Author Topic: Deaf and Hard of hearing issues  (Read 15077 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Deaf and Hard of hearing issues
« on: August 14, 2007, 04:22:21 PM »
Could we continue the Captioning discussion here? And thanks to Fearless Leader for the new forum! :hug:

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:47:05 PM »
Thanks, Debra!

Boom Boom, I meant to ask you before: do you watch DVDs? Are you satisfied with the captioning/subtitles?  

Most stuff is ok, but a lot of independent studio or documentaries are not captioned/subtitled. My husband's not completely deaf, so he can *sometimes* strain and manage to follow along, reading lips. We just have to  pause frequently, so I can 'catch him up' on what he missed. There are some  really tough ones though: anything with lots of whispering or strong accents is impossible.

Luckily, we live in a pretty solid building, and you can't hear our loud-tv unless you're standing *right* outside our door.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 06:41:55 PM »
No, I don't have a DVD player (yet). I have about two dozen VHS tapes, all closed captioned, and are very good cc.

I've been told by friends that closed captioning on DVD's is excellent.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 06:59:34 PM »
This does not pertain ONLY to hard-of-hearing people, but closed captioning can also be very interesting for language learning.

Of course it DOES apply to hard-of-hearing language learners, who have to adopt strategies based more on sight, or one-to-one phonics that is pretty much lip-reading and how to make sounds.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 07:09:23 PM »
(edited)

I used to have a Spanish language station that I watched through closed captioning. I don't have it anymore - but when I did it was fun to watch and see if I could get through a complete program.

GDKitty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 10:02:44 AM »
Boom Boom: you mentioned that you had hearing aid(s) as a kid (in the old thread). Do you use some now? Are you pleased with them?

This has been a source of enormous frustration. Mr. Kitty tried three different kinds, to no avail. His hearing loss is just oddball enough to make current technology next-to-useless. The last audiologist was a real A-hole, and joked, "Hey, maybe you'll get lucky and we'll figgur this stem-cell stuff out in your lifetime."  

My remaining gran uses hearing aids. They work for her general geriatric hearing loss (she's 86), but there's still that unnerving sensation that you're listening to life on an old AM radio (something Mr. Kitty complained about too).

Just wondering if you've had similar frustrations, or if you're pleased with your experiences, BB.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 12:15:03 PM »
I've worn hearing aids since I was about 6 or 7. My current hearing aid is an analog, and I have a new digital aid, but I can't seem to get used to the digital - the sound is awful, plus the ear mold is too tight.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 01:14:53 PM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
I've worn hearing aids since I was about 6 or 7. My current hearing aid is an analog, and I have a new digital aid, but I can't seem to get used to the digital - the sound is awful, plus the ear mold is too tight.

After too many years in boiler plants my father's hearing (and partially now, his son's) is shot in many ranges. He got a rather pricy hearing aid but the problem was that his mind could not handle it. It amplifyed all sound, whereas the normal hearing mechanicism makes decisions as to what is important and what is not and some are tuned out.

Do you have this problem - large parts of my hearing is shot ... particularily in the mid to high ranges. It is odd to see people fading in and fading out.  :shock:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 01:18:38 PM »
Hmm.  The current really expensive hearing aids have digital signal processing systems that are supposed to amplify only the sounds in the range that you've lost and only insofar as you would have heard them if your hearing were working.  Or so I've been *told*.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 01:24:15 PM »
My analog hearing aid cost about $400 in 2003, and my new digital cost $1000 last month (paid by Quebec medicare). A really expensive digital hearing aid is about $4000, so mine is obviously bottom-of-the-line digital.

The real problem is the earmold - it's just too !@#!!! tight, and really uncomfortable.  This hearing aid dealer makes the worst earmolds it's ever been my experience to endure.  :rant2:

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 01:34:28 PM »
Quote from: Mandos
Hmm.  The current really expensive hearing aids have digital signal processing systems that are supposed to amplify only the sounds in the range that you've lost and only insofar as you would have heard them if your hearing were working.  Or so I've been *told*.

Dad's problem was not so much the range .... that is mine, his trouble was that the sound of a car driving by, or a door closing or wind noise was amplified the same as conversation. His hearing had been so bad for so long that the mental facilities that are supposed to handle this were atrophied.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 01:39:15 PM »
In my case, it really doesn't make much difference how much the hearing aid can amplify sound, it's my sound comprehension or discrimination that's the real concern - in other words, I can hear the sound of conversation, but can not discern what is being said. My worse hearing environment is still the telephone, followed by large groups. I can function in small groups of 3 - 6 people. I'm absolutely helpless in a group larger than 5 or 6 people.  :(

GDKitty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 01:48:31 PM »
Mr. Kitty's bilateral analog hearing aids, including cast, were $3 000. They were not kitted out with auto-adjustment for spurious noises like fire-alarms, shrieking babes etc. (i.e. manual adjustment only)

After trying & returning & tweaking & returning 3 separate pairs, the audiologist finally gave up and gave us our money back, save for the cost of the cast.  Well, not "our," money...Mr. Kitty's late-grandpa loaned us the dough at the time.

He was considering taking another shot, now that there's been some advancement in the digital hearing aid technology, but they're (a) too expensive and (b) not likely to work very well for his particular kind of loss (well...according to two diff audiologists...maybe third try's the charm).

GDKitty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 01:51:04 PM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
My worse hearing environment is still the telephone, followed by large groups. I can function in small groups of 3 - 6 people. I'm absolutely helpless in a group larger than 5 or 6 people.  :(

We no longer even try to attend parties anymore. It's just too hard, and I've discovered how impatient and cruel some people can be.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 01:55:02 PM »
This is really helpful to read, you guys.

I don't mean that you should be responsible for our ignorance, but it is very generous of you to address it and help to change it by talking this way. Thank you very much.   :hug:

Return To TAT