Author Topic: D-I-V-O-R-C-E  (Read 11293 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 04:12:51 PM »
Didn't anyone else enjoy "the Straddle Generation"?  

I mean, I gaped, but then I laughed quite a lot.

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
What, you mean that wasn't a gymnastics allusion? Pommel horse?  No?

I can't think of anything else... :whis:

brebis noire

• View Profile
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 04:21:10 PM »
Is this recent? I seem to remember a similar article also by Hampson, but it was on the glob web site a few weeks ago. Something about "no sex and he's your ex"  :?

I guess the straddle generation is making a dismount, eh.  :roll:

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 04:26:31 PM »
Well, now that my blood pressure has returned to normal. . . I really enjoyed her whinging about Smith, Smith mind you, not preparing her for marriage.  :D

k'in

• View Profile
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 04:28:33 PM »
brebis-I just googled Sarah Hampson out of curiosity and found it:

The penis rules.

The penis rules. Or should, anyway. “If men don't feel respected or loved, if they don't feel like a man, if they have to walk around on eggshells when it comes to their sex drive, if their horniness is treated like an inconsiderate act of selfishness – like typical male behaviour – then they will reassert themselves with another woman,” says a man I will call Mr. Multiply Divorced.

She's a one woman cornucopia of wisdom! Same template different month.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 04:33:33 PM »
Do you think that, having been divorced for a bit, she is now just ... um, how can I put this? ... ah ... maybe someone else can type that word.

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 04:36:13 PM »
Fussy?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 04:37:30 PM »
:rotfl:

Och, Kitty: I swear. You're worse than I am. In every way.  

Croghan27

• View Profile
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 04:39:07 PM »
being from the 'other side' in this debate ..... nah ... this is not a side thing, it is a treating people in a civilized manner thing ... but, could not this be changed from:

If men don't feel respected or loved, if they don't feel like a man, if they have to walk around on eggshells when it comes to their sex drive, if their horniness is treated like an inconsiderate act of selfishness – like typical male behaviour – then they will reassert themselves with another woman,”

To:

If women don't feel respected or loved, if they don't feel like a woman, if they have to walk around on eggshells when it comes to their sex drive, if their horniness is treated like an inconsiderate act of selfishness – like typical female behaviour – then they will reassert themselves with another man,”

Rejection breeds rejection.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

RP.

• View Profile
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 04:39:35 PM »
I start writing about this and then I have to stop.  Too many layers of crap.  It could do with a serious critique, but it doesn't deserve it.  Seriously, is this the 1980s, with all the agonizing over marriage/divorce?  It's such a typical supposition of so many that when things start to happen for upper-middle class boomers, they happen for the first time in human history.  

Newsflash:  Immature people of any age who get married will make life miserable for one another, but tragically, also for their children.  It ain't for everyone, perhaps not even for most.  You either grow wiser together and more intertwined, or you will fail.  I suspect it's always been this way, only now there is less social sanction associated with leaving, thankfully.

RP.

• View Profile
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 04:42:20 PM »
But not discussing what men feel about marriage and divorce is like not discussing what's involved in the erection (sorry) of a stable building.

ANALOGIES:  UR DOIN IT RONG

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 04:58:11 PM »

Yup. That is definitely the kind of conversation T and I used to have. We would take each other's hands, stare deeply into one another's eyes, feel our pulse begin to race, our heart beat and temperature rise, and then one of us would say, "Darling, we must always remember that we are together so that we can erect a stable building."

Yup.  :lol:

I don't think they teach literature at Smith.

deBeauxOs

D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2007, 04:58:59 PM »
I can hear the sounds of Heather Mallick's :pukey: over her former colleague's clurge, and goodness knows, she has spoken candidly of the concessions that she's made in her relationship, though from a feminist perspective.

lagatta

• View Profile
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 06:18:48 PM »
Oh, dear, and I thought the penis thing a few weeks ago was vomit-worthy.

She actually succeeds in being more vapid than Leah McLaren, and in some ways more backward than Rebecca Eckler.

And she gets paid for this crap. Just reread the last sentence, if it can be called a sentence...

As for the Rosedale thing, it breaks I don't know how many style and custom rules... in a Tranna-based newspaper that caters to affluent and supposedly eddicated people...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

D-I-V-O-R-C-E
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2007, 06:35:32 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
... She actually succeeds in being more vapid than Leah McLaren, and in some ways more backward than Rebecca Eckler.  ...
But surely as 'trendy' as Wente?  :wink:

Return To TAT