Author Topic: Why in humour? Who knows...  (Read 3804 times)

Gigi

• View Profile
Why in humour? Who knows...
« on: July 10, 2007, 05:14:24 PM »
http://www.snopes.com/racial/mistaken/hitfloor.asp

Ok, so I understand what the take is on this when a white person sends it around, but I'd sure like to see what she says about the fact that I was sent this by a black friend.

BLACK ROBBERS - True Story [apparently not]

By far the best email i've read so far....For anyone who didn't see David Letterman's take on this: (and it's a true story...)

On a recent weekend in Atlantic City, a woman won a bucketful of quarters at a slot machine. She took a break from the slots for dinner with her husband in the hotel dining room. But first she wanted to stash the quarters in her room. "I'll be right back and we'll go to eat," she told her husband and carried the coin-laden bucket to the elevator.

As she was about to walk into the elevator she noticed two men already aboard. Both were black. One of them was tall... very tall... an intimidating figure. The woman froze. Her first thought was: These two are going to rob me. Her next thought was: Don't be a bigot, they look like perfectly nice gentlemen. But racial stereotypes are powerful, and fear immobilized her. She stood and stared at the two men. She felt anxious, flustered and ashamed. She hoped they didn't read her mind but, they had to know what she was thinking!!!  Her hesitation about joining them in the elevator was all too obvious now. Her face was flushed. She couldn't just stand there, so with a mighty effort of will she picked up one foot and stepped forward and followed with the other foot and was on the elevator.

Avoiding eye contact, she turned around stiffly and faced the elevator doors as they closed. A second passed, and the another second, and then another.   Her fear increased! The elevator didn't move. Panic consumed her.  My God, she thought, I'm trapped and about to be robbed! Her heart plummeted. Perspiration poured from every pore.

Then one of the men said, "Hit the floor."  Instinct told her to do what they told her. The bucket of quarters flew upwards as she threw out her arms and collapsed on the elevator floor. A shower of coins rained down on her. Take my money and spare me, she prayed. More seconds passed. She heard one of the men say politely, "Ma'am, if you'll just tell us what floor you're going to, we'll push the button." The one who said it had a little trouble getting the words out. He was trying to hold in a belly laugh. The woman lifted her head and looked up at the two men.

They reached down to help her up. Confused, she struggled to her feet. "When I told my friend here to hit the floor," said the average sized one, "I meant that he should hit the elevator button for our floor. I didn't mean for you to hit the floor, ma'am." He spoke genially. He bit his lip. It was obvious he was having a hard time not laughing.

The woman thought:  My God, what a spectacle I've made of myself. She was humiliated to speak. She wanted to blurt out an apology, but words failed her. How do you apologize to two perfectly respectable gentlemen for behaving as though they were going to rob you? She didn't know what to say. The three of them gathered up the strewn quarters and refilled her bucket.

When the elevator arrived at her floor they then insisted on walking her to her room. She seemed a little unsteady on her feet, and they were afraid she might not make it down the corridor. At her door they bid her a good evening. As she slipped into her room she could hear them roaring with laughter as they walked back to the elevator.

The woman brushed herself off. She pulled herself together and went downstairs for dinner with her husband. The next morning flowers were delivered to her room - a dozen roses. Attached to EACH rose was a crisp one hundred dollar bill. The card said:"Thanks for the best laugh we've had in years."

It was signed;
Eddie Murphy

deBeauxOs

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 06:28:50 PM »
I remember reading this in an email msg someone sent me, over five years ago and thinking that it was likely not true.  Who fabricated this story and for what purpose, .... well, it boggles the mind.  :roll:

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:04:07 PM »
I remember a very similar joke, still involving a black man (of the big, scary variety!) and his large dog.  When the white dude (of the middle-aged, meek variety!) enters the elevator and the doors are shut, the black man commands "Sit!!" and the white guy dutifully does.  It's then discovered that the black man was addressing his dog.  Can you believe it?
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 08:55:08 PM »
I've seen a cartoon of a blonde woman and a black man in an elevator.  
She looks terrified and is thinking: "Don't move... don't breathe... don't attract his attention."
He looks terrified and is thinking: "I think she's dead."
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 05:48:11 AM »
:lol:

I think that people laugh partly because they know that the stereotypes are still operative in many people's minds, even if we're all supposed to be beyond stereotyping. There are a lot of nerves out there.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 07:12:38 AM »
Isn't laughter supposed to be a release from some tension? A realization that some fear was unfounded. Fear normally results in the classic fight or flight reaction - the adrenline for that is still in the body and when the reason is shown to be bogus it works itself off in laughter.

:rotfl:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

deBeauxOs

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 11:56:21 AM »
Joke comprehension may decrease with age ...  A new psychology study at Washington University ... suggested that because older adults may have greater difficulty with cognitive flexibility, abstract reasoning and short-term memory, they also have greater difficulty with tests of humour comprehension. ...

But who decides what's funny? The researchers, citing past work in the field, wrote that humor research is "rooted in the philosophical notion that humor arises from a sense of incongruity, a conflict between the expected and the actual."

"Successful comprehension of humor occurs upon resolving something that is seemingly incongruous with a logical but less obvious explanation." ...

Mak said humor comprehension merits further study because of the potential physical and psychological benefits of humor. "I think it's really important to note this doesn't mean older adults aren't funny or don't understand humor," Mak, who is from Los Angeles, said.

Now that I find funny - not hahaha but strange.  What relevance does her city of origin have on her research?  :?

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs

Now that I find funny - not hahaha but strange.  What relevance does her city of origin have on her research?  :?

Just the sort of response I'd expect from an Easterner.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Why in humour? Who knows...
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 06:55:26 PM »
:rotfl:

deBeauxOs

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »
:annoyed:  

Say ... arborman are you resurecting old threads as a way of avoiding having to write your report?  :whis:

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 07:23:31 PM »
:oops:
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Return To TAT