Author Topic: Critters and Pets  (Read 352928 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« on: May 30, 2006, 07:54:16 AM »
This board is totally puurfect for me, nice and light.

Our road was dead-ended. My dog has been skunked twice. Late at night I always walk towards the river to see the night sky and look up, way way up. But there was a skunk pretty much at my feet and I didn't know it. Too late, my dog took off after it and she got it square in the face. Up all night cleaning her, that was 2 weeks ago. Now she won't even go out at night.

My daughter's cat is back living with us. Apparently he hated the city. We've always called him Shithead, but his name is Sir Scarf (she named him when she was 10 and now she is 20) He loves it here. He's a dirtbag, goes down to the river, drinks from it and waits til sunset to paw the wee crabby things with pincers. He's never been pinched. He plays with them. And he walks with me everywhere, me, my dog and shithead. He also suns on a huge rock that sits on the riveredge and watches the fishes bite at sunset. He also chases rabbits, they are aplenty, but never hurts them.

There are 6 goose parents and between them they have 18 goslings. Two very distinct groups, older and much younger. The parents keep them separated as they are teaching them different things. They constantly honk at my dog, who loves to race down to the river and scatter them.

There is also an otter like creature, that lives on the bridge by the bait shop. He's very friendly, he's the bait shop mascot. The lady who owns the bait shop is about 70 and she gave me hell last week, when she found me wandering way off the path and into the woods with my dog. But when I asked her what she was doing there, she said she was a woodswoman, so knows her woods. She took me to see literally thousands and thousands of trilliums, white/pink/ and mauve. Just gorgeous.

The turtles have laid their eggs along the river edge and the foxes have dug them up. My dog chased a fox, which was running for its life because it had a big juicy rabbit in its mouth. Next the mother rabbit came running out to chase the fox. So the fox was being chased by my dog and the mother rabbit. I simply stood still and watched the flurry of activity, knowing it would all settle within a minute, when the fox darted into the too thick, thicket.

And that's what I've been seeing for the last couple of weeks.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

schooner

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 11:40:53 PM »
Gulliver, the cat who thinks he's a dog, usually comes along on my walks in the woods. We discovered a big excavation site - must be a population explosion among woodchucks. I also discovered something very sad.

When we first moved here, one of the neighbours had a yellow dog that they didn't have much time for. Nice little guy, JD. Our dogs hated him, but they were fenced in the back yard, so he could come 'round the front. We felt sorry for him, out in all weathers, and would feed him sometimes. Well, the people moved away, and i heard that their grown son, who lives in a nearby town, took the dog. Our dogs died: Daisy, three years ago; Niki,  last fall. This past winter, we lost both old cats. Last Saturday, i noticed a little wooden marker in the woods: "RIP JD, 1992-2006". I guess he was loved, after all.  
But it also means that that whole generation of pets is gone.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Critters and Pets
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 08:16:10 AM »
Oh, that brought a tear, schooner. *sniff*

An otter. I would love to have a friendly neighbourhood otter. They are so funny, or at least they look as though they are having such fun. I've only ever seen film of them sliding down snowbanks or snowy hills, but that looks like pure delight in motion.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 08:02:27 PM »
It's not an otter SK, but it is an otter-like mammal. I know the name, just can't find it in my memory right at the moment. It is gorgeous, with big brown eyes, all sad/full of hope/mischevious(sp?) as well. In any case, I came across it again today. It seems to like playing games with my dogs head. What is bizarre is my dog when she is wet, also looks exactly like this animal, if only in the head. Her eyes are also big brown, sad/full of hope.

I find the comparisons darling. I know I am pathetic. But I always aim for each animal to just be what it is. I saw the thread on Toys, which I am avoiding like the plague (soon come) because my animals toys are sticks, and for cats a piece of string coiled up in a balled piece of tin foil. Shithead will even find a way to climb up the canoe hut to get it.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

deBeauxOs

Critters and Pets
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 08:30:22 PM »
I have just one cat now.

But I think of Jane Siberry's song - "Everything reminds me of my dog" whenever I see another animal.  They all have some quality that reminds me of my little feline animal companion.  

Chipmunk, polar bear, chickadee, piglet, gecko - well maybe not tarantula - they all some manner or side that ressembles my sweet Poquita.

Say toedancer, could that critter be a muskrat?

Toedancer

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:45:21 PM »
Ah  :oops:  yea, that's what it is. For sure.

lagatta

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 08:27:12 AM »
BIG pussycats this time:

In Punjab, India, an old-age home for lions - the products of an ill-advised breeding programme between Asian and African lions to produce many big cats for circuses and exhibits - has opened its doors: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5047464.stm
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 08:37:42 AM »
Thanks for that link lagatta - very interesting story.

I wonder why crosses between Asiatic and African lions would cause disease? Usually crosses between breeds produce stock that has hybrid vigour, but obviously it's not an absolute rule. There must be some kind of immune-related gene that gets left out of the mix, or gets scrambled.

I have a few sneezy cats (some in the barn, one in the house) and I hate to imagine what a chronically sneezing lion would be like to care for...I get images of a zookeeper diving for cover as a sneeze comes on.  :shock:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Critters and Pets
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 08:56:20 AM »
Och, that story hurts. I hope they get all the other old guys into the new enclosure as quickly as possible.

It is odd that the hybrids would have more chronic problems, isn't it. I've been so intent on opposing pure-breeding that I've never learned about the problems of cross-breeding, although I have been horrified in the past by experiments to produce "niche" or "couture" animals -- like miniature  leopards, eg -- for fashion purposes.

faith

• View Profile
    • http://www.faithloverobertson.com
animals
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 10:33:38 AM »
Perhaps they should try pigoons or racunks?
just picture it

Toedancer

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 01:22:40 PM »
I need some advice fast. Shithead has killed and eaten two baby rabbits in the last 18 hours. Last night before sunset I gave him hell and took the wee thing away. This lunchtime he had another, half-eaten.

There are rabbit dens everywhere, yes, but this one just happens to be just outside the fence line in back. The grass is 4' and there is a den there within a bush and dead tree stump. Lazy bastard. Anyway, I just threw cayenne pepper on Shithead's sitting spot and his path in. I also tried to keep him in, but he bolted out when I let the dog in.

Any suggestions? Shouldn't the mom have moved her litter by now with this clear and present danger?

lagatta

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 01:25:34 PM »
brebis will answer more knowledgeably, but I don't believe you can train a cat not to be a predator.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

anne cameron

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 01:33:44 PM »
Nobody ever said rabbits were smart.  She probably won't move her creepers.  Unless you go out, collect the bunnies, then take on the responsibility of caring for them, shithead is going to do what he's been doing.

The cayenne will do more to keep mom bunny away than to keep shithead away.

It's horrible, it's upsetting, but... it is as it is.  And if you get too many rabbits in, on, and around your place you won't have a garden, they'll burrow holes in your yard, then when the overpopulation becomes awful they'll all get sick, and die, probably as close you your house as they can get.

Best to let shithead do what he's doing.  I sometimes think that's why Creation made rabbits in the first place... basic food supply for all carnivores.  That muscrat will feast, too.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 09:08:15 PM »
Yeah ok, their dumb. What can I say? I feel lousy about this, yet somewhat satisfied that shithead can look after himself. Look, the thing is, he ate 4 more since my last post. I believe the entire litter now. At least he's not headed for the fence anymore. This is what bugs me. After he had the lair/kill down pat' he included my Aussie for the last 2. The bloody cat actually taught my dog how to hunt and kill. I was hanging laundry very early this a.m. like 7:00 a.m. or so and sure enuf, there was Sir Scarf (as little T insists on calling him) actually allowing the Aussie to come with him, watch him snatch and run and then after he ate the entire head, left the rest for the dog. At which point I put my foot down. Aussies have dingo in them and prefer root veggies, so I was quite disgusted to see my best pal hoovering in for the guts. I did bury all remains. I said a prayer to the bunny goddess. And now I am stuck with that silly diddly in my head we sang to our kids.

Little Bunny Foo Foo,

Hopping through the forest.

Scooping up the field mice,

And bopping them on the head.

And along came a good fairy angel and she said:

"Little Bunny Foo Foo,

I don't want to see you,

I'll give you three more chances.

And if you're not good,

I'll turn you into a goon!"

So the next day...

Little Bunny Foo Foo,

Along came the good fairy angel and she said:

"Little Bunny Foo Foo,

I don't want to see you.

I'll give you two more chances.

And if you're not good,

So the next day...

Little Bunny Foo Foo,

And along came a good fairy angel and she said:

"Little Bunny Foo Foo,

I don't want to see you.

I'll give you one more chance.

And if you're not good,

So the next day...

Little Bunny Foo Foo,

I gave you three chances to be good,

And you didn't behave.

And now, I'm going to turn you into a goon!"

POOF

The moral of this story is:

"Hare today, goon tomorrow"

which totally absolves Sir Scarf, no? And WTF is does a goon look like anyway?

anne cameron

• View Profile
Critters and Pets
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 12:06:53 AM »
Did you see the Harpoon in his cowboy drag???

Return To TAT