Author Topic: peanut allergies  (Read 7629 times)

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
    • http://www.offhand.ca
peanut allergies
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 10:54:48 AM »
So Wee G is allergic to milk and peanuts, it turns out.   Really allergic to milk, not lactose intolerant.  

We suspected the milk thing as the few times he was even slightly exposed to dairy he broke out in hives.  So we have been on soy milk and rice milk for a while and avoiding dairy entirely.  We finally got in to see an allergist last week and he did the initial scratch test with the big food allergens and some common environmental allergens.

It's an interesting process, holding your child as his arms are filled with tiny scratches, labeled in pen. We waited for 15 minutes or so while his body was given a chance to react to the exposure.  Sure enough, he had 2 big hives.  The biggest was the peanut hive, and then there was one for milk as well.

He has to have an epi-pen for peanuts and avoid all nuts entirely in case of cross-contamination.  With milk we have to watch him closely if he is exposed, as it may develop into an anaphylactic reaction.  So he's on a strict milk-free diet; I have to read labels like crazy, and all the rest.  Eating out is going to be a disaster; most of the fun ethnic food is out because of the nuts, and italian because of the cheese... sigh.  

I am told he will likely grow out of the milk allergy, possibly by age 2 or 3.  Peanut he may or may not grow out of.  We'll just have to be vigilant and get tested regularly.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
peanut allergies
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 11:00:52 AM »
Och, vicky, that is a frustration and a consternation and a damnation and all those other nations.

I know you and your indomitable positive thinking, so I know you'll have this organized in no time ... But it is very hard to have to do it, and to think of Wee G having to learn about dangers. It's not fair.  :cry:

lagatta

• View Profile
peanut allergies
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 11:05:12 AM »
You have to read labels like a hawk, especially for milk products, as an allergy is to milk protein, found in many guises. The doc will no doubt give him some kind of calcium supplement. There is more chemical shite in food than when I was little, but on the other hand there are more people who can't digest milk due to more ethnic diversity (this is mostly lactose intolerance, still)... It is a bit of a double whammy, as now there are a lot of East and Southeast Asian places where G could safely eat in terms of milk, but nuts remain a concern, even if there are none in the dish you order.

Not all Italian or other Mediterranean foods contain cheese. Still, eating out with an allergic kid is a serious problem.

Kosher parve recipes for cakes and pastry will carefully eschew any milk products, but you have to be certain as to the lack of peanuts or other nuts.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
peanut allergies
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 11:07:28 AM »
Cripes. As if feeding kids wasn't already such a complicated issue, in all kinds of ways.  :shock:  :(
Here's to hoping he'll grow out of both allergies.  :hug:

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
peanut allergies
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 11:21:29 AM »
yeah eating out is going to be verrrry difficult.  We figure tex-mex is OK as you can have fajitas without cheese.  Indian is out (ghee), as is Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese....  all our favourites.  I can still cook stuff at home.  Patak's curry paste is OK, I have discovered.  G likes milk curry cooked with coconut milk and I did a stir fry a few weeks ago that he enjoyed.

Maybe he'll like sushi...

The number of different ways milk products can be added to food is astounding. We have a long list of things to look for on labels.  I suspect we are going to be avoiding a lot of processed food, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it does mean a lot more work for the Webgeek and I.  

I have a good vegan cake recipe for birthdays, and I can always make pastry with shortening (not that I make pastry but in theory....).  I did biscuits with rice milk and Vegan Buttery Sticks (mmmmm) and they turned out OK.  Christmas baking is going to be interesting...  Kosher recipes are good, but apparently some prepared kosher food can still contain milk products.

I'll have to talk to the doc about calcium.  The soy milk and rice milk is fortified, which may be enough, I'm not sure.   Might just start him on multivitamins just to be safe

lagatta

• View Profile
peanut allergies
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 11:42:55 AM »
Kosher products marked PARVE or PAREVE (often just a P) are definitely milk-product free. They are very strict about that, and it was a lifesaver when I was a milk-allergic kid as there wasn't the labelling there is now. (On the other hand, there were fewer weird products where milk and other things are hiding). Hence such bread (the old typical "Jewish rye bread" was always milk free at a time when milky stuff was everywhere. Don't forget to check ingredients in bread.

You can always contact a Kashrut authority about what they authorise in products.

Vegan baked goods are also egg-free, and there is no reason wee G can't enjoy a cake containing some egg (really helps with pastry) if he isn't allergic to eggs.

I no longer have the lethal milk allergy - think a majority of kids outgrow it - but not having milk products as a child is prolly why I'm moderately lactose-intolerant. I can have some goat's and ewe's cheese and yoghourt, but wouldn't even try to drink such milks, and don't touch cow's milk.

The usual Christmas food bank drives got me thinking about that too, as the "food" such charities dole out is often toxic to the allergic (milk, eggs, fish products etc) or damaging to people with celiac disease, diabetics, people with cholesterol problems etc. So much sugar, fat, white flour... and at best, milky stuff. Sad.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

peanut allergies
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 07:20:21 PM »
Oh, that's crummy, vicky. Is wee G even a year old? I too think that there is hope for him to lose the milk allergy after he is 2 or 3 years old.

I don't know if you will find this info useful. I read about a week or so ago that the longer you delay feeding nuts to your baby, the lesser the chance of him having an allergic reaction. Clearly, wee G already has an allergic reaction, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit and I wonder if there is any chance that the severity of his reaction will lessen with time.

I can imagine how stressful it must be to read the catch-all phrase 'may contain nuts' on packet after packet. :(

You could always learn to cook Indian food and become my new best friend. ;) There is an egg curry recipe cooked with coconut milk that I posted long ago on the cheap, but not boring foodie thread. (ETA: link

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
peanut allergies
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 07:55:18 PM »
We kept G away from even traces of nuts, intending to avoid them until he was 3 as per the current recommendation.  So the allergy was just lurking there, I'm afraid.  

He turned 1 in October.  We had been really careful about food introduction... which is why this is so frustrating!  

I do need to learn how to make indian food!

Timebandit

• View Profile
peanut allergies
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 09:33:59 PM »
Vicky, so sorry to hear about the food allergies!  That really sucks, as if it isn't already hard enough to make sure you're feeding the little monkeys stuff that's good for them.

Indian food is often not as hard to make as it looks, and if you cook at home you can use veg oil instead of ghee.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

peanut allergies
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 11:50:54 AM »
You can also use vegetable ghee.

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
peanut allergies
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 02:41:44 PM »
what's it made of?

lagatta

• View Profile
peanut allergies
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 02:34:17 PM »
Here is an article from the Guardian about a chef's response to her son's food intolerances: Let them eat cake
Rosa Luxemburg

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
peanut allergies
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 02:44:27 PM »
cool.  I am going to look into that book.  Thank god he's not intolerant to gluten in addition to his allergies!

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
Re: peanut allergies
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 10:09:13 PM »
Great news!  We had WeeG re-tested today and he has outgrown the dairy allergy!  Yay!!!!!  We can start introducing him, starting with cheese and yoghurt and working our way up to milk.  I'm so excited.

He is still sensitive to peanut, but the doc says he stands a "reasonable chance" of outgrowing the peanut allergy as well.  We'll test him in 2 years and he might be able to do the Peanut Challenge, when they give them small doses of peanuts in a controlled environment.

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: peanut allergies
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 08:29:11 AM »
Wonderful news, Vicky!

Here is a baked-goods line developed by the family of a little boy with severe allergies to peanuts, nuts, dairy and egg: http://alimentsangegardien.com/ http://www.guardianangelfoods.com/

Just so the kid isn't allergic to the apple purée substituting for the eggs in some of the products (as I was when little)!

Now you have METRO supermarkets in Ontario, which carry this line (so you don't have to cross to Gatineau).
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT