Author Topic: First Night .... (CFL Thread)  (Read 55309 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
First Night .... (CFL Thread)
« on: June 28, 2007, 09:14:44 PM »
We have a hockey thread. Tonight is the first night for CFL football.  :D

(BC is leading Tranna 23-18 at the moment.) As in hockey, with the mothercorp, we will have to put up with all the glories of the Toronto Argonauts and whatever team that is foolish enough to get on the same field. (I am not a Argo fan for that reason.)

My best memory is of the 1976 Grey Cup ..... the pass from  Ottawa's Tom Clements to Tony Gabriel in the last nano-instant was and is the single most exciting moment I have ever seen in sports.

A long season ahead .... back to the game now.   :popcorn
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 11:21:57 PM »
Arrrrrgooooooss :football:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:24:30 AM »
Alouettes

chester

• View Profile
Re: First Night ....
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 10:36:38 AM »
Quote from: Croghan27
We have a hockey thread. Tonight is the first night for CFL football.  :D

My best memory is of the 1976 Grey Cup ..... the pass from  Ottawa's Tom Clements to Tony Gabriel in the last nano-instant was and is the single most exciting moment I have ever seen in sports.

your best memory may be my worst as i believe the clements (are you sure it was clements) - gabriel completion came against THE RIDERS!

go riders!  fuck it would be great if the riders could get a great quarterback.  the last great QB we've had is now the coach and that doesn't really count.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 10:46:23 AM »
Hee, I just exercised my gord-like powers (and indexer's compulsion) to add to the title of this thread. Otherwise, who the fuck would think to look for a thread on Canadian football under 'First Night'? No offense (ha), Croghan.

I don't watch much CFL, usually only semi-finals and only if they're played OUTDOORS.

I remember one year, a game played in Edmonton (?) in a blizzard. Sideline interviews with a few players asking 'What do you think of the weather?' One player, black with a wonderful southern draaaaawl, said: 'It's Canadian football, you gotta love it.' With a huge grin.  :mrgreen:

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 03:25:19 PM »
i believe the clements (are you sure it was clements)

chester - I too was unsure of the proper spelling and googled the '76 Grey Cup game, then copied and pasted it. Here is a video of it, if you care. Gabriel was terrific all year - even now in Ottawa, there is the occasional 77 Gabriel jersey.

I was sort of a fan of Ron Lancaster, and a major fan of George Reed. You had me puzzled for a bit because they are (were) both Roughriders, or Rough Riders - depending upon where you happen to be.  :shock:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 03:32:59 PM »
true but there is now only one team, the roughriders!  i thought the qb on that play was russ jackson (the last canadian to star and start at qb) thats what threw me.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 07:28:29 AM »
They snuck one past me last night .....

WINNIPEG (CP) - Milt Stegall didn't get his CFL-record touchdown Thursday night, but the Winnipeg Blue Bombers didn't need it as they defeated the Montreal Alouettes 32-23.

It was expected that 'Montreal would not the the force they were last year' and Winnipeg better .... but now Montreal is 0-2 it is rather a shock.   :shock:

I am in rather a quandry when they play - I rather like Montreal - its come back is a story for faery tales .. but Winnipeg is so irreverant .. they did not respect tradition and all that stuff.... they just went out and won.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 07:56:43 AM »
I'm royally po'ed. First, Canada loses to Austria at Football and then my beloved Alouettes cough up the lead. To top it off Riciardi the brainless questions Burnett's commitment. Sen Riciardi out of town of the next rail...

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 11:47:49 AM »
ok, caissa needs a penalty for mixin' sports in the football (not fotbal  :evil: ) thread...Fern Hill, throw your flag!

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 12:05:10 PM »
This flag? :redflag:

Actually, chester, I think most of the world would disagree with you.

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 12:18:02 PM »
Quote from: fern hill

Actually, chester, I think most of the world would disagree with you.

i've noticed that.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 12:39:53 PM »
Now if we can only put the boots to the Congo...

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 12:53:02 PM »
Quote from: Caissa
Now idf we can only put the boots to the Congo...

troll  :D

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 12:55:12 PM »
Quote from: Caissa
I'm royally po'ed. First, Canada loses to Austria at Football and then my beloved Alouettes cough up the lead. To top it off Riciardi the brainless questions Burnett's commitment. Sen Riciardi out of town of the next rail...

Riciardi gets two minutes for saying it .... even if that thought has occurred to me for sometime now. Given a $55,000,000 (5 year) contract now into its' second year, and he has appeared in about 29 games .... that is about $75 large a game.

We should not be privy to the dirty thoughts in GM's minds.  :evil:

Performance clauses are not revealed.

Return To TAT