Author Topic: Feminist publishing and blogging  (Read 5835 times)

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
Re: Feminist publishing and blogging
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 08:42:58 PM »
I am pretty sure that suicide is No. 3 for younger males, 15-24, and  No. 1 for gay males that age -- which is very sad when you think about it.

I think suicide ranks higher among men than women because men just do it. They shoot themselves, for example.

Women take pills or slash their wrists, and often call somebody, or get discovered and saved.

There are roughly 30,000 suicides in the United States each year, and three-fourths of those are men. But the number of attempted suicides is at least 10 times that, and even that estimate may be low because many suicide attempts are euphemistically classified as lacerations or accidental poisonings when patients receive treatment in hospital emergency rooms.

Although suicide rates are lower among women, women lead men two to one in suicide attempts. So, Murphy says at least 200,000 women are involved in suicide attempts annually. But he points out that attempted suicide most often is not an attempt to actually end one's life. Its purpose, he says, is to survive with changed circumstances.

"An attempted suicide is not really an attempt at suicide in about 95 percent of cases. It is a different phenomenon. It's most often an effort to bring someone's attention, dramatically, to a problem that the individual feels needs to be solved. Suicide contains a solution in itself," he says.

In attempted suicide, both men and women tend to use methods that allow for second thoughts or rescue. Murphy says that when people intend to survive, they choose a slowly effective, or ineffective, means such as an overdose of sleeping pills. That contrasts to the all-or-nothing means like gunshots or hanging used by actual suicides.

In the past, researchers who looked at the high rate of attempted suicide in women concluded that women were just not as efficient as men at taking their own lives. Murphy calls that "sexist baloney" and points to statistics that show that like men, women who commit suicide most often use guns. However, even as the number of women using the most lethal means increases, the suicide rate in women has slowly declined.

"So it really goes back to the same thing -- that women, when they intend to do it, can be just as effective as men in committing suicide. But they aren't so inclined," Murphy says.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/11/981112075159.htm
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »
Among young gay men, but just as sadly, among young Aboriginal men. And I know a lot of cases of young Aboriginal women too, not shying away from lethal methods. :(

I didn't know any REALLY young gay men who committed suicide, though now my friend B who did so at 35 would seem young.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 06:16:08 AM »
One of the best friends of my youth jumped into Niagara Falls when she was thirty-three. I'm pretty sure she meant it, although knowing her, she might have had a wild hope that she could actually take flight on the way down. Or something. Shook a lot of people badly.

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 08:19:51 PM »
How awful, and spectacular at the same time.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 08:27:32 PM »
I'm thinking of blogging about her one day, although I think I would ask permission of her ex and a couple of other members of the family first. I have beautiful pictures of her and beautiful memories of times that they couldn't know, and it seems to me a shame that those should be lost. But I worry about hurting any of them -- don't want to do that.

What a vexed subject. Who owns the memories?

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »
You do.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 08:10:32 AM »
Almost a pity it would just be a blog item too. I can see all that story vividly, in the context of the time, and the hushing up of suicides that still went on then.

It seems to be about the time our hopes to change everything were dashed like your friend on the rocks beneath the falls. And I can certainly envision suicidal despair coupled with a mad hope that she would somehow fly away.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 08:33:15 AM »
The Guardian is running another excerpt from Ehrenreich's book about positive thinking. This chapter is called "Smile! You've got cancer," which made me laugh, given what I already knew about Ehrenreich.

It's a very good piece of popular writing, although I'm surprised she doesn't mention a few people who've thought about this problem before, especially Susan Sontag, Illness as Metaphor.

Guess how I can tell that lagatta has already read this article?  ;)

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 09:52:19 AM »
Quote from: lagatta
Almost a pity it would just be a blog item too. I can see all that story vividly, in the context of the time, and the hushing up of suicides that still went on then.

It seems to be about the time our hopes to change everything were dashed like your friend on the rocks beneath the falls. And I can certainly envision suicidal despair coupled with a mad hope that she would somehow fly away.

Just a quick insert here about suicide:

Montana 3rd state to allow doctor-assisted suicide

This is from the usually dreadful Yahoo news people (a cheap Fox-clone) - but this seems neutral, if a tad tardy. (It happened on 9 Dec.)
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 10:10:56 AM »
OT, but that's an interesting ruling, Croghan. I knew about Oregon but not about Washington state, and now there's Montana. Gee: what's going on out west? Who's next: Idaho?   ;)

Srsly, these are not necessarily liberal places -- even Oregon can go either way on many issues -- but they do have strong libertarian traditions.

It has been a while since I read much about the Oregon law, but it's my understanding that a majority of people given permission to organize an assisted death don't actually use it. They feel better knowing that they have the power if they need it, but they tend not to exercise it.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 10:53:40 AM »
Naturally, as soon as I posted something on this thread - I find something else that is appropriate. So here I am, off into multiple posting territory.

Had not gone to "Informed Comment", Juan Cole's blog,  in a while and was pleased to see his is still an interesting as ever. One of the big attraction of his reports is that he covers what has and is happening in the Arabian world. (He speak the language.) All during the western paper's touting of the glory of the 'surge' in Iraq he daily quoted the numbers of bombs going off in marketplaces and the numbers killed - putting the lie to the effectiveness of any surge.

That the coalition troops had withdrawn to armed enclaves meant that, for the press from the 'all people are created equal' countries of the west, no deaths of important people were there to report.

As everybody knows Sunnis hate Shiites. The last big blast in Pakistan, that killed 88 or so, was as act of evul Taliban Movement of Pakistan (Sunni) against the evul Shiites. (Iran is Shiite as is, for all intents and purposes, Iraq.)  Lumped in with this is the report of (yet another) drone attack by the US on Pakistan that killed a half dozen people. It was in an area known to contain Taliban and al Qui'da so I guess it is okay.  :whis:

But it seems the Pakistani people do not see it quite like that - the convenient balanced dichotomy of Shiite/Sunni, good guy/bad guy, our friend/our enemy does not reverberate  in Pakistan at all. What we do not hear of is:
Unreported in most Western press accounts was that Friday also saw a coordinated series of peace marches in 53 cities of Pakistan by civil society organization protesting both Taliban bombings, especially the attack on Shiites in Karachi on Monday, and the American drone strikes.

A general strike was called by largely Sunni parties in interior Sindh province to protest Monday's bombing of Shiites. In Karachi itself, Shiites staged marches and rallies.

53 fucking cities .... if we could do that we could get Harper to go to Tuk himself, and Obama to pull out of all foreign countries and several blue states.

Now for the feminist component - and naturally there is a hidden factor in that too.  :shock:

We all know that the Mooslems hate womens ... they just wait for a chance to knock off (honour kill) a daughter or two and starve a wife for lack of num nums. As for schooling them ..pppfffttt! Except: Saudi Arabia, which is a big Mooslem answer to Vatican City, has opened a co-ed campus of a university!
Saudi Arabia opened its first coeducational college campus, the King Abdullah Science and Technology University. In a country where the sexes have been so separated in public that some have spoken of 'gender Apartheid,' this move, which came from King Abdullah, provoked raging controversy. When a prominent cleric criticized having male and female students on the same campus and the teaching of modern scientific theories like Darwinism, the king summarily fired his ass. It may seem a small thing, but many big social processes start small.

As yes - those retrograde Mooslems are finally entering at least the 20th century and educating womens. Then again .... Cole smoothly points out that Princeton (remember Princeton -  Einstein moved there), became co-ed in (wait for it)1969. In fact he gives a link to the date when a whole raft of American Universities began to allow members of the gentler sex.

Juan Cole ... gotta go there more often.   :D
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 11:00:03 AM »
There will be public consultations on assisted suicide here in Québec, spearheaded by the efforts of Bloc Québécois MP Francine Lalonde (which raises an issue of jurisdiction - can Québec enact such a law (health) or would it have to be federal (criminal justice)?

A large majority of Quebecers support assisted suicide, with the opposition mostly being among meddling moralising busybodies of Margaret Somerville's ilk, though obviously there have to be safeguards.

skdadl, of course I wanted to post the Ehrenreich piece, but didn't know where to put it.

I think Sontag, more philosophical, comes at the question from a somewhat different angle than Ehrenreich.

And Croghan, Iran is another Muslim country where the educational level among women has risen dramatically.  As for recent dates on women's emancipation in Western countries, another, more recent still is when husbands could be charged with rape of their wife within marriage bonds. In most places very recent indeed.
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
OT, but that's an interesting ruling, Croghan. I knew about Oregon but not about Washington state, and now there's Montana. Gee: what's going on out west? Who's next: Idaho?   ;)

Srsly, these are not necessarily liberal places -- even Oregon can go either way on many issues -- but they do have strong libertarian traditions.

It has been a while since I read much about the Oregon law, but it's my understanding that a majority of people given permission to organize an assisted death don't actually use it. They feel better knowing that they have the power if they need it, but they tend not to exercise it.

It is unfortunate the the person behind the decision died the day before the ruling came down.

skdadl - I suspect there is more to come in that battle - it was a judicial decision, not an act of their legislature - it was decided by a judge. Wait for no end of bills, at least private and possibly government sponsored to pop up in their legislature.

you must have heard about Oregon lately ..... it just got waxed by Ohio State in the Rose Bowl, 27 - 17.
:football:

Return To TAT