Author Topic: First Night .... (CFL Thread)  (Read 55308 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
First Night .... (CFL Thread)
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 03:38:24 AM »
I was fairly impressed with Burris when, in the second Calgary possession, he drove them down, in a most spectacular way, for a major score.

Apparently so was the Saskatchewan 'D'. It never had a chance to happen again.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders broke the game open late in the first half on Sunday for an easy 49-8 win in their home opener against the Calgary Stampeders.

With the score tied 8-8, Saskatchewan scored 17 points in the final five minutes of the second quarter. The Roughriders are now 2-0 under rookie coach Kent Austin.

Given the hours I work, I fell asleep for most of the second half - just as well, by then it seems the football game was over.

Wish the cameras had caught the incident where "Hey George" was ejected from the game for what was apparently a fistfight. Who did the think he was playing for, the Flames?
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 11:30:03 AM »
go here http://riderprider.com/xtras.html to here your favourite rider fightin' song!  as often happens, i listened to the game on the radio while at the boat and on the way home.  earlier in the day my neighbourh, fellow b dock denizen and died in the wool roughies fan (grew up in toronto!) mentioned that the pregame radio show started at 2:30.  well, roughies fans driving to regina from the four corners have to have something worthwhile to listen to!

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 11:47:46 AM »
And to think we couldn't score against Congo last night. :D

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007, 12:00:59 PM »
Those Congolese kids are quite literally playing for their lives though. They hope to be spotted and get a place on their national side - and eventually a ticket to Belgium or France to make LOTS of €€€€€€ and support their entire extended family.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2007, 12:13:58 PM »
Debra!!!! these footy fans won't take it to their own thread!  Waahhhhhh!  :)

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 12:22:07 PM »
Ah shucks, and here we were talking about lads who actually look GOOD in shorts.  8)
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2007, 12:25:52 PM »
now come on Lagatta, if you like the footies in their shorts and bare legs surely those skin tight CFL pants must do something for you.  8)

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2007, 12:28:30 PM »
CFL- What's the Canadian Federation of Labour have to do with the u20 tournament?  :D  So who do you like in the Austria vs The Gambia matchup?

ETA: http://thecanadianencyclopedia.com/inde ... RTA0001281

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2007, 12:32:13 PM »
What on earth is the Canadian Federation of Labour? Isn't it the Canadian Labour Congress/Congrès du travail du Canada?

True, the provincial bodies are called ... "federation of labour".

Hmm, Austria-Gambia. I have several friends in Vienna, and would love to open a bottle of Grüner Veltiner, but Gambia does have that underdog cachet!
Rosa Luxemburg

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2007, 12:43:39 PM »
Croghan!!!! Help!

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2007, 12:45:02 PM »
I have a link to the Candian Federation of Labour's history above.

I'm pulling for The Gambia since Austria beat Canada in the preliminary round.  US vs. Uruguay should be interesting. I'm assuming Mexico will pound Congo.

And to make Chester happy, I'm trusting my Alouettes can beat the lowly Tigercats this weekend.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2007, 12:50:20 PM »
Has anyone seen an Alouettes game in the stadium here? It is quite spectacular, on Mont-Royal, with a view over the city centre.
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2007, 12:57:03 PM »
Quote from: chester
Croghan!!!! Help!

I have a bud in Pakistan I IM with occasionally ... very nice fellow and devoted Muslem .... when asked if Pakistan had a team in the U20 tourney he said: 'Football - that is for sissies .... we play cricket here."

This kind of football is the most popular team game in N. America for kids - but it has never really caught on among adults.  :wink:

Let 'em alone, Chester, they will come home when they grow up.  :ducking:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
Has anyone seen an Alouettes game in the stadium here? It is quite spectacular, on Mont-Royal, with a view over the city centre.

No, but i would love to.  I think that stadium revived football (yes, football damnit!) in Montreal.

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2007, 01:01:23 PM »
Let 'em alone, Chester, they will come home when they grow up.
 If you say so buddy but one more crack outa Caissa and i'm goin' over there.  :)

Return To TAT