Author Topic: First Night .... (CFL Thread)  (Read 55305 times)

Caissa

• View Profile
First Night .... (CFL Thread)
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 01:10:40 PM »
troll?

From Tsn:Canada has zero points in Group A and needs a win over Congo on Sunday here to get into the round of 16 via the back door.

The top two teams in each of the six groups plus the four best third-place finishers advance to the knockout round of 16.

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 02:58:31 PM »
Quote from: Caissa
troll?

From Tsn:Canada has zero points in Group A and needs a win over Congo on Sunday here to get into the round of 16 via the back door.

The top two teams in each of the six groups plus the four best third-place finishers advance to the knockout round of 16.

no, silly...troll 'cause you keep talking about soccer in the CFL thread!  :panic

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 04:17:23 AM »
The good folks from Vancouver (Lions) smoked the fine lads from Edmonton (Eskimos) last night, 29-9. It should have been a confrontation between the premier Quarter Backs* in the league, but neither Dickerson nor Ray lived up to their promise - it was the game of the Mede verses the Ocre.

Both showed flashes of what they can do - Dickerson's touchdown throw to Jason Clermont could be used in a training film of how it is supposed to work. Clermont was running a slant, left to right in front of the goal line and seemed to, at the last minute, remember something about a ball game and looked over his shoulder to find the ball perfectly placed.

Ray had a couple of his patented lazer fast and accurate throws in the second quarter - but otherwise seemed distracted.

My fav football rant  :rant2:  - on one Lion's touchdown the commentators sung the praises of the undramatically named Joe Smith, the running back. What happened is that he made one attempt to break through the middle of the line and failed, Edmonton held. Then he ran behind Sherko Haji-Rasouli, a good Canadian lad  :D , who, in his spare time, subs for one of the mountain range peaks. He is huge.  :shock: You could see the dent he made in the defensive line, pushing them into their own endzone.

As on old offensive lineman  :age:  I appreciate the difficulties and challenges involved in that position and the total lack of recognician. For an example - it is commonly agreed that the best player in the NFL, ever to play at any position was not one of the QB 'Joes', not OJ or sweetness from Chicago - it was John Hannah, left offensive guard of the Patriots. We don't get no respect!

*Okay, okay Kerry Joseph, late of Ottawa, is one of the major elite - he plays Sunday against Calgary.

Noticed on the scroll at the bottom of the picture there must have been another football game going on - Min. Twins and CWS ended up in a 20-14 game.  :roll:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 10:03:56 AM »
Croghan, you might be interested in "The Blind Side".  It describes how things have changed.  Some of the highest paid players in the NFL are left tackles now.

It also is a story about how a black kid from the most outrageously deprived childhood imaginable wound up in an upscale white christian school and then at the University of Mississippi.  A lot of implicit examination of race and class going on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/05/books/05masl.html?ex=1183953600&en=d85f3aee9a8cd84f&ei=5070

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 07:44:56 PM »
Thanks for that - jrootham. I did some goggling about found and even PBS has something about him.

There was a running back for Kansas City called the Nigerian Nightmare. (Christian Okoye) He was so big and so strong that his most subtle move was to blast his way through a mountain of defensive linemen. (Jim Brown could do that, but he had other more sexy moves that they also had to guard against.)

This Michael Oher was bigger than him (Okoye) when he was 16. He is also excellent at basketball so his athleticism is obvious. I have tried to find the NFL team that is looking to draft him, but that is still in the future, I guess. His story is something for Hollywood.

After a couple of years defences found a way to deal with Okoye, and a knee injury forced him to retire. He now teaches HS football in California and runs a string of gyms.

Race and professional football is a subject as deep as it is broad.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 01:33:48 AM »
The basketball part of the story is even crazier than you can imagine.

When he was growing up he wanted to be a point guard.  Fancy dribbling, spin moves, 3 point shots, that stuff.  Can you imagine the level of intimidation for a highschool player to see 300 pounds driving to the basket?  On the other hand, his coach wanted him to play the post and rebound.  The team was more successful when he did that.

The football part of the story is that outstanding left tackles are freaks of nature, and here is the next one to show up.

I just checked the eligibility rules, he has one more year at college, unless he gets hurt I see no possibility of him not declaring for the draft, and will almost certainly go first round, conceivably first overall.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 04:51:25 AM »
Argos - 30  :  TigerCats - 5

Last night was a good new/bad news night for the Hamilton TigerCats. The good news is that their defense played well for 30, or so, minutes. The bad news is that they were on the field for a lot longer than that.

The future looked average with the start of Michael Bishop as Toronto QB, or positively mundane when compared to how it was supposed to look. (No wonder Pinball has kept Allen around so long ...) Even if Mike McMahon showed serious hints of a Doug Flutie (may his name be praised) precision in his passing.

Even if the score is lopsided in Toronto's favour, the yards gained are just as tilted toward Hamilton. With over 150 yards in penalities gained for the Argos added to those of the offense gained for Hamilton they chewed up a lot more turf than Tranna.

Poor Tommy Chang, in his first professional start, looked like .... like ... well, it was his first professional start.

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 10:01:51 AM »
Quote from: Croghan27
Argos - 30  :  TigerCats - 5

Even if the score is lopsided in Toronto's favour, the yards gained are just as tilted toward Hamilton. With over 150 yards in penalities gained for the Argos added to those of the offense gained for Hamilton they chewed up a lot more turf than Tranna.

Huh?  Were you watching the same game I was?  Toronto 364 yards, Hamilton 164.   Penalties are on top of that, not part of that.  

The CFL website is annoying, total stats hard to find, no stats at all on penalties.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »
Huh? Were you watching the same game I was? Toronto 364 yards, Hamilton 164. Penalties are on top of that, not part of that.

I took that off a comment by one of the TV people describing the game. I searched for a half hour for some stats but could find none - not in the CFL site, nor in the Argo or TigerCats' site. (I do not blame them.) It was toward the end of the game, so I expect that the last drive, by McMahan, was not included.

Name Year Team ATT COMP % Yards Long TD % INT % Rating
CHANG, T 2007 HAM 23 12 52.2 167 51 0 0.0 2 8.7 39.6

These are the Hamilton stats for Tommy Chang. That was his only appearance this year so I have to take it they are from last night's game. (He also gained 16 yards rushing.) Maas, while ineffective, must have gained some yards, Chang did not come in until near the end of period #2. ?  :roll:

So Maas + Chang + penalities = more than the Argos'. Here I must admit I am on shakey grounds, depending upon commentators quips and my (often faulty) memory  :oops: )

But when one of the CBC team said that there was better than 150 yards in penalities against the young Hamilton defense - I did the math. Thems constant 'no yards' and 'facesmasks' do add up, even if I do have veiws of the big 'pass interference' one.  8)  '15 here, 65 there, pretty soon you're talkin' about real yards.' :wink:

Speaking of that last drive, I see the 'invisable hand of Michael Clemons' there. Toronto was moving well, firing on all cylinders and yet they decided to run into the middle of a suprisingly resilient TigerCat defensive line. The game was won, to score would have been piling it on ..... Pinball is a class act.  :applause:

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 11:52:17 AM »
See this

Even with 150 yards penalties to Hamilton Toronto comes out ahead, and Toronto was penalized too.  There were a lot of no yards flags on both sides.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2007, 12:11:30 PM »
now I am dazzled ....   :shock:

T. CHANG 8/16 81 0 1
J. MAAS 4/11 40 0 1
R. WILLIAMS 3/3 27 0 0

and:

HAMILTON Tiger-Cats  
Passing (comp/att/yds) 15/30/148

Does not add up to even the 167 that Chang registrars on the TigerCats website. They also say he completed 12 out of 23.  

Perhaps there were several games played last night?

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2007, 03:45:35 PM »
Chang played in the first game as well.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2007, 05:03:09 PM »
Quote from: jrootham
Chang played in the first game as well.

No thanks to the TigerCats and the CFL, but total congratz to your excellent site, I did found this a few minutes ago:

CP/AT YDS TD INT
J. MAAS 17/23 170 0 0
T. CHANG 4/7 86 0 1

Life without records is missing something.

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2007, 05:28:55 PM »
That is the CFL site actually.  It's the on line play by play.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2007, 05:55:55 PM »
Quote from: jrootham
That is the CFL site actually.  It's the on line play by play.

I have one like that for the NFL it is available through their main site. This one does not seem to be  directly available from the CFL site. Perhaps if I goggled Purolator  :shock:  .... Wendy's seems to have an okay site with archived games, that is connected, as is the CBC.

The Roughies and Stamps tonight (TSN) ..... the stats make them look pretty even, but Saskatchewan played a team (Montreal), while Calgary played hapless Hamliton.

No matter, as I said before, Dickerson and Ray are good QuarterBacks ... but Kerry Joseph is the full meal deal. Most clubs would rather not have their QB as their lead rusher - Saskatchewan can not help it. Joseph is irrepressible. Fun to watch -  :D

Return To TAT