Author Topic: The Daily Asshole  (Read 32388 times)

Dave

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thegallopingbeaver.blogspot.com
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 12:11:20 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
Two things about that post of RA's:

"Demographics": well, we know what that is code for.

And second, he is excruciatingly boring. Lord, but how he does go on and on and on.


Agreed!

By the way, I called in a friend.
6 percent of the world\'s population cannot impose it\'s will on the other 94 percent. There cannot be an American solution for every problem. John F. Kennedy

Berlynn

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6363
    • View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008, 12:32:56 PM »
You have good friends, Dave!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Dave

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thegallopingbeaver.blogspot.com
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2008, 12:45:11 PM »
Quote from: Berlynn
You have good friends, Dave!


They are indeed. All of them.  :hug:
6 percent of the world\'s population cannot impose it\'s will on the other 94 percent. There cannot be an American solution for every problem. John F. Kennedy

matttbastard

  • Fuck with me and FIND OUT.
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2174
    • View Profile
    • http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 01:04:16 PM »
What a stupid, pathetic little troll (an assessment offered entirely in good faith).  

Amanda went easy on him. :lol:
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

Gigi

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2478
    • View Profile
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 01:14:27 PM »
Oooooo.  I kept following the links until I reached this:

Quote
Not having children carries a social stigma too...you're thought of as selfish and unwomanly, unless of course you can't have any, in which case you are to be pitied and told you can always adopt.


Selfish and unwomanly, eh?  I'm now waiting for the person who says that to me.


Of course, it's not going to happen, just because I want it to.


(It's in the comments that accompany this post...)

deBeauxOs

  • Guest
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2008, 02:18:12 PM »
Quote from: matttbastard
... Amanda went easy on him.
She did call him hysterical, though ...  :wink:

Dave

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thegallopingbeaver.blogspot.com
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2008, 02:18:31 PM »
Quote
Not having children carries a social stigma too...you're thought of as selfish and unwomanly, unless of course you can't have any, in which case you are to be pitied and told you can always adopt.


Ask Cheryl about that one. She's had that one tossed in her face, along with a load of other objections to her, you know, making a personal choice that is really nobody else's business.
6 percent of the world\'s population cannot impose it\'s will on the other 94 percent. There cannot be an American solution for every problem. John F. Kennedy

deBeauxOs

  • Guest
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2008, 02:27:29 PM »
Found in the many great responses to Pandagon's blog is a link to this about choosing motherhood.
Quote
"I'm not persuaded that there really is a loss of autonomy involved"--which is just laughable and not worth refuting; childbearing is so very NOT "of a kind with other autonomy losses consequent on voluntary choices" because, as the book apparently points out (according to the very essay I'm quoting), having a kid is pretty much the only "voluntary" decision that one is not allowed to walk away from. Literally: this very evening I found myself explaining to pseudonymous kid that no, I could not let him just sit in the car while I went into the fast food place (yum) to buy dinner because 1. it is dangerous; 2. it is illegal. A small, petty example, but a significant one that, until you've had a little kid who you must tote around, like a 25 lb. sack of stubborn, questioning, clumsy potatoes that kicks off its shoes at every opportunity but can't put them back on by itself, you can't really understand. I would wager that there are few other voluntary commitments that require so much physical and mental energy. You try thinking when your kid won't shut up asking you "why" every 30 seconds, and then tell me there's no loss of autonomy there.

GDKitty

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4232
    • View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »
Quote from: Dave
Quote
Not having children carries a social stigma too...you're thought of as selfish and unwomanly, unless of course you can't have any, in which case you are to be pitied and told you can always adopt.

Ask Cheryl about that one. She's had that one tossed in her face, along with a load of other objections to her, you know, making a personal choice that is really nobody else's business.

I think I can relate to Cheryl :(  The other stuff I can handle (e.g. "you're missing out on a fundamental human experience" etc), but the direct or indirect accusation of selfishness really stings.

lagatta

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13093
    • View Profile
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2008, 03:21:41 PM »
Oh, after a while you develop your F.O.A.D reflexes...

As for the human experiences thing, to the extent that we have choices - they are always limited by society, internalised beliefs, material resources, health etc - and always by time - we are always missing out on some fundamental human ones for others.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 10640
    • View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2008, 03:22:53 PM »
I've never understood how it is selfish to give breeding a pass. Couldn't just as good a case for breeding being selfish be made?

And how about those couples who spend thousands of dollars, untold hormonal hell, and the ups and downs of hope and despair trying to conceive their 'own' child? Like, what's so special about their DNA? As anne often points out, there are lots of kids who need a home out there.

anne cameron

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2845
    • View Profile
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2008, 03:25:49 PM »
So, we know we have reclaimed some words and are reclaiming others.  "Bitch" no longer impacts me or my daughters negatively, the most response it gets is a wide grin and "dam right!".  And I think I'm going to start reclaiming the word "selfish".

The only one who has EVER been there for me at all times throughout thick and thin is my Self.  My Self doesn't fib, lie, prevaricate or bullshit me.  My Self leads the way and often knows before the rest of me does what it is I have to do with and for my own betterment, and-or that of those to whom I feel commitment.

When I die my Self will be the only one who is there with me to the very end.

So yeah, I am going to be selfish from here on out!  Time for another wide grin and "dam right!".

I haven't followed these links (yet), Self and I have been doing laundry, making spaghetti sauce, cleaning up the evidence of grrrrrrrrrrrls in the bathroom, little obligations like that, but I will.  Self and I will check the links.  

I am SO glad feminazi's stole his wife, girlfriend, mother, sisters, and acquaintances.  They all deserved better than him.  Not too sure about his car, I expect just cleaning it out will eat an afternoon Self and I could have enjoyed down by the river but it might make a great planter for spring bulbs, you never know.

Whine whine whine.  Thou shalt know them by their whine.

Debra

  • Administrator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 11228
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2008, 03:27:42 PM »
Aren't most decisions we make in life selfish decisions?

We live in houses with electricity and heating and furniture etc, because it creates comfort and warmth. But at a cost to the environment and not everyone, everywhere can afford a home.

And if we run to great lengths of population even fewer people will be able to afford the comforts and poverty will continue to grow and the long thought dead diseases of poverty will continue to rear their ugly heads and soon plaques will do what birth control has ceased to......

So hey - congrats to the selfish... throw them a party!! :party2
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13093
    • View Profile
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2008, 03:41:54 PM »
The people I truly would define as selfish is the ones who have their fertilised sperm+egg implanted in the womb of some poor lady in India or elsewhere. If they have that money to burn, they should just give it to parents of existing children in a poorer country (preferably as a community project, not an individual gift that fosters inequality and jealousy).

I'm so selfish that I'm semi-destitute for putting the interests of refugees etc ahead of my own. Not that I'm at all interested in wealth (except for a BIG privilege - the ability to travel, even on the cheap) but a modicum of security would be nice.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 32874
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
The Daily Asshole
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2008, 04:05:06 PM »
I fear that I knew a few too many yuppies of my cohort who added the kid the way they got the reno, so no, I don't think of being childless as selfish.

And then I knew a lot of intelligent women who never had the financial or emotional security that is ideal (although all too unusual) for bearing and raising a child. I'm sure some of them wanted children, but they made reasonable choices not to play acrobat without a net. That's selfish?

Me, I just never have thought about these things very well in the abstract. I didn't think about getting married very seriously until I met the man I wanted to marry, and by then it was a little late for the baby number. I just don't remember caring. I know that some people really want to have a baby, but I honestly never knew what that feeling was like, not the way, say, that I knew what it felt like to want to have sex.

People are different, eh?

And Anne is right: at the end, what you have is your self. Even when you are surrounded by people who love you, that is a trip you take on your own, and it is a sentimental lie to deny that. That, of course, is the deep reason that all the survivors are so devastated -- because they know they couldn't really help -- but it is the truth.

 

Return To TAT