israel invaded Lebanon, as is its' occasional want, only to be stopped in its' tracks by Hezbollah. In reference to the Gaza slaughter - it is a wonder what a modern army can do against schools and farms and a few fools who begged, borrowed or stole some grenade launchers.

My point here is that he has dropped any pretence of being subtitle - and come out swinging in a very partisan way.   

What I find new about this post is that he thinks it is time for Israel to reward itself for all the bloodthirstiness. The Palestinian security forces built by Abbas and Fayyad in the West   Bank are the real deal, and their effectiveness is a vital stabilizer of   the current timeout.      

Despite having his political base turn toward Hamas - Abbas, the current West Bank leader and Israel had best concoct some kind of deal, including one to stop the west bank constructions, before they have to deal with Ismail Haniyeh, the Hamas leader in Gaza.

"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 12:04:41 PM »
When American officials are asked to explain the country's  largest   weapons sale ever, including $100 billion-worth of arms to  Saudi Arabia   and other Gulf States, they mutter one word behind  their hands. Iran.

Israel gave the okay, tho technically they are at war with Saudi Arabia, but of course, it's about weaponizing the enemies of your ally, because we're in stupid-land with militaristic Obama. Christ he makes Bush look like a liberal.

In the article there is this statement -
Israel gave its seal of approval after getting the guarantee that  it   will get the new F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, which Canada also  intends   to buy and which is several technical generations ahead of  the F-15.

Which is not accurate. Israel won't be spending a dime, they are a gift, within the U.S. military aid to Israel. But Canada will have to pay.

[url=http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-decides-to-buy-f-35-fighter-jets-despite-row-over-cost-of-deal-1.314213]Rather the entire cost will be covered by the US government in the form of military aid, meaning the US will be pasying Lockheed directly and delivering the warplnes to Israel for free[/url]

So does this mean the world is going to be relatively safe from nuking Iran until 2015 when the jets will be ready? And will Canada be part of bombing Iran back to the stone ages?

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 12:24:45 PM »
it's about weaponizing the enemies of your ally

To a great extent, it's about exactly what you're reporting on: the arms trade. It's one of the few areas left where the Americans have a positive balance of trade and it's much easier to close the deal if you can point to a specific enemy. If Iran didn't exist, the military contractors would invent one.

Return To TAT